Grocery store annoyances

A Nihilist

Premium Member
Reaction score
You know how at the checkout lane they have those little divider bars you can put on the checkout so that you can separate your groceries from others?

Well I don't know if it's just me but I notice women rarely bother putting one for me when they are in front of me. But the guys almost always put a divider. What is up with this?

Men have longer arms and are taller and they can reach them.

I never noticed..I just wait for a hhhhuuuuggggeeee gap between their groceries and mine before I load my groceries on the belt.

I think that's your job. I always put my own divider up. :dunno:

But now that I'm thinking about it a lot if times there's only one, and after stuff gets to the end I move it to behind mine if someone's behind me. Never really thought about this before lol

You know how at the checkout lane they have those little divider bars you can put on the checkout so that you can separate your groceries from others?

Well I don't know if it's just me but I notice women rarely bother putting one for me when they are in front of me. But the guys almost always put a divider. What is up with this?

I guess it's because women are not as territorial as men and you know how men likes to claim their territory and stake it with a flag :lol:

Grocery cart wheels that don't turn or wheels that are broken and squeals. Parents who let their kids control the carts and run around the store almost crashing into everything. People who leave their carts in the parking lot instead of returning them to the cart corral.

Ugh, needless to say, I hate carts. :evil:

I never thought about it. Sometimes, I put up divider. Sometimes, someone else does it. It doesn't matter.

One thing that irks me...is people who have many, many coupons...and argue with the Cashier....:roll:...also...people that have a huge load of groceries in the cart....and not enough $$ to pay for them all....."Wellll, put this back....and this too....how much is it now?".....goes on and on.....And people that forget something....and run all over the store trying to find it, while other people are held up in line.....grrrrr.....

Some people are slow to take out their debit card or credit card... or a check after the clerk completed processing groceries. I mean have them in hand and ready to pay instead of getting it out after the clerk processed the groceries.

Never really thought about this before lol

It's what happens when you get bored :D

I just wait for a hhhhuuuuggggeeee gap between their groceries and mine before I load my groceries on the belt.
I don't like to reach over someones groceries to get it (and vice versa).

That's kind of why it's annoying, I get stuck between the lady in front of me and 2 or more people behind me and I know people would get impatient if I just wait for a huge gap. But if I reach for the divider that would be kind of intrusive and creepy since I would have to reach over the lady's groceries and also get too close to the lady.

...and this is why I love to use the self checkout lines. :D

Less social interactions too lol.

This.... :D :thumb:

If I do have to go through a regular line though, I'm courteous... I put down the separator for the person if they're a man or a woman... makes no difference to me. Some days I'm a little distracted or in a rush so I may forget... but most days I'm pretty polite about it and remember to place it down. :P

Us ladies, we're always on the go! :laugh2:

In California, you can't buy alcoholic items at self checkout as well as some OTC drugs such as Nyguil.

Not sure about other states.

In California, you can't buy alcoholic items at self checkout as well as some OTC drugs such as Nyguil.

Not sure about other states.

You can here in Florida, you just get stopped and an associate has to come up, check your ID and enter a password that indicates your freedom. :D

same when I lived in SC- you could check out alcohol but you'd get a notice on screen that the cashier/person manning the self checkout center needs to check ID. Don't know about here in NC because I haven't tried it yet.

I do know some places you can't purchase gift cards at the self checkouts either- tried that once lol.

When I do have to use the regular lines, I'm like Mew-- always courteous and put my own divider up as well as sometimes moving it to the end of my pile once I reach the front of the line.

Yeah, forgot about the GC part too.

same when I lived in SC- you could check out alcohol but you'd get a notice on screen that the cashier/person manning the self checkout center needs to check ID. Don't know about here in NC because I haven't tried it yet.

I do know some places you can't purchase gift cards at the self checkouts either- tried that once lol.

When I do have to use the regular lines, I'm like Mew-- always courteous and put my own divider up as well as sometimes moving it to the end of my pile once I reach the front of the line.

Back