New "MSSD/Bilingual High School" to comprise deaf, HOH, & hearing students

Status
Not open for further replies.
DD didn't mention MSSD as "dumping grounds."

Read from the beginning. Apparently you skipped the whole section in which I was objecting to this characterization of deaf schools:

Exactly. Most kids who are at high school for Deaf School are former mainstreamers. I know you guys do not understand but a lot of Deaf Schools are sadly dumping grounds. If they reversed the philsophy, and did intense deaf schooling early on, and didn't have a lot of kids falling through the cracks in the mainstream, scores at deaf schools would IMPROVE!

I wish I had cronies. No, actually, minions would be more helpful around the house. But really, why must you always make discussion into a childish schoolyard game of us vs. them -- are you really so stuck there?

Is it just that you can't possibly wrap your head around the situation and address it straight on? You really have to make this about your own beef with me because I once said that my child would not experience the same thing you have? Get over that, really. She won't. You are not a Chinese 5YO girl growing up in the Northeast 2011 with 2 CIs, fully fluent in ASL and spoken English, attending a school for the Deaf and enjoying the daily support of a whole community of loving Deaf families and teachers and mentors there to welcome you. She has a very different experience from you. She isn't you. I'm sorry if you had a crappy childhood, but I'm not your mommy and I'm not the other kids you picked on you.

Exactly that. :)

I'm a very happy, full-fledged adult. You're right, I'm not Chinese. Never said anything about that. I'm fully fluent in ASL and spoken language, have a whole community of loving Deaf families and teachers and mentors, (AND FRIENDS) just like your daughter. (I won't address the "I'm not your mommy" part because that would just be rude here. Even I know better than to overstep boundaries.)

But, why engage in a debate about a school you've clearly identified that you HAVE NO INTENTION of sending your child to. You couldn't even answer my question the first time I asked. Why not ?

Thank you for making my point. If it makes me seem like a bitch, oh well. We're just getting tired of your troll-like behavior. All 5 of you have been banned in this past week, there's no uncertainty about that. Whatever happened to keeping this a nice, friendly, Deaf forum with RESPECT? Evidently trying to make a stand for that goes WHOOSH.

I wish I had cronies. No, actually, minions would be more helpful around the house :laugh2:. But really, why must you always make discussion into a childish schoolyard game of us vs. them -- are you really so stuck there? Stop being so fixated on attacking me personally and just take a look at the question at hand once in a blue moon.

Is it just that you can't possibly wrap your head around the situation and address it straight on? You really have to make this about your own beef with me because I once said that my child would not experience the same thing you have? Get over that, really. She won't. You are not a Chinese 5YO girl growing up in the Northeast 2011 with 2 CIs, fully fluent in ASL and spoken English, attending a school for the Deaf and enjoying the daily support of a whole community of loving Deaf families and teachers and mentors there to welcome you. She has a very different experience from you. She isn't you. I'm sorry if you had a crappy childhood, but I'm not your mommy and I'm not the other kids who picked on you.

This is about MSSD, right?

Read from the beginning. Apparently you skipped the whole section in which I was objecting to this characterization of deaf schools:

Originally Posted by deafdyke
Exactly. Most kids who are at high school for Deaf School are former mainstreamers. I know you guys do not understand but a lot of Deaf Schools are sadly dumping grounds. If they reversed the philsophy, and did intense deaf schooling early on, and didn't have a lot of kids falling through the cracks in the mainstream, scores at deaf schools would IMPROVE!

Still no mention of MSSD ? The very subject of your thread?

I wish I had cronies. No, actually, minions would be more helpful around the house :laugh2:. But really, why must you always make discussion into a childish schoolyard game of us vs. them -- are you really so stuck there? Stop being so fixated on attacking me personally and just take a look at the question at hand once in a blue moon.

Is it just that you can't possibly wrap your head around the situation and address it straight on? You really have to make this about your own beef with me because I once said that my child would not experience the same thing you have? Get over that, really. She won't. You are not a Chinese 5YO girl growing up in the Northeast 2011 with 2 CIs, fully fluent in ASL and spoken English, attending a school for the Deaf and enjoying the daily support of a whole community of loving Deaf families and teachers and mentors there to welcome you. She has a very different experience from you. She isn't you. I'm sorry if you had a crappy childhood, but I'm not your mommy and I'm not the other kids who picked on you.

I am with AlleyCat. History tends to repeat itself over and over just because the hearing people refused to listen to the Deaf people. We Deaf people have live thru the schooling, doing our best to work with others at a job. We have faced discrimination. Your daughter is only 5. Wait until she is older....

