Bill: Mandatory Paternity Tests Before Birth Certificates Issued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
Bill: Mandatory Paternity Tests Before Birth Certificates Issued

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - State Rep. G. A. Hardaway is backing a bill requiring a paternity test performed on all babies before their fathers' names are listed on birth certificates.

"They'll bring tears to your eyes," said the Memphis Democrat.

Hardaway said personal pleas for help in his district prompted him to sponsor what could be called the "paternity proposal" in the Tennessee Legislature.

His proposal would affect single adults as well as married couples.

"Well, at some point society has to weigh the rights of the parents against the rights of the child," he said. "And I think this is one of the basic inherent rights that should go with the child."

Right now, it costs $7 to get a copy of a birth certificate. The proposed legislation would add $165 to the cost.

It's not just the price of paternity testing that upsets some people.

"I do not support a paternity bill," said state Rep. Sherry Jones, a Nashville Democrat. "I think it's a real affront to women to say that every baby born has to have a paternity test."

Rebecca Kopp agrees. She recently finished filling out the birth certificate paperwork for her three-month-old son.

"I think it's offensive because I am married," Kopp said. "Even for women who aren't married, if they want to get a birth certificate, I think that that should be their right. I don't think they should have to prove who the father is."

Hardaway contends it's every child's right to know their father. He said it's a struggle he sees everyday.

"Just because we have adults who want to live a lie, lie to each other, the child shouldn't suffer," he said. "The emotional trauma that children go thru when they finally realize that they've been living a lie, it's unforgivable."

The bill is in committee. Hardaway said he is working to change some of the language to help it survive.

Right now, if a woman has been married for 300 days before their baby was born, the husband's name automatically goes on the birth certificate. If a woman is not married and wants the father's name on the paperwork, she has to get a paternity test and have it notarized before the father's name is listed.

NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - Bill: Mandatory Paternity Tests Before Birth Certificates Issued

This bill is going to be somewhat controversial. On one hand, I do think the child has the right to know who the father is (if the mother had sex with multiple partners in a short time frame) but on the other hand, as for married couples - it seemed to be somewhat absurd because if the married couple are in a monogamous relationship then this question would not have entered in their mind to know who the father is.

What if the man didn't have sex with the mother but he still wants to acknowledge the "father" role to be noted on the birth certificate? How would that work if the bill were to be passed requiring a paternity test to acknowledge the father on the birth certificate?

What do you think of this proposed bill?

What? Good grief. It's a waste of taxpayers' money.

To me that's pretty stupid and waste of money and time. But in another way I feel bad for women who got pregnant and do not know who is the father of her baby.

I think if the father wants one before he signs the Birth Certificate is fine. But to impose on everyone that has a child, Married faithful couples. Is a waste of time and money.

Geez....what a mess this will be! Even if they pass this bill, people who lie to their children will still continue to lie to them. They will find ways but for those who dont live a life as a lie, it is unfair.

This bill operates under the assumption that all women cheat, and then lie about the paternity of their children. How insulting!

I support this bill and agrees with Hardaway, because there are many women out there that had lied or don't know who the father of the child. I don't like to see a child suffer of confusion, All children prefer to know who their biological fathers are, they have that right. ;)

:shaking the head: I have to disagree with that information. Like ADers said before, it's on base of wasting money and do more harm on theirs... No good. =/

This bill operates under the assumption that all women cheat, and then lie about the paternity of their children. How insulting!

Yea, no kidding!!! Just because some women pull that kind of crap, doesnt mean that all of us do and have to pay more money for it? Oh pls!

Yea, no kidding!!! Just because some women pull that kind of crap, doesnt mean that all of us do and have to pay more money for it? Oh pls!

Exactly. Its making the innocent suffer punsihment for the guilty few.

What? Good grief. It's a waste of taxpayers' money.

You wouldn't have to worry about it.

I support this bill and agrees with Hardaway, because there are many women out there that had lied or don't know who the father of the child. I don't like to see a child suffer of confusion, All children prefer to know who their biological fathers are, they have that right. ;)

:gpost: There are innocent men that have been slapped with child support when in fact, it's not their child.

This makes sense.

You wouldn't have to worry about it.

:gpost: There are innocent men that have been slapped with child support when in fact, it's not their child.

This makes sense.

That is hardly justification for mandatory paternity testing in all births. If a man was slapped with child support without DNA evidence showing that he was the father, it was because he signed the birth certificate stating that he was the father. By your reasoning, we assume the child is NOT a product of a monogamous relationship until it is proven that he/she is. Totally in reverse of the legal concept of innocent until proven guilty. Mandatory paternity testing assumes guilt until proven innocent. And worse, yet, it automatically assumes the guilt on the part of the woman, which is gender bias in the extreme.

