ABC Cards are part of deaf culture!

^Angel^ said:
I agree with Cheri and the others for what they said in this thread, I 'm not that brave enough to tell them to get a real job when they do approach me with these ABC cards, I guess I don't want to stand there and look at them in the eyes and tell them to get a REAL job, maybe it's because I don't want to hurt their feelings, but than again, I'm guilty of giving them money anyways...
You WHAT?! :eek: Come on, you can get those for FREE. Don't show any sympathy for them--if they don't want to get a job, they shouldn't be getting handouts.

gnulinuxman said:
You WHAT?! :eek: Come on, you can get those for FREE. Don't show any sympathy for them--.

She wouldn't do that in front of me, Because she knows I'll grab that dollar and drag it down her pocket, and show this deaf peddler directions to the nearest Burger King to fill out a job application. :whistle:

Cheri said:
She wouldn't do that in front of me, Because she knows I'll grab that dollar and drag it down her pocket, and show this deaf peddler directions to the nearest Burger King to fill out a job application. :whistle:

Whoa! :jaw:

Cheri said:
Yeah, I know you're smarter than to fall for that! :h5: I would do that too. Lots of places will happily hire deaf people.

Actually I'm a bit more vicious.. A friend of mine and I were at Taco Bell eating lunch. Then this guy comes around to everyone's table and drops the ABC cards on everyone's table. I glanced at it and saw that it was an ABC card and he was asking for 2 dollars in contribution. I looked at my friend then I turned around while he was still passing it out.. I walked up to him - by then the whole store started watching me.. Then I said to him "What the hell are you doing?" He said oh well I'm selling the ABC cards. Then I ripped him a new one and told him hwo he was a disgrace to the deaf community and that he needs to get his crap and get the hell out and go get a job. Adn I told him if he needed moneys o bad then why was he wearing brand new Nikes (Jordans) and Tommy Hilfer Jeans and Shirt. He said oh they were a gift. And I told him go get a job like every friggin American. And quit making us look bad. He went and gathered all the ABC cards from everyone and then left - I never saw him again. Everyone laughed and said they were surprised that I said something.

I'm sorry whether it is for a good cause - but peddling DOES NOT do it!

DefLord said:
Actually I'm a bit more vicious.. A friend of mine and I were at Taco Bell eating lunch. Then this guy comes around to everyone's table and drops the ABC cards on everyone's table. I glanced at it and saw that it was an ABC card and he was asking for 2 dollars in contribution. I looked at my friend then I turned around while he was still passing it out.. I walked up to him - by then the whole store started watching me.. Then I said to him "What the hell are you doing?" He said oh well I'm selling the ABC cards. Then I ripped him a new one and told him hwo he was a disgrace to the deaf community and that he needs to get his crap and get the hell out and go get a job. Adn I told him if he needed moneys o bad then why was he wearing brand new Nikes (Jordans) and Tommy Hilfer Jeans and Shirt. He said oh they were a gift. And I told him go get a job like every friggin American. And quit making us look bad. He went and gathered all the ABC cards from everyone and then left - I never saw him again. Everyone laughed and said they were surprised that I said something.

:h5: WELL DONE!

Someone who are deaf which I dont know who and ask my cousin about abc card or my cousin saw and want to buy abc card then later on she showed me abc card then I was got JUMPY! and tell her DONT BUY ANY OF ABC CARD!!! then she asked me said WHY?? :shock: then I explianed to her which I cant remember I told her about it then she said oh ok wont buy again and didnt buy again :).

I wish who buy abc card should go to ASL class if want to learn sign lanauages not buy from abc card.

Peddlers thinks all want $ from peoples' pocket and faster earn $ than working long hours and wait for pay chq... I've seen them.. Mostly I told them.. Really not necessary need to use peddlers as abc...
but their habits and refused listen anyone who advise them..

Sound like Diaease their mind as obession 'bout $ for their own living decent!

DefLord said:

Good for u to stand up and speak up! :)

ABC cards are not pretty good idea.

IMO, deafies who do not have job or have a lowest wage job, would have to put together like keychain and paper. They cut the hard board papers, then connect them to the keychain. And use rubber bands. They either a different kind of transporation; car, bus, train, bicycle and foot. Go from one restaurant to another..nice when an employer would either kick their butts out or let them in. Life is tough, tho. That is how they need to feel like a "worker." Of course, you will never have a job security: Meaning...they will not get a SSA since the job they do is profitable, not earned. Nor will they get tax return either. It's not a reality job..even thought they work so hard: packing gums in the small bags, put tiny paper in..staple paper to stickers..etc. A lot of works for them but worth it if they feel tired and hate it. That's how it go.

Instead of just using ABC, my kids' dad is a keychain/gum seller for many years due to rough palms of his hands (hate rough feeling..argh) and he hates ABC cards because ABC is a beggin' card in HIS opinion, hence the word "donation." Donate to what??? Nothing. One thing is he feels good because while he's selling, he checks each place and ask for a job application. Not always simple. I gone simply typing for one deaf person before:

"Excuse...................selling....keychain (gum, pen, pencil) for ......................................" Better than "donation."

As for someone who mentioned $700. I'm not sure exactly how a deaf person manages to make $700 in one day. I know a so-called "boss" would forcibly collect the money from poor deaf ppl who worked their butts off for him/her and would gave either 85 percent or 90 percent to the deaf "boss" and kept a tiny amount for themselves. Or any deaf person who would just lie and say, "I made $500 (800, 2000, 3000) every day working hard!" Hard to believe that.

I don't think ABC cards will help. It doesn't do any difference. Training can help, even finding idea of how to sell things for profits..may help like selling blender for $20 bucks. Nice one couple made a very good profits selling blenders, blankets, cereal holders, etc...instead of ABC cards and keychains. (They used to pass out ABC and were embarrassed. Now they have their own selling business with the appliances, home stuffs, etc).

Also, doing these type of business is a very high risk of being in danger. It's not a safe career. You get push off the bicycle by other deaf person, you get shoved into the street by some rivals...you get robbed by strangers or someone you know. Etc...it's not a pretty safe job. You may not even aware that this person may or may not work for a "boss." Still I don't like that.

People who works by selling keychains need to be reported on the SSI application if they sell them. Being honest is better instead of not saying it at all.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i wanna start selling e-mail ABC's hmm :devil:
Ooh, no you don't. I'll tell your mommy on you. Ooh, mommmyyyyyyyy! Oh, waitaminute. I'll tell your wife on you. :D

The last time I've dealt with bosses of other deaf peddlers, INS helped me by giving them a free ride back to where they came from.

The 3 ladies that were peddling the stuff now come to me for the cards and they keep all the money themselves. They only need to bring us reams of colored paper for the copying machine that'll make their cards. Theyre happy they dont have a boss who'll beat them up once a while and they get to work a lot less than they used to.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Theyre happy they dont have a boss who'll beat them up once a while and they get to work a lot less than they used to.

I heard a pimp on Santa Monica Boulevard say the exact same thing once...

Back