Deaf infants getting cochlear implants younger than ever

cool. good for you, Kemper Johnson Jr. best of luck!

Apparently he has to go though what most parents go though as far as IEP and such. CI kids still have visual needs.

He's not 3 yet, so, no, he doesn't have an IEP, yet.

And where does it say that he needs or uses visual supports? I must have missed that.

It's not sad. That's good for baby to hear with CI. You guys shouldn't judge on baby's parent's decide. It's their decide. We can't change them. That's stupid to be pissed off at them. :roll: You don't need to debate with me.

Neither me and some members like Jiro saying it is sad.

He's not 3 yet, so, no, he doesn't have an IEP, yet.

And where does it say that he needs or uses visual supports? I must have missed that.

IEP is mentioned in his blog and so is therapy. When there's therapy due to deafness, there's a visual communication need. therapy means not all his communication is met without help.

IEP is mentioned in his blog and so is therapy. When there's therapy due to deafness, there's a visual communication need. therapy means not all his communication is met without help.

He is receiving therapy to learn language and to learn to use his hearing. He does not use any visual means to communicate.

He is receiving therapy to learn language and to learn to use his hearing. He does not use any visual means to communicate.

right... it means he can't pick up the sounds on his own WITHOUT help. And while they would teach him with their mouth covered, it doesn't mean he doesn't have visual needs.

right... it means he can't pick up the sounds on his own WITHOUT help. And while they would teach him with their mouth covered, it doesn't mean he doesn't have visual needs.

His brain needed to learn to interpret the sounds it had never heard before. He hears just fine. His brain needs to learn how to connect meaning to the sounds he hears.

My daughter hears ALL speech sounds. Most CI kids do. They hear within the "normal" limits of hearing. They hear very very well. I don't understand what you mean by "can't pick up sounds without help".

If you are all of that, FJ, you need to exercise self-control especially when it comes to sharing personal information.

Working in a high school; discretion is vital unless you're the janitor then we wouldn't have to worry.

His brain needed to learn to interpret the sounds it had never heard before. He hears just fine. His brain needs to learn how to connect meaning to the sounds he hears.

My daughter hears ALL speech sounds. Most CI kids do. They hear within the "normal" limits of hearing. They hear very very well. I don't understand what you mean by "can't pick up sounds without help".

i'm sorry, I should wrote "UNDERSTAND sounds without help" I can hear people talking all the time with my hearing aids. If I'm close enough, I can hear the "sssss" sounds with my hearing aids... Therefore, picking up sounds is no problem, but understanding it clearly IS a problem

If you are all of that, FJ, you need to exercise self-control especially when it comes to sharing personal information.

Working in a high school; discretion is vital unless you're the janitor then we wouldn't have to worry.

Ok. Thanks for the advice....but my employers clearly know about my physical appearance, they see me every day. It is not a traditional high school.

i'm sorry, I should wrote "UNDERSTAND sounds without help" I can hear people talking all the time with my hearing aids. If I'm close enough, I can hear the "sssss" sounds with my hearing aids... Therefore, picking up sounds is no problem, but understanding it clearly IS a problem

Ok, but again, that is not true for many kids with CI's. Most hear and understand spoken language.

Don't you have CI?

Ok. Thanks for the advice....but my employers clearly know about my physical appearance, they see me every day. It is not a traditional high school.

I value your input in this board very much and can just see how much you are valued in the Deaf community as well.

Is this sarcasm?

I bet it is not. I have valued you ever since my very sad day, when you were able to say you would have stood up to the person laughing at me.

Lots of us know you are good and caring and want the best for all of us.

I bet it is not. I have valued you ever since my very sad day, when you were able to say you would have stood up to the person laughing at me.

Lots of us know you are good and caring and want the best for all of us.

Oh, good! :giggle:

I do care, and everyone in the Deaf community is my baby's family, so, of course, they are my family too.

Don't you have CI?

I grew up with hearing aids since I was 3, and went to a mainstreamed public school without deaf education or sign language -- preschool - 12th grade. . I was implanted I was in my late 20's and had to learn sounds all over again. I'm in my 30's now.

I know what it is like to lack visual needs (or whatever needs you have rather your blind, deaf, etc). I live with it too long.

Magnets are known to have a powerful effect on the body. I wear them on a bad knee when I play golf and on a bad wrist after I play golf. It will be interesting to see what effects a magnet will have on a developing brain. I Hope it is not bad. And I hope the parents can live with that decision if it is.

Elective surgery on infants makes me sick. With new technology, now is the best time ever to be deaf. Deafness is also growing in acceptance albeit slowly. Yet people are willing to risk putting their child in major pain and risk debilitating side effects like dizziness. How ironic that these Parents are willing to risk side effects that are debilitating to curb deafness, something which almost no one here believes is debilitating. CI is a choice, It should be the childs choice.

The word "normal" should have NOT been use in the article. Children who are deaf, if they use ASL, speech, don't wear aids or CI's, everyone of them is normal.
I do not know if I agree with parents implanting their child as soon they find out they are deaf, I mean the child should have language(sign) anyway so why should the child not be allowed to choose if they want to hear or not. I know we live in a "hearing world" and we have to try and get involved in their world but it's about time the hearing people knew HOW to communicate with us, they could try and fit in our world. I mean sign language is not that hard to use. I was asked by my parents if i wanted a cochlear implant before they decided to get it for me, I appreciate them asking me and I felt that I wanted to hear, at 10 I was old enough to make that decision with help from my parents. Some people want to hear, some people do not. AD is a site for ALL deaf people, we should not be against each other because some of us have a cochlear implant, and some of us do not. I respect everybody's decision, after all it's their life and their hearing.

sometimes i am not keen on having " opening the door " means work. But sometimes it's ok to be doing your best to work in your own pace.

Unfortunately...

Back