Deaf ID Cards

OMG! it can't be!

Agreed. I've gotten out of a ticket because I kept having to ask the CHP to repeat himself. Hehe. He just ran my license through the computer and made sure I wasn't wanted on warrants or anything and let me go.

My brother has gotten out of multiple tickets. In fact, he's been pulled over more times than me and never been ticketed. Lucky punk.

I personally don't think it's a bad thing to have some form of deaf ID card. It could end up saving your life in certain situations...

Hey if we're required to show proof on our DL then isn't that a good thing? I was married to a cop (and got pulled over by a handful) and trust me, if they see that we're deaf (and purposely making guttural noises) then they do not want to stick around to explain why they are giving us a ticket.

I speak from personal experience LOL

Not exactly an expert here, but don't hearing people also have to have rearview and side mirrors? I don't see how that's a deaf-only thing.
I don't know about all states but the minimum requirement for all drivers is usually just the driver side outside mirror. Most new vehicles include driver and passenger side mirrors but in decades past only the driver side mirror was standard.

A rearview mirror usually isn't a standard requirement because they are useless in some vehicles such as commercial vans that don't have rear windows.

In some vehicles, such as RV's, rear video cameras are taking the place of rearview mirrors.

Never mind. I re-read my license. It says "Outside Mirror or Hearing Aid".

This reminds me of the "DEAF CHILDREN ZONE" sign I see around my grandma's. I find it offensive because it is saying that the parents are bad parents... if they allow their deaf children to run around in the streets... LOL :P

I never heard of such a thing a Deaf ID card! but I found this for the state of
Maine!
The Division for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing & Late Deafened is once again providing "proof of deafness" identification cards, on a voluntary basis (only if you want one). These cards are wallet-sized, contain the seal of the State of Maine and are laminated (sealed in plastic). They are custom made for each person and contain:

Your name

Date of birth

Type of communication you need

Signature of the Director of the Division for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing & Late Deafened

Telephone numbers for interpreter services and the Division for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing & Late Deafened

These identification cards do not have a photograph on them as they once did. Driver’s licenses or ID cards from the Department of Motor Vehicles now have photos on them. This card and a photo driver’s license (or DMV ID card) is proof of identity and hearing loss.

In order to receive an Identification Card, you must submit a completed application along with proof of hearing loss/deafness. Proof of hearing loss/deafness may include any one of the following:

A copy of an audiogram signed by a licensed professional

A copy of a diploma from a School for the Deaf

A signature from a physician, otolaryngologist (ENT) or audiologist on the application form

Proof on file of inclusion in another program such as the Telecommunications Equipment Program (TEP) from the Maine Center on Deafness, the Emergency Alert Notification System Program at MCD, the 70% discount form used by TTY callers for their home TTYs, the Hearing Impaired Placard Program, or Hearing Ear Dog certification from the Division for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing & Late Deafened.

To obtain an application for a Deaf Identification Card, contact:

Division for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing & Late Deafened 150 State House Station Augusta, Maine 04333-0150 1-888-755-0023 Toll free TTY (207)-623-7998 TTY (207)-623-7958 Voice (207)-287-5292 FAX

You can also download the application and print it by selecting the link below:

After completing the application, mail it or fax it to the Division for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing & Late Deafened at the address or fax number given above.

Deaf ID

Hm, I am in Texas and I have never had that restriction. Wow, I just realized that I have been getting deafer for 19 years. Gee. I went deaf right ear in 2000 and now only have a tiny bit of residual in my left ear. I have had my license in 3 states and was never given a restriction. Maybe I shoulda told em I was deaf. Think it would matter?

I went to the Unofficial DMV guide and got this :

Deaf drivers, or those with a hearing loss of 41 decibels or more, receive a special license sporting either a numerical code or the international deaf symbol. This helps eliminate communication problems if stopped by authorities.

There was a movement not long ago, after a policeman shot a deaf person, to place voluntary ID cards or placards in cars. This is from my sketchy memory, not from any quotable source.

Many of the areas, such as Missourri, has the F88 endorsement, voluntary, to eliminate problems with emt or traffic stops.

I drive better sans aid. (without) It is distracting to hear the loud noises. I cant tell which direction they are from anyway. It should be our choice if we wish to drive with or without aids.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to ask DMV. In Florida, DMV puts a restriction code on driver license or ID card which I had. In new jersey, DMV puts a deafness logo on Top right corner of driver's license or ID card which I have.

so I was doing more research and i Just got off the phone with the new jersey dmv office and they said there is n requirement to put a deafness logo on the id's. ...weird huh?

This reminds me of the "DEAF CHILDREN ZONE" sign I see around my grandma's. I find it offensive because it is saying that the parents are bad parents... if they allow their deaf children to run around in the streets... LOL :P

I disagree. I think it's just something to let the drivers know to be extra careful when driving in that certain area.