Yes. Oh well! Off for the night, g'nite everyone! :)

Still no mention of MSSD ? The very subject of your thread?

Exactly, the subject of my thread and the initial post to which DD was responding, explaining what she thinks is the reason for the change.

But, why engage in a debate about a school you've clearly identified that you HAVE NO INTENTION of sending your child to. You couldn't even answer my question the first time I asked. Why not ?

Thank you for making my point. If it makes me seem like a bitch, oh well. We're just getting tired of your troll-like behavior. All 5 of you have been banned in this past week, there's no uncertainty about that. Whatever happened to keeping this a nice, friendly, Deaf forum with RESPECT? Evidently trying to make a stand for that goes WHOOSH.

I'll try to step around your offensive, trolling statements and assume you are just having a really crappy day or ilfe and are vomiting on the board for some unrelated reason. I hope this turns around for you. I haven't been banned this week or last, but maybe you are confusing me with Jillio?

Answer to your question: yes, I have considered sending my daughter to MSSD. Although I'm not sure what bearing that has here. My concern is, as I've said, what this change to the model for all Deaf Ed means for the future of Deaf education and for bi-bi schools such as that which my daughter is enrolled at now and for placement decisions made for deaf kids.

Are you sending your child to MSSD and is that why you are discussing this? I hope people don't think they need to have a school-aged child and be considering enrollment at MSSD to give their opinions on the proposal.

You don't think those test scores are grim: 95% of the class failing a standard test that's supposed to mark the basic threshold of what an 11th grader should know? I do.

What about you? First you indicate that you wouldn't ever consider MSSD, then after I posted similar thoughts, you did a little switch and it no longer seems to bother you at all that their scores are so awful and the school that's supposed to be the model for deaf ed is, according to deafdyke, mostly "dumped" recently transferred kids. I wouldn't send my child there if I had a choice, even if it would mean sending her to a mainstream environment, something I'll be fighting against doing for years to come where I live. Unless this is a harbinger of where bilingual schools are headed and this is just the first of changes we'll be seeing to bilingual schools around the nation -- if so, I want to know all the implications of this change.

There's no "superiority" -- I said that "many CI students or HOH students who don't use interpreters aren't accounted for" in the stats for deaf student outcomes -- and they aren't, much as I wish they were. You just have such .

I do think those scores aren't exactly great. But, then again there's HUGE debate over what standardized testing scores even mean. Have you missed the debate in the media over standardized testing? Also, you're forgetting that even most CI or hoh students, who aren't in deaf ed/dhh programs (which include ORAL) still recieve extensive sped support services. Heck MAINSTREAM sped is a very large catagory for low acheivement you know!

You don't think those test scores are grim: 95% of the class failing a standard test that's supposed to mark the basic threshold of what an 11th grader should know? I do.

First, I put out the facts I came across and asked for opinions, asked of this community 'what does this mean?'. Not a lot of insight available, so I began looking into why this change might be occurring. And I posted my thoughts. I'm sure not claiming to have no opinion about it -- I do. Looks grisly to me. But I'd like to have more information, more data and some insight from those who know the school into what the real story is.

What about you? First you indicate that you wouldn't ever consider MSSD, then after I posted similar thoughts, you did a little switch and it no longer seems to bother you at all that their scores are so awful and the school that's supposed to be the model for deaf ed is, according to deafdyke, mostly "dumped" recently transferred kids. I wouldn't send my child there if I had a choice, even if it would mean sending her to a mainstream environment, something I'll be fighting against doing for years to come where I live. Unless this is a harbinger of where bilingual schools are headed and this is just the first of changes we'll be seeing to bilingual schools around the nation -- if so, I want to know all the implications of this change.

There's no "superiority" -- I said that "many CI students or HOH students who don't use interpreters aren't accounted for" in the stats for deaf student outcomes -- and they aren't, much as I wish they were. You just have such a whopping huge chip on your shoulder and such an inferiority complex that you think any criticism of an individual deaf school is an indictment of who you are as a person. If you really were the self-reliant, confident person you claim to be, you would be up in arms that the school is failing its students, the next generation of deaf, so badly.

No...It's not like that.

I do not consider MSSD for my child for several reasons, and most likely will never. Then you gave me a choice: MSSD OR mainstream. Of which I said MSSD no questions.

You see?

