Apartment Questions.....

yep.... some landlords do that... i think it's usually about $40 for background/credit check. I don't know when this started but it has been around for quite a while.

i've been living in my apartment complex for about 15 years now, so it's no wonder i was unaware of this. $40 or so? wow! :shock:

Look at more than one place. When asking landlord, ask them about finance assistance. They should reduce your rent or reimburse your bills. Something like that, it's because you're poor and on SSI. Be sure to act a bit retard and sad. :P

Look at more than one place. When asking landlord, ask them about finance assistance. They should reduce your rent or reimburse your bills. Something like that, it's because you're poor and on SSI. Be sure to act a bit retard and sad. :P

this is only the case when it comes to section 8 housing -- not standard housing.

yep.... some landlords do that... i think it's usually about $40 for background/credit check. I don't know when this started but it has been around for quite a while.

$40?! :shock:

When I moved to this complex, it was $25.

No wonder your posts are useless. It's rather sad.

Check out the car park at apartment whether it a street parking or ya get your own car park.

this is only the case when it comes to section 8 housing -- not standard housing.

Yeah, you only have to pay 30% of your income, but you can't automatically get that. You have to be put on a waiting list. And it's miles long.

I refuse to live in section 8/HUD/HRA/public housing because a couple of years ago, here in San Antonio, there were insufficent funding from the government or something like that, and they couldn't come up with the money to pay the remaining 70% of the rent to the landlords, and as a result, about (I want to say 800, it was a large number) tenants in those kind of housing here got evicted just because of that. And on short notice! They were given like a few days to vacate their apartments. When I heard this on the news, I was so thankful that I wasn't living in that kind of housing...I would rather pay 80% of my income if it meant I won't get evicted for something that wasn't my fault and for something I didn't do. No thanks! I don't want to be homeless ever again! LONG STORY! When I heard this on the news I said "thank goodness I don't live in these apartments"! If I live in this kind of apartment, I want 100% guarantee that I will NOT be evicted for something I did NOT do and/or for something that was NOT my fault.

lucia,

something similar happened in milwaukee only in this case tenants were evicted because the landlord did not pay their property taxes. they were given very short notice and were expected to leave immediately.

i happen to live in section 8 housing that is designed for the elderly and disabled only. i've lived in this apartment complex for almost 15 years and have been quite happy here. the only complaint i have is that we sometimes have problems with revolving landlords. in the 14 and a half years i've been here, we average one new landlord every 1-2 years.

that being said, my apartment complex happens to be the "creme de la creme" when it comes to section 8 housing (so i've been told). some section 8 housing is better than others. there's another section 8 housing property on the other side of town, but i refused to live there based on the fact that the landlord was negligent when it came to building repairs and keeping the property presentable and clean.

lucia,

something similar happened in milwaukee only in this case tenants were evicted because the landlord did not pay their property taxes. they were given very short notice and were expected to leave immediately.

i happen to live in section 8 housing that is designed for the elderly and disabled only. i've lived in this apartment complex for almost 15 years and have been quite happy here. the only complaint i have is that we sometimes have problems with revolving landlords. in the 14 and a half years i've been here, we average one new landlord every 1-2 years.

that being said, my apartment complex happens to be the "creme de la creme" when it comes to section 8 housing (so i've been told). some section 8 housing is better than others. there's another section 8 housing property on the other side of town, but i refused to live there based on the fact that the landlord was negligent when it came to building repairs and keeping the property presentable and clean.

Yeah...I sure as hell wouldn't live in the tall high-rise section 8 buildings on the east side. I've seen them, and I did NOT like them. Plus, when I visited a friend and it was on garbage day or something, the entire fucking building would stink like high hell! :barf: I had wanted to live at this nice place on the south side, but then I heard that the waiting list were miles long....so I said forget it. I found plenty of cheap places to live in Milwaukee on my own. I ended up leaving Milwaukee after living in two different places anyway. I've seen many section 8 housings in Milwaukee, and I have liked only a few, but most were too far like in East Deer or something like that...near Mill Road? I forgot. Not enough buses on Mill Road at night, anyway. I prefer the east side....the east side is my favorite area of Milwaukee. It's more my type of crowd, etc. Artsy, punk, etc. It was where I first lived when I first got out of foster care, and I loved living on the east side. I liked the Farwell/Brady/Odgen area.