Check out this link:

"(Near Sidewalk with Dead End) Caution: Deaf and Blind Children"
http://www.alldeaf.com/travel-leisu...-caution-deaf-blind-children.html#post1451030

I went to DMV today to get the VA Diver License. My previous Diver License from Utah doesn't mention my deafness. Now the VA License mention my deafness. I don't mind because it is to save my sake if I had trouble understanding the police and he won't assume that I am simply trying to get away from him to not get the ticket. Because he know that I am deaf. There are some good reasons for it. Especially what if a cop called out, demanding you to step out of the car and put your hands up behind your head but you cannot hear that. Your Deaf ID Card could save you from a lot of trouble.

I went to DMV today to get the VA Diver License. My previous Diver License from Utah doesn't mention my deafness. Now the VA License mention my deafness. I don't mind because it is to save my sake if I had trouble understanding the police and he won't assume that I am simply trying to get away from him to not get the ticket. Because he know that I am deaf. There are some good reasons for it. Especially what if a cop called out, demanding you to step out of the car and put your hands up behind your head but you cannot hear that. Your Deaf ID Card could save you from a lot of trouble.

Agreed.
Provided that the license is pulled out immediately upon getting pulled over and given to the officer so he/she can SEE that there is a verification of hearing impairment and not (as she said) trying to pull one over on the cops.
Usually officers are trained (too briefly) on what to do when encountering a deaf person and knowing their rights to be understood and understand what is going on and to understand what is expected of them by the officer on the scene.
True most officers will just wave you off on your way to avoid the hassle of trying to write a ticket and explaining via long written conversations or calling an interpreter or whatever. Some DO not and SOME .... HAVE studied a bit of sign-language or have (signing) deaf in their family.
I think having that identification sticker helps... it does NOT need to be visible to anyone else except those checking your license.

I went to DMV today to get the VA Diver License. My previous Diver License from Utah doesn't mention my deafness. Now the VA License mention my deafness. I don't mind because it is to save my sake if I had trouble understanding the police and he won't assume that I am simply trying to get away from him to not get the ticket. Because he know that I am deaf. There are some good reasons for it. Especially what if a cop called out, demanding you to step out of the car and put your hands up behind your head but you cannot hear that.
Your Deaf ID Card could save you from a lot of trouble.

That very thing happened to a friend of mine down here in Florida. He got pulled over for speeding and ended up having the cop pull a gun on him as he was reaching for a pen and paper to be able to explain that he was Deaf and he'd have to communicate that way. All would've been avoided if there was a marker on his license or even a note on his driving record that would've been accessible while they were running your license through the system.

He decides to fight the ticket with the judge severely admonishing the cop in court and having his case dismissed because the judge deemed that the cop did overreact.

The stories a lot better when he tells it :giggle:

As far as I know all British cars have rear-view mirrors and side mirrors on both sides, I've never owned one that didn't. Also, there's nothing on my driving license about my wearing HAs or glasses.

I just checked the web-site of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority. It says there is no restriction on driving because of deafness in the UK, and there is no need to report deafness to them. They just say that you need to be able to communicate, 'by speech or minicom', in an emergency situation.

I suppose there's not much danger of being ordered out of your car by an armed police officer, and having to explain that you are Deaf before they shoot you, because our police do not routinely carry guns.

That very thing happened to a friend of mine down here in Florida. He got pulled over for speeding and ended up having the cop pull a gun on him as he was reaching for a pen and paper to be able to explain that he was Deaf and he'd have to communicate that way. All would've been avoided if there was a marker on his license or even a note on his driving record that would've been accessible while they were running your license through the system.

He decides to fight the ticket with the judge severely admonishing the cop in court and having his case dismissed because the judge deemed that the cop did overreact.

I agree.

Just because we're different doesn't mean we have to act different. We just have to try the best we can with patience.

A cop pulls you over and walks up to your window. It's better to calmly point to your ears and shake your head "no" than to make a sudden movement to grab a pen & paper (which can be seen as a possible attempt to grab a weapon).

If you can't understand what the officer is saying, there's nothing wrong with using a paper & pen. Being stubborn and refusing to communicate with the officer in any way except to wait for an interpreter is almost like saying, "I can't read and write. Shut up and give me my damn interpreter!" Think of it this way, if you kept the written conversation between yourself and the officer... it could be used in court if the need should ever arise.

In Virginia, I have a option to ask for a deaf ID card when I sign for it. All I need is show the proofs to prove I am deaf. Virginia can issue the special license plates for deaf people. VA deaf ID cards colored in purple and license plates have "no hearing" symbol.
I have no idea about Virginia required deaf people have those ID cards or not.

there's no such thing as deaf identification cards where i live. we just get the rearview mirror required as a restriction on our driver's licenses.

Since my Florida license only mentions the requirement of both rearview and side mirrors and does not mention anything about me being deaf, I have made and laminated a little sign, business card size, in bold print that says I Am Deaf, Please Speak Slowly. I had to go through a road-block for a license and insurance check and the officer noticed it and promptly wrote his request out on paper and said thanks for letting him know. I made it laminated since I drive 1 of 4 different vehicles depending on how many in the car and who it is in the car.

there's no such thing as deaf identification cards where i live. we just get the rearview mirror required as a restriction on our driver's licenses.

Well, on Naboo, I didn't think they had cars. You use little spaceships don't you. I didn't even think you had to have a license.:giggle:

Back