New "MSSD/Bilingual High School" to comprise deaf, HOH, & hearing students

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm speechless...no pun intended.

OTOH, it makes perfect sense. The private oral schools are dying. Even Clarke only has less then ten residental students. So, there needs to be SOMEWHERE for the oral admins to go.
Also, it does seem like although there ARE a lot of auditory verbal style oralists (meaning assimulate into the hearing world...dhh kids don't "need" a seperate educational program) there are still oralists who are OK with sign, but they just think that spoken English needs to be a dhh kid's first language.

Let me give you something to smell.

90% of the deaf population including yourself was mainstreamed.

Average reading level for the deaf is 5th grade level.

that is NOT the deaf school's fault.

What do we do?

Hah. Excellent point.

Interesting! my post may be off the point. I know that I have not be involved with the Deaf activities for a long time. However, I do not recall of what those Deaf people say recruiting students to gain their self esteems or identify themselve as a proud deaf but none mentioned about the leadership or experience of being successful in life. WOW I must have been out of touch with that kind of stuff. I know lots of proud Deaf people have been so busy with their lives like me. It has been changes since i first watched hurwitz's vlog that he said that his goals of recruiting deaf students to enroll gallaudet to gain their self esteem and identify themselve as a proud deaf. WHAT THE HELLL!!
seriously, i am under the impression that lots of deaf/hoh kids who have no self esteem or no identify themselve as a deaf who wants to go to gallaudet and to learn ASL, better self esteem and understanding better about Deaf but what will happen when they finish gallaudet then will they go back to the old self esteems and speaking just like before.
I do not know what I think of this now anymore.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyvaSwwhiyI]Classroom Interpreter - YouTube[/ame]
A little OT, but, well, not really if the school is planning to do something along the lines of mainstreaming a whole deaf school. (watch it on YT for CC)

um.... ok? This is not exactly something new.

:hmm: No, interpreters facing pushback from classroom teachers in mainstream environments are not new, but that video is new, and the proposed change that's been announced, merging MSSD with a local district school, potentially making it a mainstreamed environment for those enrolled at MSSD, is new. As I asked in previous posts, how might this be achieved, interpreters in each class? Co-teaching models in two languages? Is this the new model for bilingual education? What's the philosophy behind the change?

:dunno: If it's reached the stage of being made a key part of Gallaudet's public announcement, someone must have outlined the strategic plan for this initiative. There must be significant thinking behind it that is in the hands of decision-makers, a model designed to work in a merged deaf+hoh+hearing school. It seems that online, in other venues, this change is being met with some surprise, but not disapproval. Here, I'm not yet sure what the reactions are.

right. And i must miss something about it as to why this video showed we are already aware. :confused:

I'd love it if you would share with me, then, how the classroom model will work, if you know it already: will there be interpreters in each class?

:hmm: No, interpreters facing pushback from classroom teachers in mainstream environments are not new, but that video is new, and the proposed change that's been announced, merging MSSD with a local district school, potentially making it a mainstreamed environment for those enrolled at MSSD, is new. As I asked in previous posts, how might this be achieved, interpreters in each class? Co-teaching models in two languages? Is this the new model for bilingual education? What's the philosophy behind the change?

:dunno: If it's reached the stage of being made a key part of Gallaudet's public announcement, someone must have outlined the strategic plan for this initiative. There must be significant thinking behind it that is in the hands of decision-makers, a model designed to work in a merged deaf+hoh+hearing school. It seems that online, in other venues, this change is being met with some surprise, but not disapproval. Here, I'm not yet sure what the reactions are.

Are you glad about this? The mainstreaming, with all the issues of interpreting, etc... It can't be a good decision. But the decision has been made.

right. And i must miss something about it as to why this video showed we are already aware. :confused:

That's what we were trying to say too. And get rid of controversy. Seems like all of us except the OP understand the purpose behind this thread.

It would be great for the hearing kids to learn ASL and understand Deaf culture. :)

lol, not surprising you skimmed over my stat.

Ok, here is my response.

Kids who are mainstreamed and not receiving "Deaf ed" services are not counted by those statistics. Those stats only reflect the kids who are being counted as deaf through those special ed departments, either because they use ASL and have an interpreter or because they are behind and have an IEP. It does not count the kids who are mainstreamed without those services because they are not categorized as deaf. They are counted as regular ed (ie hearing) when they are given the tests.

Id prefer the deaf or hearing teachers who signs rather than the interpreters and I had teachers sign with school in the past.

Ok, here is my response.

Kids who are mainstreamed and not receiving "Deaf ed" services are not counted by those statistics. Those stats only reflect the kids who are being counted as deaf through those special ed departments, either because they use ASL and have an interpreter or because they are behind and have an IEP. It does not count the kids who are mainstreamed without those services because they are not categorized as deaf. They are counted as regular ed (ie hearing) when they are given the tests.

I don't believe you at all... All I have to say is: Money.

Not really. It's very hard to take you seriously anymore. It's just troll-like behavior on your part these days. Sorry your cronies aren't here to help you out.

You have posted many times, in various forms, over the years that there is no way that you would put your daughter through "what we have gone through", so to "speak". You've been on this board for years (I emphasize that for those who are new-ish to this board and haven't seen your posting history) and engaged in many nit-picking fights with us. So, if you have no intention of doing anything with MSSD, why even bother posting that here? Typical. We may be deaf, but we're certainly not dumb.

Isn't it good that she doesn't want her child to suffer in the way so many people here said they did during their school years? Why is that bad?

rick, we're talking about modren bi-bi programs, not halfassed TC programs with a really crappy speech therapist, or programs made up of kids who did not thrive orally/ in the mainstream. This is NOT the mid 90's!!!!!
Some programs don't have great speech resources. I fully agree with you. But that doesn't mean that ALL programs don't. I'm sure you've never seen for example the oral resources at shel's school. She has said that she's got some very oral students this year.....and I bet you didn't know that the reason why boarding enrollment has declined at Clarke is b/c when oral kids start not doing well,(and not just kids who had/have extremely serious oral defiects) they're sent to the state deaf school or a local Sign program......back as recently as 10 years ago there were viable res programs at CID/St. Jospeh's and Clarke! The reason for that not happening any more is b/c the signing Deaf ed programs are now more hoh friendly or may have better speech therapy resources. You know, my friend sent her hoh daughter to Kansas School for the Deaf....a bastian of signing deaf ed...According to AG Bellers, that place would be a classic "oh they don't concentrate enough on speech." Yet my friend had absolutly ZERO complaints!

Where are you getting this information? What percentage of Clarke's graduates transfer to ASL Deaf schools?

No...It's not like that.

I do not consider MSSD for my child for several reasons, and most likely will never. Then you gave me a choice: MSSD OR mainstream. Of which I said MSSD no questions.

You see?

It is not the inferiority complex that you call it as much as you're constantly twisting things, like the above, injecting "oral" into MSSD education (of which you never answered the question I brought up about), etc.

So what Deaf school does your child attend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back