The old owners of this complex that I am living in, they let this place go to hell over the past 3 years that I have lived here. When I first moved here, everything was nice and well kept and presentable. Now...it's so "ghetto". But, we just got bought out by new owners last summer, and we are almost done remodeling this place. It's getting a LOT better. I can't wait til they finish painting all the buildings in a nice color. There are 20 buildings in all. Also, All the wood in this place has been replaced...they were rotting. Now we have new wood everything. The pools are being repainted, we are almost done rebuilding the management building that burnt down last year (I have a gut feeling that it was arson), we got new mailboxes, another new fitness room (it was part of the old management building), and a lot of nice new stuff. We are even getting stricter on littering and stuff. You cannot even have trash outside your door, or you are fined $25 per item. I am glad because neighbors kept putting their trash cans outside their door, and it makes the complex look so ghetto, and it stinks up the place. I wish they would do something about people smoking in their apartments, because their smoke comes into my apartment and makes me cough a lot. Oh, and we got a new name too, which I do not like, though...it sounds...so california-ish.

Oh, I almost forgot. Last summer, all of the tenants living in a trailer park had to live without any POWER for about TWO WEEKS (I think). And I gotta remind you...this is TEXAS in the summer time with temperatures in the 100s to 120s! Their landlord refused to have the electric company come out to fix their ANCIENT power lines. He didn't want to pay the repair bills or something like that. The tenants had to go and get a court order to get the power fixed, and even that took FOUR DAYS. They had no choice but to stay because they could not afford to move their trailers out of the park and into another and then having to rent new lots in other trailer parks. They were stuck. I felt so sorry for them.

And a couple of months ago, the landlord of one apartment building near downtown San Antonio wouldn't or could not pay the water bill, and ALL the tenants had to live without water. He refused to have the water turned back on, wouldn't do a damn thing. He decided he didn't want to deal with the tenants, so he just told them that they could move out and not have to pay any costs for breaking their leases. But many of them simply did not have the money for first, last, and security deposit for a NEW apartment so they were simply stuck there, and now it's pretty much defunct (I think that's the right word?) I am not sure what have happened since then, though. I am just pretty glad I didn't choose to live in that building.

Last edited:
waitlist for section 8 housing very long where i live! couple of years at least!!!

in some section 8 properties, waiting lists vary -- especially if you have very low income and no assets. when i moved into the place i'm living now, i only had to wait 3 months to be accepted. conversely, there is another section 8 housing complex located not too far from here whose waiting list is 8 years. :shock:

Yeah...I sure as hell wouldn't live in the tall high-rise section 8 buildings on the east side. I've seen them, and I did NOT like them. Plus, when I visited a friend and it was on garbage day or something, the entire fucking building would stink like high hell! :barf: I had wanted to live at this nice place on the south side, but then I heard that the waiting list were miles long....so I said forget it. I found plenty of cheap places to live in Milwaukee on my own. I ended up leaving Milwaukee after living in two different places anyway. I've seen many section 8 housings in Milwaukee, and I have liked only a few, but most were too far like in East Deer or something like that...near Mill Road? I forgot. Not enough buses on Mill Road at night, anyway. I prefer the east side....the east side is my favorite area of Milwaukee. It's more my type of crowd, etc. Artsy, punk, etc. It was where I first lived when I first got out of foster care, and I loved living on the east side. I liked the Farwell/Brady/Odgen area.

i also love the east side -- particularly around the uwm campus near kenwood, hartford and maryland avenues.

brady street is great too because it offers a nice variety of shopping choices.

there are some really nice section 8 housing properties around the west allis/new berlin border. greendale also has a nice section 8 apartment complex on 76th and grange avenue near southridge mall. that's where i originally wanted to live, but the manager of my apartment complex called a few days before they did, so this is where i chose to live.

i also love the east side -- particularly around the uwm campus near kenwood, hartford and maryland avenues.

there are some really nice section 8 housing properties around the west allis/new berlin border. greendale also has a nice section 8 apartment complex on 76th and grange avenue near southridge mall. that's where i originally wanted to live, but the manager of my apartment complex called a few days before they did, so this is where i chose to live.

Hear Again, reread post #32 because I updated it, and you are going to be so shocked at what I had to say!

