Apartment Questions.....

wow, lucia. your post just goes to show that one needs to be so careful when selecting an apartment complex to live in.

i remember when i visited tucson several years ago to look for an apartment. i saw this one complex that was great in terms of the rent, but i wasn't so sure about the landlord. while the landlord was showing me the apartment, another resident came up to the landlord and asked her when the laundry facilities would be repaired. right then and there a red flag went up and i immediately crossed that property off of my list.

Good thing that woman came up and asked her and you heard that, otherwise you wouldn't have seen that!

another landlord tried to convince me to live in her complex even though it had appliances from the 70s. the apartment was nice, but i wasn't going to pay high energy bills as a result.

I wouldn't be so concerned about appliances as long as they are not older than the 1980s. I've lived in really nice apartments that had stoves and fridges from the 1980s, and and my bills there were rather low compared to what they are here with brand new appliances. It has more to do with what they are using for heating and air conditioning than how old the appliances are and how well they work. I remember only paying no more than $40 a month in those apartments in Minnesota with those old appliances. Here I paid (in my upstairs apartment) about $70 a month, because here I have central AC and heating. Back in MN we had AC boxes, and I am not sure what they used for heating, but their heating pipes ran along sides of every room in the apartment. Here it's all central AC and heating, and that is why I am paying so much more. I would worry more about what they use for heating and for AC than about the appliances. Also, it's even better if your heating is included in the rent, that saves a shitload of money! AC boxes doesn't really run up a big bill, in my experience, back in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Water is so cheap here..it only costs me about $5 a month right now. I don't have gas. I don't like apartments that use gas, because gas scares me.

i also think southridge is the best mall in milwaukee. you're correct that it would take you at least 3 buses to get from southridge to the east side. i'm lucky because where i live, i can either take one bus that comes out to highway 100 and catch a second bus downtown or take a UBUS which takes the expressway directly to uwm.

northridge mall has closed down due to high crime levels and "big box" stores leaving the property. i can't say that i'm at all surprised. that place was a breeding ground for gang activity and a dump.

grand avenue is okay, but i don't shop there often since southridge is closer.
i'm also not crazy about walking downtown by myself.

mayfair mall is okay too, but again, i prefer to do my shopping at southridge. like you, i've been going there ever since i was a child and love all of their stores.

have you ever been to brookfield square? they have a pretty good selection of stores and if i remember correctly, there is a bus line that travels along bluemound road.

Oh, I forgot about Brookfield Square! I only went there when I felt like going into Waukesha on that bus going along Blue Mound Road.

lucia,

i also don't like gas stoves for the same reason.

in the apartment complex where i live, heat and electricity are included with the rent. it's nice because the only bills i have to pay for are the phone, internet and cable.

once i move to tucson this summer, i may be unable to afford cable depending on how much rent i pay. that's okay though. i can live without. besides, i don't watch alot of tv anyways. i prefer reading instead.

All good questions to ask...

Hear Again and Lucia.. ohh interesting experiences ya have provided in there.. that I have kept in mind of some things to watch for... thanks for the tips that would be helpful if so...

Hear Again and Lucia.. ohh interesting experiences ya have provided in there.. that I have kept in mind of some things to watch for... thanks for the tips that would be helpful if so...

simply put -
1. ASK ASK ASK!
2. Look around the neighborhood and your neighbors.
3. Ask about typical amount of monthly utility bill
4. If there's something you don't like, DON'T GET IT.
5. happy hunting! :cool2:

you're welcome, sharky! :)

For background checks, they check on criminal history, credit card, eviction and etc at no cost to me.

For Security/damage deposit, the landlord accepted 'Emergency Fund" from the county assistance service who are on medicaid program.

For Ulilties, I only pay the electric, cable (TV and Internet) and landline phone. Water/Heat/Gas on landlord's pays.

For key or card, My apt have a entery access card and a key for mail/unit

For Laundormat, They have a card operated machines when the card runs out of funds and can be reloading at the card reader box to deposit some cash onto card.

My apt have a underground parking garage and emergency ramp for wheelchairs and gurneys (in case of fire alarm or elevator's down). Also if in the parking garage can use thru the garage door they have a "speed bump" sensors (Inside only) on the pavement the wheelchair can go thru when the elevator or access card reader downed.

For A/C, I have my own A/C for summer time (Wall sleeves). County bought A/C for me and operated by Sears Home Maintenace Service (billed to my county assistance service).