Byrdie714 said:

This makes sense.
Right, and when a child living in a house with a man she/he thought was his/her biological father, then later finding out that man who is living in their home is not the father of the child, He was only the father that this child has known, I can only imagine how it will effect the child's self-esteem. I'll bet it'll destroy a child's world. :(

The most important gift that mothers can give to their children is their love and trust by telling the children the truth, no matter how bad it is. ;)

Right, and when a child living in a house with a man she/he thought was his/her biological father, then later finding out that man who is living in their home is not the father of the child, He was only the father that this child has known, I can only imagine how it will effect the child's self-esteem. I'll bet it'll destroy a child's world. :(

The most important gift that mothers can give to their children is their love and trust by telling the children the truth, no matter how bad it is. ;)

And this bill assumes that ALL mothers, you and I included, Cheri, lie to their children about their parentage. We are being assumed guilty, and have to prove that we are honest.

I definitely do understand what you both are saying Cherie and Byrdie, but what about those women who are faithful, have to take paternity test before the father's name goes on the birth certificate, don't you see that as an "insult" ? .. :dunno:

And this bill assumes that ALL mothers, you and I included, Cheri, lie to their children about their parentage. We are being assumed guilty, and have to prove that we are honest.
I know it does, but who would we know who's lying to their own children or the father? I was more thinking about the welfare of the children. They're the most that counts to me. If some women would stop lying to their own children and who they think are the father of their child, none of this would have happened now would it? I never understand why they lied, they're only hurting the child the most in this case.

I know it does, but who would we know who's lying to their own children or the father? I was more thinking about the welfare of the children. They're the most that counts to me. If some women would stop lying to their own children and who they think are the father of their child, none of this would have happened now would it? I never understand why they lied, they're only hurting the child the most in this case.

I understand what you are saying but they're a lot of honest people out there that is going to have to pay for the dishonest ones... why charge the faithful couples extra money? When the husband or man has no doubt.. Would you be offended if they made you do it... KNOWING that you are faithful?

I only agree to it if the father suspect it is not his child... and a lot of men do suspect it is not their child... only if the man feels obligated to do so should go ahead... but to make it a law.... I feel it is unnecessary to do so.

Faithful couples going to have to burden the proof, It is ridiculous.

What you all dont understand is, that is a couple is married and the spouse cheats or if they are seperated and not yet divorced the law automatically assumes that the husband is the father of the child.

I know this personal experience. My husband, has another child. And the woman he had that child with was seperated from her husband but not yet divorced. This woman kept saying that my husband was the father. We called the CSEA and asked them for DNA tests on the little girl. We were told that they wouldnt do it because the woman was married and the law naturally assumes that the husband is the father. Until the baby wasw taken away from her for being an unfit mother. The husband was paying child support. He too was fighting for DNA testing that whole time. It was a mess. We finally did get DNA testing done. There was 5 guys there being tested. Along with my husband. Turns out the little girl was my husbands daughter.

There are other stories of cheating spouses and questionable parentages as well to consider.

Even though my son's father did sign the birth certificate. When my son got into trouble and was put into DYS, the court ordered DNA testing, to prove that my son's father was indeed his father, simply because we were not married at the time.

DNA proved I told the truth on who my son's father was. Did I feel offended at having to take one? No! I was happy that there could never ever be a question of who his father was. I was happy to have solid 100% proof of this.
In SOME cases having DNA proof of parentage can actually draw the parents closer to the children, as then there is NEVER any doubt. Married couples or not.

So my answer is , I support this bill. While it is an extra cost, to me it is a worthy cost, to have 100% proof. This way no child is ever denied!

I understand what you are saying but they're a lot of honest people out there that is going to have to pay for the dishonest ones... why charge the faithful couples extra money? When the husband or man has no doubt.. Would you be offended if they made you do it... KNOWING that you are faithful?

I only agree to it if the father suspect it is not his child... and a lot of men do suspect it is not their child... only if the man feels obligated to do so should go ahead... but to make it a law.... I feel it is unnecessary to do so.

Faithful couples going to have to burden the proof, It is ridiculous.

I agree, It is not necessary to a point to make it a law. Sure, there are some women out there that are not so faithful but there are others that are so faithful (and knowingly 100%) of a certain man who would be the father.

I think this law is pretty dumb. If the man feels that he is not the father of the child for whatever reasons, let him take a DNA test and if he happens to be on the birth certificate - that simply can be changed with a proof of the DNA test (if he isn't found to be the father). If the man wish to acknowledge the "father" role, then let him sign the birth certificate without a paternity test. I think by dishing out a lot of money just to make a proof because the "supposedly law" says so is just far too extreme and it is like telling us that either we have to dish out the bucks just so we can have the man on the birth certificate. Dumb, isn't it?

Whether the couple is married or not, it is under the assumption that we all do this or that. It doesn't mean that every women are like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back