Deaf ID Cards

laur3n3l1zab3th

Reaction score
I'm in an interpreting program and I am doing a research paper on how some states require deaf people to have identification cards. Although, I can't find much information about this topic online. I was wondering if your state, required you to carry an Identification Card saying that you are deaf.

I'm hearing but as a terp with many deaf friends and acquaintances, I've never heard of anyone in South Carolina needing to carry a "Deaf" identification card.

It reminds me of the policies of Nazi Germany.

the id cards thing is kinda scary thought for me, how many states actually have that, if true?

the id cards thing is kinda scary thought for me, how many states actually have that, if true?

I hope very few, as I think that there were studies done showing that if you gave special deaf plates to deaf drivers, it made them targets and vulnerable.

well, I sure hope very few, too, that seems wrong on so many levels

I've never heard of it being a requirement. I do have a restriction on my drivers license that states that I am required to have a rearview and side mirrors. It's like an indirect way of saying I'm deaf. ;)

I've never heard of it being a requirement. I do have a restriction on my drivers license that states that I am required to have a rearview and side mirrors. It's like an indirect way of saying I'm deaf. ;)

How can you have a rearview on a motorcycle?
Will you get ticketed for having a busted side mirror?

California, Florida, Maine, Michigan, and West Virgina all require some form of proof in Michigan they must have an ID which proves their deaf

I once put a sticker on my driver's license that said "Deaf Patient" (nabbed it from my hospital) merely because I was too lazy to explain about my deafness.

After a few awkward and fearful stares, it hit me that "patient" made me seem like an escapee from a mental hospital.

o_O

Yeah, still kept the sticker on :)

O_o

Deaf ID cards?

Sorry, but it sounds a bit... retarded, tbh. Never had anything like that here in Australia.

I once put a sticker on my driver's license that said "Deaf Patient" (nabbed it from my hospital) merely because I was too lazy to explain about my deafness.

After a few awkward and fearful stares, it hit me that "patient" made me seem like an escapee from a mental hospital.

o_O

Yeah, still kept the sticker on :)

ha ha are you serious? oh my. yes that was funny.

Same here. I don't know if my license still have information stating that i am required to wear hearing aid that license didn't say but the code did.

I am sure that's not what laur3n3l1zab3th meant. Actually, All states required or allowed DMV to put a code or deafness logo stamp on ID or Driver license to verify that you are deaf. If you haven't heard of it or Your id doesn't have it which mean your ID is outdated.

California, Florida, Maine, Michigan, and West Virgina all require some form of proof in Michigan they must have an ID which proves their deaf

I live in West Virginia and I don't know what your talking about it was never told to me.

Back