New "MSSD/Bilingual High School" to comprise deaf, HOH, & hearing students

Status
Not open for further replies.
And PFH, I 100% agree with you. The mainstream doesn't give a shit about educating dhh kids at ALL. The mainstream knows it can get away with giving dhh kids minimal accomondations, and then they pocket the money the dhh kids bring. Therefore, a lot of mainstreamed kids do just OK....not great, just OK. ......if the mainstream is so good, then how come dhh mainstream kids have severe social issues (and I mean that overall.....it's enough of a concern that it's a perenhical concern at the Clarke School Mainstream conference) and also have severe unemployment and other life acheivement issues and concerns?

Did you attend Clarke? You seem to know a lot about their programs and the students there.

PFH would NOT send his deaf child to a mainstreamed program as a small child to put that child at risks for falling behind like many deaf/hoh children were (including myself).

Is that true PFH?

The lack of common sense here is astounding.

Thanks to all who answered my question.

I really would like to see comprehensive statistics regarding deaf education, that also includes the language background of the kids, as well as their academic performance throughout high school and beyond.

Thanks to all who answered my question.

I really would like to see comprehensive statistics regarding deaf education, that also includes the language background of the kids, as well as their academic performance throughout high school and beyond.

That sounds great....get to work!

This is not about my child. But hey, I to point out the lack of intellect coming from you and your circle of friends.

I hear it was a nice day out there in St Louis - Enjoy the outdoors?

What turns of speech led you to think of that locale?? :P

This is not about my child. But hey, I to point out the lack of intellect coming from you and your circle of friends.

I hear it was a nice day out there in St Louis - Enjoy the outdoors?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

And I think he is correct! :wave:

I don't get this place. I feel like I have walked into some kind of weird cult. I've been accused of not being deaf, told that I live in St. Louis (which is the strangest part) and I have no idea what to say. This just isn't worth it to me, sorry. I was looking for a place to discuss some Deaf ed stuff and just shoot the breeze sometimes. Guess this isn't it. :eek3:

Right, because you are a Teacher of the Deaf. By default all your students are receiving Deaf ed services.

Look at Daredevil, she is an example. Any deaf child in a private school would not have an IEP. The problem with Deaf ed being categorized as a section of special ed is that you have to prove that the disability (their words not mine) has an impact on their educational performance. If the child is at grade level, they would no longer qualify as special ed, and wouldn't have an IEP. They would instead qualify under the ADA and they could get a 504 plan.

I worked with deaf kids who were mainstreamed full time without any services. They had IEP goals with the speech dept.

I worked with deaf kids who were mainstreamed full time without any services. They had IEP goals with the speech dept.

If you worked with them, wouldn't that mean they were working with a teacher of the deaf?

If they have IEP goals, they have an IEP. But there are kids who don't. (Daredevil was clearly one.)

I don't get this place. I feel like I have walked into some kind of weird cult. I've been accused of not being deaf, told that I live in St. Louis (which is the strangest part) and I have no idea what to say. This just isn't worth it to me, sorry. I was looking for a place to discuss some Deaf ed stuff and just shoot the breeze sometimes. Guess this isn't it. :eek3:

St. Louis= Center of Oral Education. Until the past few years it had two residental oral schools. Now they are basicly early intervention programs, with a smattering of older kids.

ok, cya.

If you worked with them, wouldn't that mean they were working with a teacher of the deaf?

If they have IEP goals, they have an IEP. But there are kids who don't. (Daredevil was clearly one.)

Private school...

totally different. Public schools are tooo tied into all the laws out there.

Interesting! my post may be off the point. I know that I have not be involved with the Deaf activities for a long time. However, I do not recall of what those Deaf people say recruiting students to gain their self esteems or identify themselve as a proud deaf but none mentioned about the leadership or experience of being successful in life. WOW I must have been out of touch with that kind of stuff. I know lots of proud Deaf people have been so busy with their lives like me. It has been changes since i first watched hurwitz's vlog that he said that his goals of recruiting deaf students to enroll gallaudet to gain their self esteem and identify themselve as a proud deaf. WHAT THE HELLL!!
seriously, i am under the impression that lots of deaf/hoh kids who have no self esteem or no identify themselve as a deaf who wants to go to gallaudet and to learn ASL, better self esteem and understanding better about Deaf but what will happen when they finish gallaudet then will they go back to the old self esteems and speaking just like before.
I do not know what I think of this now anymore.

I'd like to see those deaf people get their self-esteem early instead of during Gallaudet University.

I'd like to see those deaf people get their self-esteem early instead of during Gallaudet University.

Of course that's what it suppose to be for kids to know who they are right before they come to gallaudet. In my time during gally years, there were like 1/4 kids who weren't sure about themselve by where they came from mainstreamed or being in hearning school alone except those kids who had deaf parents or had many deaf friends outside of school. Some of them did learn nicely and know who they were. Some of them who could not handle there either stayed there till they finished it or some of them left early due to not understanding ASL/Deaf culture.

I better check with my friends who work there. :shock:

Welcome to AD where all ideas are welcome as long as they conform to those of the majority of posters. Yes, you live in St. Louis because they have determined that is where you live. :) Wish you would stay as you are a breath of fresh air but I can understand your feeling and "weird cult" is an apt description.

Good luck on your journey towards becoming a TOD!

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back