Living near SouthRidge Mall would be so awesome if it wasn't so far away from the east side. I'd have to take three buses, I believe...if I remember correctly. That's my favorite mall, though, out of ALL the malls in Milwaukee...its the one I always went to since I was a small child. They have the best stores. NorthRidge sucks. Have they closed down yet? Grand Ave is okay if you are only shopping for parkas. MayFair is ok. I didn't used to like BayShore that much, but I have recently heard that it has improved in what they have now. I don't remember much about the rest.

The old owners of this complex that I am living in, they let this place go to hell over the past 3 years that I have lived here. When I first moved here, everything was nice and well kept and presentable. Now...it's so "ghetto". But, we just got bought out by new owners last summer, and we are almost done remodeling this place. It's getting a LOT better. I can't wait til they finish painting all the buildings in a nice color. There are 20 buildings in all. Also, All the wood in this place has been replaced...they were rotting. Now we have new wood everything. The pools are being repainted, we are almost done rebuilding the management building that burnt down last year (I have a gut feeling that it was arson), we got new mailboxes, another new fitness room (it was part of the old management building), and a lot of nice new stuff. We are even getting stricter on littering and stuff. You cannot even have trash outside your door, or you are fined $25 per item. I am glad because neighbors kept putting their trash cans outside their door, and it makes the complex look so ghetto, and it stinks up the place. I wish they would do something about people smoking in their apartments, because their smoke comes into my apartment and makes me cough a lot. Oh, and we got a new name too, which I do not like, though...it sounds...so california-ish.

Oh, I almost forgot. Last summer, all of the tenants living in a trailer park had to live without any POWER for about TWO WEEKS (I think). And I gotta remind you...this is TEXAS in the summer time with temperatures in the 100s to 120s! Their landlord refused to have the electric company come out to fix their ANCIENT power lines. He didn't want to pay the repair bills or something like that. The tenants had to go and get a court order to get the power fixed, and even that took FOUR DAYS. They had no choice but to stay because they could not afford to move their trailers out of the park and into another and then having to rent new lots in other trailer parks. They were stuck. I felt so sorry for them.

And a couple of months ago, the landlord of one apartment building near downtown San Antonio wouldn't or could not pay the water bill, and ALL the tenants had to live without water. He refused to have the water turned back on, wouldn't do a damn thing. He decided he didn't want to deal with the tenants, so he just told them that they could move out and not have to pay any costs for breaking their leases. But many of them simply did not have the money for first, last, and security deposit for a NEW apartment so they were simply stuck there, and now it's pretty much defunct (I think that's the right word?) I am not sure what have happened since then, though. I am just pretty glad I didn't choose to live in that building.

wow, lucia. your post just goes to show that one needs to be so careful when selecting an apartment complex to live in.

i remember when i visited tucson several years ago to look for an apartment. i saw this one complex that was great in terms of the rent, but i wasn't so sure about the landlord. while the landlord was showing me the apartment, another resident came up to the landlord and asked her when the laundry facilities would be repaired. right then and there a red flag went up and i immediately crossed that property off of my list.

another landlord tried to convince me to live in her complex even though it had appliances from the 70s. the apartment was nice, but i wasn't going to pay high energy bills as a result.

Living near SouthRidge Mall would be so awesome if it wasn't so far away from the east side. I'd have to take three buses, I believe...if I remember correctly. That's my favorite mall, though, out of ALL the malls in Milwaukee...its the one I always went to since I was a small child. They have the best stores. NorthRidge sucks. Have they closed down yet? Grand Ave is okay if you are only shopping for parkas. MayFair is ok. I didn't used to like BayShore that much, but I have recently heard that it has improved in what they have now. I don't remember much about the rest.

i also think southridge is the best mall in milwaukee. you're correct that it would take you at least 3 buses to get from southridge to the east side. i'm lucky because where i live, i can either take one bus that comes out to highway 100 and catch a second bus downtown or take a UBUS which takes the expressway directly to uwm.

northridge mall has closed down due to high crime levels and "big box" stores leaving the property. i can't say that i'm at all surprised. that place was a breeding ground for gang activity and a dump.

grand avenue is okay, but i don't shop there often since southridge is closer.
i'm also not crazy about walking downtown by myself.

mayfair mall is okay too, but again, i prefer to do my shopping at southridge. like you, i've been going there ever since i was a child and love all of their stores.

have you ever been to brookfield square? they have a pretty good selection of stores and if i remember correctly, there is a bus line that travels along bluemound road.

Back