It is not the inferiority complex that you call it as much as you're constantly twisting things, like the above, injecting "oral" into MSSD education (of which you never answered the question I brought up about), etc.

I haven't been banned this week or last, but maybe you are confusing me with Jillio?

You were banned until September 29.

(I'm sorry, that was a little over a week ago. Today's October 8. So, about 10 days ago. Sorry, my bad.)

You know, there is such a thing as tact. I'm sorry you don't like my straightforwardness.

It's another to step over the lines about referring to my parents, or that I'm having a crappy day or life.

My questions were genuine, honest, asking. At this point, I wonder why so much meanness from you. Hm..

You were banned until September 29.

(I'm sorry, that was a little over a week ago. Today's October 8. So, about 10 days ago. Sorry, my bad.)

You know, there is such a thing as tact. I'm sorry you don't like my straightforwardness.

It's another to step over the lines about referring to my parents, or that I'm having a crappy day or life.

My questions were genuine, honest, asking. At this point, I wonder why so much meanness from you. Hm..

You seem to want to play the victim and erroneously accuse me of having being banned this week for whatever purpose that serves, but this thread isn't about you and your campaign to insult and ban people -- it's about MSSD and the proposed change to its structure and implications for the future of deaf Ed.

Is the new model for deaf Ed that Gallaudet is proposing a sign-oral hybrid? A mainstream environment of deaf, hoh, and local hearing students with both ASL and spoken English as equal means of instruction and student interaction? Would this mean co-teachers using both modes or interpreters in all classes interpreting to whatever language is not in use by the teacher? How will this model affect access? Can immersion be achieved in this environment?

Maybe this topic is something you want to ignore, hoping it will go away, but trolling the thread won't stop it. Discussing it and potentially taking action might have a constructive effect.

It's about MSSD and the proposed change to its structure and implications for the future of deaf Ed.

Is the new model for deaf Ed that Gallaudet is proposing a sign-oral hybrid? A mainstream environment of deaf, hoh, and local hearing students with both ASL and spoken English as equal means of instruction and student interaction? Would this mean co-teachers using both modes or interpreters in all classes interpreting to whatever language is not in use by the teacher? How will this model affect access? Can immersion be achieved in this environment?

lol, youre asking questions that currently cannot be answered. Or do you know things we don't?

No...It's not like that.

I do not consider MSSD for my child for several reasons, and most likely will never. Then you gave me a choice: MSSD OR mainstream. Of which I said MSSD no questions.

You see?

It is not the inferiority complex that you call it as much as you're constantly twisting things, like the above, injecting "oral" into MSSD education (of which you never answered the question I brought up about), etc.

No, I don't see. I've not inserted "oral" into MSSD education, nor have I altered the quote you pointed me to by "putting oral in there" as you say. I had nothing to do with making the proposal to merge MSSD which uses an ASL / bilingual approach with a local school in the district that uses an oral approach. Unless you are trying to suggest that the local DC 'hearing' schools actually use an ASL approach for hearing students and that the traditional bilingual school "voices off" policy will remain in effect for all students, daf, hoh, and hearing after MSSD merges into the Hamilton school. Could be, do you know something more of this than the proposal states or the recent discussions on Jeanette's site, which I linked to in my first message?

No, I don't see. I've not inserted "oral" into MSSD education, nor have I altered the quote you pointed me to by "putting oral in there" as you say. I had nothing to do with making the proposal to merge MSSD which uses an ASL / bilingual approach with a local school in the district that uses an oral approach. Unless you are trying to suggest that the local DC 'hearing' schools actually use an ASL approach for hearing students and that the traditional bilingual school "voices off" policy will remain in effect for all students, daf, hoh, and hearing after MSSD merges into the Hamilton school. Could be, do you know something more of this than the proposal states or the recent discussions on Jeanette's site, which I linked to in my first message?

you crack me up.... all that education and you choose to be that way. Well, I guess at this point it doesn't matter discussing education with you because like they say, like parents, like kids.

lol, youre asking questions that currently cannot be answered. Or do you know things we don't?

Do you really think plans to merge these 2 schools would be proposed so publicly and planning -- even to this degree -- initiated without Gallaudet having a high level concept for what this new school will be and why the change should be made? If I knew the answers to these questions, I wouldn't be asking them of this community, would I? You may not know the answers, but perhaps others do. I've posted about longitudinal studies by Gallaudet and have been contacted by members of the research team in response (good thing I said positive things :) ) ... Maybe there are planning committee members among us who might be ready at one point to start flying some ideas to see what public reaction might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back