ABC Cards are part of deaf culture!

Actually, I have a bit of experience here - I know some of you may lose respect for me (maybe, maybe not), but it was a situation that I got myself into and took me a while to get out of.

As I've stated before, I will soon be in 17 years of recovery from drug addiction - and yes, I learned a life-changing lesson then. At that time, I had to move in with friends, who opened their door and hearts to me, even when I did not have very much except some clothing and personal belongings. I also had SSDI, but because of the drug addiction that I was fighting to get clean and sober, I was placed on five years probation and most of my SSDI had to go towards court fines, lawyer and court fees. The people I was living with sold ABC cards, and they managed to eke out a decent living from that.

As I was having trouble finding a job (I was considered a risk, so therefore not hireable), I decided to try selling them for a while. Suffice to say, I pounded the pavement for two long years selling ABCs, while keeping up my job search and trying to get into a program run by Goodwill Industries.

Suffice to say, I learned quite a bit - there are those people that need to sell ABCs in order to earn money to live on, and then there are those who uses other people to sell for them and then abuse them.

The people I lived with, two sold ABCs - the other two managed to get low-paying, menial jobs and moved around from job to job.

It wasn't easy - but we managed.

So, you can see, I have a lot of empathy for those who NEEDS to sell ABCs in order to supplement their SSI/SSDI. It's not easy living on a fixed income when you're not able to work or find a job.

And FYI, Burger King is pretty picky about the people they hire!!! And that includes all the fast food restuarants out there, too!

I have never sold ABC cards but met a few who did. A couple of deafies I knew had to do it in emergency situations where they had no income or too little income at that time. One deafie did it for while and found another job after several months.

Personally I think it gives bad impression to hearies because most of them never met a deaf person in their lives, even less to talk to a deafie. So they don't know what deafies are like in general--means just same regular people like the hearies (some work and some are using welfare, etc).

I can understand selling abc cards in emergency stituations but dont accept it as a lifestyle choice.

Nesmuth said:
The last time I've dealt with bosses of other deaf peddlers, INS helped me by giving them a free ride back to where they came from.

The 3 ladies that were peddling the stuff now come to me for the cards and they keep all the money themselves. They only need to bring us reams of colored paper for the copying machine that'll make their cards. Theyre happy they dont have a boss who'll beat them up once a while and they get to work a lot less than they used to.

Richard

:gpost: and Amen to that !!!!! :angel:

Today, we got our permit to sell the ASL booklets from the City of Los Angeles. Permit #D6221.

Now we can do this with total confidence!

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Today, we got our permit to sell the ASL booklets from the City of Los Angeles. Permit #D6221.

Pretty sure the feelings among culturally Deaf people against selling ABC cards don't have anything to do with permits.

Interpretrator said:
Pretty sure the feelings among culturally Deaf people against selling ABC cards don't have anything to do with permits.

Youre missing the point sweetie, in the city of LA you need a permit to sell the booklets. I can go back to the TCW building and show the security guy I have the permit.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Youre missing the point sweetie, in the city of LA you need a permit to sell the booklets. I can go back to the TCW building and show the security guy I have the permit.

Richard

I hope the security guard will rip up your permit and kick you out again out on your ass!

Nesmuth said:

Now we can do this with total confidence!

Richard
:slap: <-- What the security guard should do to you.

Nesmuth said:

Richard
Poor LA. :giggle:

Nesmuth said:

Richard

The security guard should do this to you ---> :OP: :bj: :buttsex: :buk: :69: :3some: :lick: :wackit:

don't need a permit if u sell email ABC's hmm? sounds good richard? get a copy of their checking accounts, credit card nbrs, etc.. and u overcharged.. now u're in jail ;)

DeafSCUBA98 said:
don't need a permit if u sell email ABC's hmm? sounds good richard? get a copy of their checking accounts, credit card nbrs, etc.. and u overcharged.. now u're in jail ;)

I wouldn't trust Richard...he would just steal the money out of our accounts and off of our credit cards!

dang didnt know u are required to have a permit to sell that? i dont think you are required to have one here in Arkansas.

I met few deafies that tried to sell me the ABC cards. They gave me the card and i looked at it then signed said I am deaf too. They said Oh I didnt know- I am sorry about that. I said its ok.. I asked them where are they from? They said the name from out of town. I was like cool! They asked me where are you from? I said not far from here. They said ok and we introduced our names. and we parted our ways.. that was few years ago at Walmart. LOL.. I never forget that.. ha..

my sons father did met one at his work.. he signed and they said u worked here? he nodded .. he did buy a card from them.. nice of him? LOL.. he said he got the card for beth his daughter as she did learn to fingerspell now.. now TJ learned to fingerspell too haha.. :)

Nesmuth said:
Youre missing the point sweetie

No, you're entirely missing my point. Legalities have nothing to do with why those who are offended by deaf peddling are offended by it. And I know you know that and are simply being disingenuous as always.

And I'll thank you not to call me "sweetie" unless you're the man who gave me my engagement ring.

Interpretrator said:
And I'll thank you not to call me "sweetie" unless you're the man who gave me my engagement ring.
:rofl: That's a good one Interpretrator.

Interpretrator said:

LMAO!!

Back