New "MSSD/Bilingual High School" to comprise deaf, HOH, & hearing students

Status
Not open for further replies.
and not get IEP goals? There is something wrong with that picture because under the special education umbrella, deaf children are identified along with many other students as having special needs.

I had an IEP since I was 5 years old even before the IDEA laws were passed.

I agree. I can't think of a situation/time where a deaf child doesn't get one (an IEP). I had them all through my school years as well, and you are the same age as I (minus 1 year !! :lol: )

I'd like to see those deaf people get their self-esteem early instead of during Gallaudet University.

Totally agree! That's a very good way of looking at it. Those getting a late start and not getting that until Gallaudet, well, anything is better late than never. But yes, earlier is far better.

Totally agree! That's a very good way of looking at it. Those getting a late start and not getting that until Gallaudet, well, anything is better late than never. But yes, earlier is far better.

I think Alan Hurwitz is doing that - trying to undo the damage. He has no power in which type of school the deaf kids should be going to while growing up.

Welcome to AD where all ideas are welcome as long as they conform to those of the majority of posters. Yes, you live in St. Louis because they have determined that is where you live. :) Wish you would stay as you are a breath of fresh air but I can understand your feeling and "weird cult" is an apt description.

Good luck on your journey towards becoming a TOD!

Rick

Funny! That is how I see you and others like you as a cult. AGB is your prophet. You and others worship Hearing. You guys probably feel that it is your duty to save many deaf kids from lifetime of silence as much as possible. You probably see me and others as a lost cause. Maybe you even see us as evil and tell your implanted kid to avoid us at all cost.

I refused to be brainwashed by AG Bell!

I think Alan Hurwitz is doing that - trying to undo the damage. He has no power in which type of school the deaf kids should be going to while growing up.
That's exactly what his power is. He has the power, the financing, and the responsibility to lead Gallaudet in defining the future of deaf Ed by determining what kind of school MSSD will be -- it's charged with being the model for deaf ed and standard by which deaf Ed is measured and is in gallaudet's hands.

That exactly what his power is. He has the power, the financing, and the responsibility to lead Gallaudet in defining the future of deaf Ed by determining what kind of school MSSD will be -- it's charged with being the model for deaf ed and standard by which deaf Ed is measured and is in gallaudet's hands.

I mean all over USA. He has no power when a state decided to close down a Deaf school.

That's exactly what his power is. He has the power, the financing, and the responsibility to lead Gallaudet in defining the future of deaf Ed by determining what kind of school MSSD will be -- it's charged with being the model for deaf ed and standard by which deaf Ed is measured and is in gallaudet's hands.

So do you listen to his advice about what school your daughter should go to?

Last edited:

Ever hear of the term "Gallaudet Syndrome" and understood it?

Funny! That is how I see you and others like you as a cult. AGB is your prophet. You and others worship Hearing. You guys probably feel that it is your duty to save many deaf kids from lifetime of silence as much as possible. You probably see me and others as a lost cause. Maybe you even see us as evil and tell your implanted kid to avoid us at all cost.

I refused to be brainwashed by AG Bell!

Nope, I just think parents should not be denied any choices for their children and that there is no one or "best" way to raise and/or educate all deaf children. As there is nothing wrong with being deaf, as my daughter proves each and every day, there is no need to "save" deaf children from anything. However, as there is nothing wrong with being able to hear, if possible and if the parents believe it to be in their child's best interests, then they should be given that opportunity also.

I don't know what "you guys" think about you, but as for me, I do not bother to even waste time thinking about you so I could not care less what cause you are lost or found.
Rick

I have had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Hurwitz and believe he is a good fit to lead Gallaudet at this time.

Rick

If you worked with them, wouldn't that mean they were working with a teacher of the deaf?

If they have IEP goals, they have an IEP. But there are kids who don't. (Daredevil was clearly one.)

Good catch, wonder how a teacher in a deaf school is working with fully mainstreamed kids who do not need any services?

You know..when I was driving to pick up my son from my in-laws after work (a 75 min drive), i was thinking about how I reconnected with my "deaf ed" teacher from high school about 10 years ago. I had brunch with her...very nice and everything. I had just graduated with my BA degree and in grad school at Gallaudet. She said that in all the 20 something years she has worked with deaf/hoh kids in the public schools, I was the only one to get a college degree. Also, she added that my best friend and I along with 3 others were the only ones to graduate from high school. At the time, I was very ignorant with the issues of Deaf ed, SEE, bilingualsim and all that so I didnt think too much about it. However, because of all these threads about this subject especially with PFH's comment about about 90% of deaf kids being mainstreamed and how the scores are still showing 4th to 5th grade reading levels, I started thinking about what she had said. Wow...I was like...:shock:

That's unacceptable.

I know a few deaf who graduated from high school and they never went to a deaf school but I also know some from my oral program who dropped out of high school.

Had I remained in mainstream, I'm certain I would have dropped out of high school.

That's unacceptable.

I know a few deaf who graduated from high school and they never went to a deaf school but I also know some from my oral program who dropped out of high school.

Had I remained in mainstream, I'm certain I would have dropped out of high school.

I am not sure if she literally meant that little. I just feel that it cant be as small as 3 out of the numerous she has taught have graduated from high school. However, the point she was making was that a majority of her students dropped out of high school and almost none of them went to college.

My best friend in PA was one of her students. She never went to college. There were 4 other deaf or hoh kids under her at my high school. One of them was another good friend of mine during my freshman year but she got pregnant at 15 and dropped out of high school. The other 3 were serious serious "social" outcasts and they dropped out as well. My best friend and I were the only ones out of all 6 of us who were involved with school activities and "appeared" to have a great social life but she and I were both suffering as well. We just hid it better than the other 4.

Since joining FB, I have learned about 3 of the 4. One of them died in her 30s, the one who got pregnant has 5 kids, and the guy is working as a mechanic but has a nice family so he seems to be doing well. The 4th one..still have no idea about her.

Sometimes I feel bad that my best friend and I werent closer to them but our interests were too different.

I am not sure if she literally meant that little. I just feel that it cant be as small as 3 out of the numerous she has taught have graduated from high school. However, the point she was making was that a majority of her students dropped out of high school and almost none of them went to college.

My best friend in PA was one of her students. She never went to college. There were 4 other deaf or hoh kids under her at my high school. One of them was another good friend of mine during my freshman year but she got pregnant at 15 and dropped out of high school. The other 3 were serious serious "social" outcasts and they dropped out as well. My best friend and I were the only ones out of all 6 of us who were involved with school activities and "appeared" to have a great social life but she and I were both suffering as well. We just hid it better than the other 4.

Since joining FB, I have learned about 3 of the 4. One of them died in her 30s, the one who got pregnant has 5 kids, and the guy is working as a mechanic but has a nice family so he seems to be doing well. The 4th one..still have no idea about her.

Sometimes I feel bad that my best friend and I werent closer to them but our interests were too different.

Well granted this was first generation of mainstreamed kids. Of course there would be a lot of flaws, and a lot of kids wouldn't achieve or do well...but I have a feeling it is still going on sadly...........

Well granted this was first generation of mainstreamed kids. Of course there would be a lot of flaws, and a lot of kids wouldn't achieve or do well...but I have a feeling it is still going on sadly...........

When she worked with us, she was in her 50s so I would assume that she had been working as a teacher for at least 20 years. 20 subtracted from 1990 would be 1970. I dont know if her experience was just mainstreamed deaf kids but I know that her background was strictly oral-only deaf education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back