Apartment Questions.....

Sharky99

Reaction score
OK now that I am moving.. and I know for sure I will move into an apartment.. that would be the first time I am living in an apartment myself.. no roommates as I aint gonna be really interested in doing this till I am ready to do so....

So I am wondering what kind of questions I should be asking for the possible landlord to answer and etc... some sort of checklist to write down and ask.. any kind of question would be welcome, no matter what kind of wacko ones are so it might keep me on my toes if I ever run into something.. so post in here and I will read and write down any good questions to ask when I go apartment hunting soon I hope....

First, you need to find out what you want in an apt, such as how many bedrooms, cable? internet? make sure you read the fine print its important. Normally, the rules are on the lease. You can ask about pet fees if you decide to bring a pet if they do allow any some places don't.

I would check around the apt to make sure nothing is broken , make sure its clean, like tubs, toilets, and sinks. Ask how many sq. ft, ac/heating etc.. I would imagine what you want, what will fit your budget. Do you need furnish/non furnish such as fridge if you have your own or they got one for you that you can rent at a cost fee. I have my own fridge. Check for cooking, stove , microwave, dishwasher /not. Knowing the sq ft is nice bec you have an idea what you want to bring and put in your apt. How you want to decorate it. If I think of more will post. Good luck!

Look very carefully in the inside edges of cupboards for any evidence of cockroach eggs.

make sure that the landlord shows you that the kitchen, bathroom, bath faucets, showerhead as well as other appliances in your apartment work. i would also take pictures of the apartment before moving in (if this is the place you decide to rent) so that your landlord can't accuse you of damaging anything and reducing or eliminating your security deposit as a result. one good question to ask your landlord is their policy regarding leases. will you have a monthly or yearly lease? that's important to know if you need to move out before your lease expires.

If you're on Section 8 or Public housing.. You can ask landlord to get wireless doorbell with flasher, smoke detector with flasher and install siren/flasher inside of your unit interconnected from the hallway siren/flasher box (Central Fire Alarm System). Free charge

Or if you live in regular apts.. Go to managment office and tell them that you need same above, but it's going cost you for a bill (Labor and parts for central fire alarm system).

Some apts have a digital security channel from the entry phone box (intercom or intercom-phone), you can check on digital cable tv for check who's at the entery.

Mines is "Digital Security" channel 906 on my digital cable box its very clear picture than analog.

Analog security channels are gone becuase it's changed to digital now.

Make sure you ask the landlord is the utilities included in the rent or you have to pay sperately. Some utilities included in the rent like heat, electricity, water sometiems they included all or just part of it.

Also it is first, last and security pay up first or just first and security pay.

Find out what kind of heat in the house does it have?

I think that is all for now.

Good luck

Lease agreement!

If you do not want live that apartment more than 11 months then finds an agreement a monthly lease instead year!

When Landlord shows you around the apartment and makes sure you looking for any damage window, wall, kitchen, carpet floor or etc. If Its have damage then write the Contract paper until you move out to avoid landlord to blame you for damage it that you didn't cause it!

also take pictures or videotape too :)

Good luck :D

Furthermore, when you re settle down in your new apartment and inviting us to your party!!! ;)

Sharky, you should apply for ADP's doorbell system.

It is everything from alarm system to doorbell and room noise. Since I fall under poverty line, I apply for ADP and ODSP coverage for this.

CNIB and ADP paid for quite a bit of assistive devices to make the flat "DB" friendly. Hubby and I weren't planning on moving out of the flat for the longest time as we love our flat. Very Deaf friendly. Open spaces.

Apply for both ADP and Disability Supports Program in your local area. It's called ODSP in Ontario but unsure what it's called in Ontario. I googled for it in Manitoba but could not find it.

There's the housing program too and housing does have a long wait list.

When you get to your own apartment, make sure you do not sign for more than a year's contract. Some apartments will try to trap you into a 18 month contract. Don't sign!

Only 12 month contract and don't sign if you do not like what you see in the apartment unit ie.. broken handles, cracked windows, evidence of leaks at the ceiling, check the toilet, check the faucets and best of all... check all the major appliances.

Never settle for dipliated appliances. Some apartments will try to trick you into settling for antiquated appliances and claim they work much better than newer appliances. Antiquated appliances actually use up more energy and burn your food.

Try to look for "an-inclusive" apartment meaning you pay nothing only cable and phone.

Hubby and I pay only hydro and internet. We have no phone because we believe what's the point in having the phone and cable when we don't hear the phone & watch much junk on T.V when we watch DVDs.

Save your $$ the first year living in the apartment by being frugal. Cook double the size you eat on day 1, eat the leftovers on day 2. Do the same on day 3 as day 1 and do same as day 4 as day 2. Be creative with your leftovers.

Heck, I could write a book!

sharky
if you wanted to stay longer you need to renew the lease with landlord or you can ask for renew if you wanted to stay longer
i agree with others to check on things that are not damages or destoryed and etc..

i wish you luck :)

Now these are good points... wow... I will have to write down these points and print these out and etc... still that is helping me more.. I do hope for more questions and etc to come in for me to use... thanks!!

OK now that I am moving.. and I know for sure I will move into an apartment.. that would be the first time I am living in an apartment myself.. no roommates as I aint gonna be really interested in doing this till I am ready to do so....

So I am wondering what kind of questions I should be asking for the possible landlord to answer and etc... some sort of checklist to write down and ask.. any kind of question would be welcome, no matter what kind of wacko ones are so it might keep me on my toes if I ever run into something.. so post in here and I will read and write down any good questions to ask when I go apartment hunting soon I hope....

Absolutely the first question you have to ask: Can I bring my favorite Black Angus?

Never settle for dipliated appliances. Some apartments will try to trick you into settling for antiquated appliances and claim they work much better than newer appliances. Antiquated appliances actually use up more energy and burn your food.

this happened to me when i was looking for apartments in tucson several years ago. the apartment i looked at was nice, but the appliances it had were from the 70s. needless to say, i scratched that apartment off of my list due to concerns about high energy bills.

ask the landlord what maintenance services are like. do they have a maintenance person on staff every day or do they only come on a weekly basis?

if you decide to live in section 8 housing, be sure to ask about annual inspections and how often they occur (on some properties, they take place every 6 months while on others they take place every 12 months).

Keep in mind, not sure if they do this in Canada they do credit checks. All it means, if your responsible to afford an apt. They run a background check on you with credit histories like phone bill, cable bill, and so forth. They do charge to do this process that comes later in the apt that you feel this is the place you want.

I don't know the public assistance rules and name in Canada. Sometimes that can be helpful but not always some of my deaf friends complain about that due to the long waiting list and other factors involved.

Yes, the most important ask , how much is rent? Do they need first and last month rent from you? Security deposit (to hold your apt) also, ask if they do have security onsite who to call in emergancy, make sure you have local police/fire numbers handy. You might want to get a city guide for shopping, banking , resturants etc covered in the area. Maybe, walking distance places in case you want to take a nice walk.

Its all good and you will have fun getting settled and just keep an eye out for a good apt that will fit you :)

i didn't know landlords could charge a prospective tenant for a background/credit check. when did this start taking effect?

i didn't know landlords could charge a prospective tenant for a background/credit check. when did this start taking effect?

yep.... some landlords do that... i think it's usually about $40 for background/credit check. I don't know when this started but it has been around for quite a while.

Back