Assistive Devices, The landlord bought a wireless doorbell and extra smoke alarm with bed vibrator (Bedroom smoke alarm). Other smoke alarm already have inside by the kitchen, bathroom and wired to bedroom's ceiling strobe.

lucia,

i also don't like gas stoves for the same reason.

in the apartment complex where i live, heat and electricity are included with the rent. it's nice because the only bills i have to pay for are the phone, internet and cable.

once i move to tucson this summer, i may be unable to afford cable depending on how much rent i pay. that's okay though. i can live without. besides, i don't watch alot of tv anyways. i prefer reading instead.

Something you should consider...how much SSI will they increase or decrease when you move to Tucson? Sometimes when you move to a different state sometimes you get more SSI, sometimes you lose some. Plus, I know that in Wisconsin, you receive a check from both the federal and the state governments, but here in Texas we only get a check from the federal government. Not all states will issue state checks to the disabled. When I moved to Minnesota I lost my state check, but that was okay because I was able to get "EBT cash" in the same amount of the check I used to get in Wisconsin. However, in Texas, I don't get a state check, and I also don't get any "EBT cash" because I do not have any children (here we have to have children in order to receive EBT cash). I do still get food stamps, though. Different states, different rules, different policies, etc. You should call the SSA hotline and ask them how much would you generally get if you were to move to Tucson. That was what I did when I considered moving to San Francisco many years ago, and I was told I would only get $800. Not enough to live on in San Francisco...I never ended up moving there anyway. I don't want to, now. I want to stay here.

I am very picky about build the apartments. I prefer find a nice and good neighborhood and rich area. In a moment, I live close to mall and shopping and restaurants and grocery in rich area. It depend on price how much we can afford to live. I lived 5 different nice complex. We are consider about move to a new house. We have to wait for economy and market. I never live in ghetto area. That's not good environment for me. I can't stand to live in crime area.

I prefer live own house over apartments. I don't like too noise in other doors. I agree with other members about landlord must show to customer an apartment with nice furnish or unfurnished

male sure the apt management are friendly and willing to answer questions, also help you with the concerns of the apt. mean ones are more likely to screw you over things and probably give you ridiclous charges when you move out at the end of the lease.

also some apt management change too often so it might be confusing at times.

male sure the apt management are friendly and willing to answer questions, also help you with the concerns of the apt. mean ones are more likely to screw you over things and probably give you ridiclous charges when you move out at the end of the lease.

also some apt management change too often so it might be confusing at times.

yep.... any verbal agreement.... HAVE IT WRITTEN DOWN ON CONTRACT THEN SIGN IT!

Something you should consider...how much SSI will they increase or decrease when you move to Tucson? Sometimes when you move to a different state sometimes you get more SSI, sometimes you lose some. Plus, I know that in Wisconsin, you receive a check from both the federal and the state governments, but here in Texas we only get a check from the federal government. Not all states will issue state checks to the disabled. When I moved to Minnesota I lost my state check, but that was okay because I was able to get "EBT cash" in the same amount of the check I used to get in Wisconsin. However, in Texas, I don't get a state check, and I also don't get any "EBT cash" because I do not have any children (here we have to have children in order to receive EBT cash). I do still get food stamps, though. Different states, different rules, different policies, etc. You should call the SSA hotline and ask them how much would you generally get if you were to move to Tucson. That was what I did when I considered moving to San Francisco many years ago, and I was told I would only get $800. Not enough to live on in San Francisco...I never ended up moving there anyway. I don't want to, now. I want to stay here.

this is great advice. thanks, lucia! before my move to tucson, i'm going to call social security to find out exactly how much ss i will receive.

by the way, what is "ebt cash" and what is it used for? food? utilities?

this is great advice. thanks, lucia! before my move to tucson, i'm going to call social security to find out exactly how much ss i will receive.

It can be used towards any living expenses. I called it "EBT cash" because I forgot exactly what it is called, but you can use your EBT card to withdraw cash at the cashier checkout at any grocery store that takes food stamps.

It can be used towards any living expenses. I called it "EBT cash" because I forgot exactly what it is called, but you can use your EBT card to withdraw cash at the cashier checkout at any grocery store that takes food stamps.

interesting. i'll have to contact a social service agency in tucson to find out if they offer "ebt cash."

Keep in mind, not sure if they do this in Canada they do credit checks. All it means, if your responsible to afford an apt. They run a background check on you with credit histories like phone bill, cable bill, and so forth. They do charge to do this process that comes later in the apt that you feel this is the place you want.

I don't know the public assistance rules and name in Canada. Sometimes that can be helpful but not always some of my deaf friends complain about that due to the long waiting list and other factors involved.

Oh Geez! I don't like what you said it, make me big pissed off because mostly is not true because I never give my SIN# (Social Insurance Number) to any Landlord because I have own freedom of privacy! and I always paid rent by Cashs, I never use credit check for 12 years.

