Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

My comment regarding the father being an ass to think that his child should go to a normal school, is because the idea of his child being around other deaf children is not normal.

I had to go to a mainstream school and learn without an interpreter because the 'school' thought it was best for me.

In the end I was left behind, not included into group projects or conversations, I was isolated, because I was viewed as 'abnormal' or 'not normal'.

He needs to place his child in both worlds, and that child will grow to decide whether or not they wish to be in a Deaf Culture or Hearing Culture, based on the childs comfort.

Face it, in this world there are a lot of stereotypes regarding the Deaf Culture, and that child will face those stereotypes, even if she speaks orally, and goes to a Mainstream school.

If the CI should ever fail (God Forbid) that child will be thrown into the Deaf Culture with no way of knowing how to communicate with others like her and no way to communicate with Hearing People and deal with the fustrations of trying to communicate with them.

Fair_jour I agree with some of your views.

I agree that it does help with vocabulary skills and whatnot.

I just dont agree with the father thinking that his child will benefit just from the hearing world because it is normal, he needs to place the child in both worlds.

sallylou said it well:

My concern is that parents have realistic expectations. Imposing unrealistic expectations on a child would be devastating. Ron Jaxon's posts on realistic expectations are helpful. The same issue exists for hearing children, too. I've seen parents put too much pressure on a kid. Awareness of emotional development is very important. I wish that we did a better job of helping all children in this area.

I agree with you. I do understand how do you feeling about isolate at mainstream school. Don't you mind can I ask you? Is your school have deaf program in classroom?? Or just you alone in hearing students in classroom?

You wanted me to re-read your first post. I got it now. I believe that he is following Alexander Graham Bell. He wanted his son to put in mainstream school as oral. I didn't see what he said about sign language. It obvious he rejected deaf school, deaf people and deaf culture. It's same as Drew's parent's view on deaf school and oral deaf education between. They don't want to learn sign language and ASL. It's not our problems.

Not wanting their deaf child learning ASL nor be exposed to the Deaf community is like rejecting other deaf people when their own child is deaf as well. That is probably why people criticized Drew's Dad although I dont remember anyone doing that when he was here.

Not wanting their deaf child learning ASL nor be exposed to the Deaf community is like rejecting other deaf people when their own child is deaf as well. That is probably why people criticized Drew's Dad although I dont remember anyone doing that when he was here.

That's shame of baby's father! You're right about people criticize on Drew's parent. His dad pulled the thread and alldeaf forum on his blog. I read it last night. He wanted to show hearing people whoever deaf community and deaf culture are being disrespectful. I read people's comments on his posts. I found it strange what Drew's mom thought about deaf school is 400 miles away from their home. But they live in Columbus, OH. There have deaf school available in Columbus and Cincinnati. :roll: The parent might not want their son put in deaf school with lousy education. That is why. They prefer put Drew in mainstream school with oral deaf education in normal hearing peers. That what I read their posts.

That's shame of baby's father! You're right about people criticize on Drew's parent. His dad pulled the thread and alldeaf forum on his blog. I read it last night. He wanted to show hearing people whoever deaf community and deaf culture are being disrespectful. I read people's comments on his posts. I found it strange what Drew's mom thought about deaf school is 400 miles away from their home. But they live in Columbus, OH. There have deaf school available in Columbus and Cincinnati. :roll: The parent might not want their son put in deaf school with lousy education. That is why. They prefer put Drew in mainstream school with oral deaf education in normal hearing peers. That what I read their posts.

Well, if they are keeping Drew away from the Deaf community then it is Drew who loses out. It is a shame.

I said that I dont remember people criticizing him here on AD. I thought everyone was nice to him unless I have someone else in mind.

Actually, there has been research done on the emotional well being of kids with CI's.

They have even done studies compairing oral kids outlooks vs. ASL using kids. I heard about it at a Hands & Voices conference. It was interesting.

