Deaf ID Cards

DefMATRIXense that's exactly what i meant thank you for verifying that. and thank you for your answer!

I am sure that's not what laur3n3l1zab3th meant. Actually, All states required or allowed DMV to put a code or deafness logo stamp on ID or Driver license to verify that you are deaf. If you haven't heard of it or Your id doesn't have it which mean your ID is outdated.
That is not true in Nebraska or Colorado.

California, Florida, Maine, Michigan, and West Virgina all require some form of proof in Michigan they must have an ID which proves their deaf

I am in Florida and I do not have to have ANY proof that I am deaf. My license does mention that I need side and rearview mirrors, but that's all. When I moved to Florida and transferred my license, I told them I was deaf, they then mentioned the restriction to my license and that's all.

No little identification card or anything else. My husband also has the same restrictions, but he has full hearinf, he just has to wear his glasses and they also told him to have both mirrors.

As far as I know we dont have anything like that over here in the UK. There's nothing on my provisional driving license stating I'm deaf. I wonder if on the actual driving licience there would be some sort of indication but I doubt it as I havent seen anything like this on my friend's driving license

Hey if we're required to show proof on our DL then isn't that a good thing? I was married to a cop (and got pulled over by a handful) and trust me, if they see that we're deaf (and purposely making guttural noises) then they do not want to stick around to explain why they are giving us a ticket.

I speak from personal experience LOL

DefMATRIXense that's exactly what i meant thank you for verifying that. and thank you for your answer!

I understand what you are saying.. I have never heard of it and no one tell me to be sure to show anyone the ID if you were deaf.

I was concerned w/OP's statement about any research generally saying that "deaf people to have identification cards" and that got me automatically thinking about things like yellow stars and pink triangles which is why I replied somewhere about my perception of it being wrong on so many levels...however, restrictions on drivers license itself doesn't seem quite same to me and I don't know what I think of that. My state does have restrictions on the DL card, for example, husband <oral, deaf w/o HA's> DL does say he must wear his HA's and have side-view mirrors on both side windows of car and also have the rear-view mirror; I wear glasses and my DL says I must wear my glasses for driving.

i'll have my next drivers license to have a specific restriction :) I'll be getting it this week, and lets see what I can do ..

i'll have my next drivers license to have a specific restriction :) I'll be getting it this week, and lets see what I can do ..

Don't be afraid to ask DMV. In Florida, DMV puts a restriction code on driver license or ID card which I had. In new jersey, DMV puts a deafness logo on Top right corner of driver's license or ID card which I have.

Don't be afraid to ask DMV. In Florida, DMV puts a restriction code on driver license or ID card which I had. In new jersey, DMV puts a deafness logo on Top right corner of driver's license or ID card which I have.

nah, I'm thinking of something else. Lets see if I can get it done.

I've never heard of it being a requirement. I do have a restriction on my drivers license that states that I am required to have a rearview and side mirrors. It's like an indirect way of saying I'm deaf. ;)

My Florida driver's license shows I have a restriction code for outside rearview mirror. I don't know what that meAn and woul u care to explain?

Means...

If you don't have those mirrors, you can't be driving... or you get fined, revoked et cetera. We have those restrictions up here as well.

Means...

If you don't have those mirrors, you can't be driving... or you get fined, revoked et cetera. We have those restrictions up here as well.
That's what I thought. Thanks, lol but it applys hearing people too.

I've never heard of it being a requirement. I do have a restriction on my drivers license that states that I am required to have a rearview and side mirrors. It's like an indirect way of saying I'm deaf. ;)

Not exactly an expert here, but don't hearing people also have to have rearview and side mirrors? I don't see how that's a deaf-only thing.

Next week I'm going to call all the state DMV's and ask. I find it kind of difficult that all of the DMV laws are different but oh well, just a little more work to do.

Thank you so much for your help though!!

Not exactly an expert here, but don't hearing people also have to have rearview and side mirrors? I don't see how that's a deaf-only thing.

Not necessarily. A friend of mine crashed his car into a tree since... well it's either the ditch or get hit by an 18-wheeler... not a pretty choice there... anyway, he banged up his car pretty bad and he couldn't afford to replace the side mirrors for a year, yet he was able to drive. He's hearing though.

He got pulled over for speeding a few time, but never got in trouble for the mirrors themselves.

Not necessarily. A friend of mine crashed his car into a tree since... well it's either the ditch or get hit by an 18-wheeler... not a pretty choice there... anyway, he banged up his car pretty bad and he couldn't afford to replace the side mirrors for a year, yet he was able to drive. He's hearing though.

He got pulled over for speeding a few time, but never got in trouble for the mirrors themselves.

Oh okay. Guess I should just stay off the topic of the dynamics of driving. :giggle:

Washington and Oregon doesnt have that requirement... I never heard of such thing.

Back