I really dislike what mostly american thinking "Canada" mean all system is one, no, Canada dislike USA way because USA have 50 states but Canada have 10 provinces and 3 territories so all provinces and territories is not same the law or the system, all is different the law or the system!!!

You don't understand what is Canada? One Day, Canada will be GONE for damn *beep beep beep* French! Quebec! They are TERRORISTS!!! They HATE Canadian!!! They hate English!!! They was a once Terrorists in 1960's-1970's so in 2010 between 2020, Canada will be gone forever (RIP) then all provinces and territories will become *beep beep beep* civil war and race war and religious war and language war!!! This is Freedom? I always wished ONE GOVERNMENT WORLD in ONE Language, ONE Religious and ONE System then World can be PEACE!

I am 100% Canadian Citizen and I always INSULT to Quebec people or French people, because Quebec should not be independence away from Canada!!! If Quebec did then Canada will be GONE!!! because economy will fall down!!! like CCCP did!!!

I know American would support Quebec for Independence but I will tell all of deaf American to back off! leave Canada alone!

Remember all Canada System is different by Provinces and Territories so I'm in Ontario mean Ontario is lucky and better system than where your friend live in *beep beep beep* province! too bad for her or him in wrong place where they live which is not my problem!

Ontario is best province in Canada :D

Oh Geez! I don't like what you said it, make me big pissed off because mostly is not true because I never give my SIN# (Social Insurance Number) to any Landlord because I have own freedom of privacy! and I always paid rent by Cashs, I never use credit check for 12 years.

I really dislike what mostly american thinking "Canada" mean all system is one, no, Canada dislike USA way because USA have 50 states but Canada have 10 provinces and 3 territories so all provinces and territories is not same the law or the system, all is different the law or the system!!!

You don't understand what is Canada? One Day, Canada will be GONE for damn *beep beep beep* French! Quebec! They are TERRORISTS!!! They HATE Canadian!!! They hate English!!! They was a once Terrorists in 1960's-1970's so in 2010 between 2020, Canada will be gone forever (RIP) then all provinces and territories will become *beep beep beep* civil war and race war and religious war and language war!!! This is Freedom? I always wished ONE GOVERNMENT WORLD in ONE Language, ONE Religious and ONE System then World can be PEACE!
I am 100% Canadian Citizen and I always INSULT to Quebec people or French people, because Quebec should not be independence away from Canada!!! If Quebec did then Canada will be GONE!!! because economy will fall down!!! like CCCP did!!!

I know American would support Quebec for Independence but I will tell all of deaf American to back off! leave Canada alone!

Remember all Canada System is different by Provinces and Territories so I'm in Ontario mean Ontario is lucky and better system than where your friend live in *beep beep beep* province! too bad for her or him in wrong place where they live which is not my problem!

Ontario is best province in Canada :D

Read CAREFULLY! I mentioned I don't know the system in Canada. Beside, I am helping out a dear friend of mine what to look for when it comes to apt search. Your off the topic about Quebec and French here.

Okay, thanks for your input. As I had that experience with background checks as another member stated as well. Let's just proceed with the topic, ok?

DLOP_024, bubba... no need to rant in here about systems and etc.. geeez get off it ok? I posted this topic for help on questions about moving and what to look for at apartments and etc... oyyy... best to step off your soap box and hush ok?? and just offer pointers on apartments and how to do so...

or try a townhouse. some rentals TH are cheaper than apt.
Most apartments required a security deposit, which is equal to the first month rental. You get it back when you moved out (after the deducted all the damages, etc).
Also check if you'll access to a pool, or a pool in the area.
Make sure there is a trash bin outside instead of walking far.
is there a playground if you have kids?
Are there parties (Halloween, xmas, etc).
The Mayor is usually the person who lived in the apartment complex too long.....

or try a townhouse. some rentals TH are cheaper than apt.
Most apartments required a security deposit, which is equal to the first month rental. You get it back when you moved out (after the deducted all the damages, etc).
Also check if you'll access to a pool, or a pool in the area.
Make sure there is a trash bin outside instead of walking far.
is there a playground if you have kids?
Are there parties (Halloween, xmas, etc).
The Mayor is usually the person who lived in the apartment complex too long.....

Hmmm something to look at.... hmm yeah good points on that...

Electronic Benefit Transcations it's came from the county assistance service. Long time I was on my vacation trip to Tulsa, OK'a.. I test my Minnesota EBT card at the Tulsa University ATM and it's work! I took the cash out of TU's ATM. But You can't buy at the store with outstate EBTs, it's must be use at the ATM only to take cash out.

The County assistance service superised, TU ATM charged a fee to the county's expense and No charge on mines LOL!

Back