I'm not talking about kids. I'm talking about adults who were implanted as a baby. Most of us are adults who look back in our past and know how emotionally hurtful it was. It's complicated, so you wouldn't understand.

I certainly hope parents do ASL with their kids because CI (or hearing aids) does NO GOOD in case of an emergency in a hospital setting. I realize that, and I had my hearing aids on too. Maybe does good for them when they are not in a stress, but once they are in a stress, their concentration is gone. And like some people posted, they could lost their hearing aids/cochlear implant . IF they were not taught how to lipread or ASL (if an interpreter is available).. all they do is the pen and paper thing.

Personally, I don't care What Drew thinks. If he rejected AD and left, then his opinions is not important to me.

I'm not talking about kids. I'm talking about adults who were implanted as a baby. Most of us are adults who look back in our past and know how emotionally hurtful it was. It's complicated, so you wouldn't understand.

I certainly hope parents do ASL with their kids because CI (or hearing aids) does NO GOOD in case of an emergency in a hospital setting. I realize that, and I had my hearing aids on too. Maybe does good for them when they are not in a stress, but once they are in a stress, their concentration is gone.

First of all, I am capable of high order thinking, so just because something "is complicated" does NOT mean I can't understand it, and it is offensive to imply that I am too stupid, or ignorant to follow your explanation.

Second, there are no adults who were implanted as babies. The average age of implantation is still around 18-24 months and in the early 90's it would have been around age 4.

And third, I understand that you have to consentrate hard to understand speech, but the kids I'm talking about don't. At home my daughter can understand speech as easily as she does sign. She understands me when I talk to her while I am upstairs and she is down. She understands me when the washing machine is going, or she is watching TV. I'm sorry that you struggle, but your experience is different than hers.

First of all, I am capable of high order thinking, so just because something "is complicated" does NOT mean I can't understand it, and it is offensive to imply that I am too stupid, or ignorant to follow your explanation.
If you understood, I wouldn't be debating with you.

Second, there are no adults who were implanted as babies. The average age of implantation is still around 18-24 months and in the early 90's it would have been around age 4.

And third, I understand that you have to consentrate hard to understand speech, but the kids I'm talking about don't. At home my daughter can understand speech as easily as she does sign. She understands me when I talk to her while I am upstairs and she is down. She understands me when the washing machine is going, or she is watching TV. I'm sorry that you struggle, but your experience is different than hers.

That is true. Have you ever read my blog website before about adult and children with cochlear implants success rate results? I tried talk to you but you never reply me back.

That is true. Have you ever read my blog website before about adult and children with cochlear implants success rate results? I tried talk to you but you never reply me back.

I was talking about stressful situation such as pain in a hospital setting. Chances are, CI may not do well.

I haven't read it. I know you like to keep your blog private, so PM me it.

Why don't you just go argue with your daughter how she feels instead of us?

My daughter is happy in her bilingual life. She has visual language, Deaf friends and the ease of communicating with extended family and the hearing world. She is not bitter.

And, by the way, personal attacks just show that you have nothing to back your side up, and you have become desperate.

Will you PM me your blog link too!! I had it but I lost it.

My daughter is happy in her bilingual life. She has visual language, Deaf friends and the ease of communicating with extended family and the hearing world. She is not bitter.

And, by the way, personal attacks just show that you have nothing to back your side up, and you have become desperate.

You are doing the best for your daughter. You cannot do anything more since she has ASL, is developing spoken language and is able to hear

I don't know, but I think you got personal with me. all I said that growing up was a complicated issue, and unless you walk in my shoe, you wouldn't understand it. I'm not going to argue with you about my feelings.

I was talking about stressful situation such as pain in a hospital setting. Chances are, CI may not do well.

Why? On what basis do you make this assumption? If a person can hear and understand well in every other setting, why would a hospital be different?

Why? On what basis do you make this assumption? If a person can hear and understand well in every other setting, why would a hospital be different?

because I been through it. It is based on my experience. Plus hearing aids and cochlear implant get knocked off.

Back