ABC Cards are part of deaf culture!

Grrrrr.... Growling........ Errrrr.......

Noooooo! Not those Deaf Peddlers. I hate when they make profit out of those for a living, It's an embarrassment to me, not kidding. I'm tired of seeing them around my hometown demanding money for these sign language cards to donate money for their living expense. I refused to make donations, because I am not one of those stupid people who buy those cards out of pity, just because they're deaf. I've talked to each one of them who I see selling those alphabets sign language cards, Some of them don't even sign as well, some of them sign pretty well, It's hard to tell if they're hearing or deaf. But I certain do not want any deaf people selling those, Come on, it's making us look stupid.

Cheri said:

Noooooo! Not those Deaf Peddlers. I hate when they make profit out of those for a living, It's an embarrassment to me, not kidding. I'm tired of seeing them around my hometown demanding money for these sign language cards to donate money for their living expense. I refused to make donations, because I am not one of those stupid people who buy those cards out of pity, just because they're deaf. I've talked to each one of them who I see selling those alphabets sign language cards, Some of them don't even sign as well, some of them sign pretty well, It's hard to tell if they're hearing or deaf. But I certain do not want any deaf people selling those, Come on, it's making us look stupid.

Just wait until you fall on some really, really , really hard times then you have to sell ABC cards in order to survive then that will be a very humbling experience then you would resent those who judge you because you are trying to put food on the table for your kids, pay the bills and get gas to go search for a job then once you have a job then you can lay down the ABC cards and save for emergency use for later etc.

Heath said:
Just wait until you fall on some really, really , really hard times then you have to sell ABC cards in order to survive then that will be a very humbling experience then you would resent those who judge you because you are trying to put food on the table for your kids, pay the bills and get gas to go search for a job then once you have a job then you can lay down the ABC cards and save for emergency use for later etc.

:blah: :blah:

You think you know me real well, unfortunately, You don't. I've had jobs since the age of 14 to present. I'm a hard worker there no way in hell I'll be selling those cards ever. ;) I'm not going to let my deafness get in the way of not being able to work. That's the attitude that gets you a job. Selling those cards is no job.

Cheri said:
:blah: :blah:

You think you know me real well, unfortunately, You don't. I've had jobs since the age of 14 to present. I'm a hard worker there no way in hell I'll be selling those cards ever. ;) I'm not going to let my deafness get in the way of not being able to work. That's the attitude that gets you a job. Selling those cards is no job.

I never said I know you real well. Stop twisting my words. You really need to re-read what I said. I also have been working jobs since way before you were 14 years old and I don't sell ABC cards. I have seen those who really do need the ABC cards to help their families so you really can't be criticizing them so bad. Selling ABC cards is still hard work and it is not that easy as you think it is. There is more than just the attidute to it. You have to have the experience to go with the job you are looking at and if you don't then go to school and get trained up for it unless your boss will teach you himself.

Heath,

I'm not switching anything Hun. The point is, don't say that I might fall down in the future catching myself selling those cards, because honestly you would not see me ever doing that. If you feel that there is nothing wrong with them selling those cards be it. Don't expect me to agree with you. I speak the truth from the heart, and I do not like how they sell those cards. It makes the Deaf Community and it's people looking for pity. "Oh poor me, I'm deaf and can't get a job" There's McDonald's, They hire you right on the spot with no experience is needed, They train you. But hey, They don't' want to work, So they decide to take advantage of using the "poor me" selling cards to make a living. It's so pathetic.

And one more thing, If the Deaf Peddlers aren't really deaf, But you believe they are deaf and just making a living, Would you be a fool sparing your dollars on someone who just want to make Deaf people look bad? Hearing people who spare a dollar wouldn't know if this deaf peddler is really deaf or not, it's easy to fool people by being mute. But, they certainly cannot fool me, because I know ASL.

Cheri said:
Heath,

I'm not switching anything Hun. The point is, don't say that I might fall down in the future catching myself selling those cards, because honestly you would not see me ever doing that. If you feel that there is nothing wrong with them selling those cards be it. Don't expect me to agree with you. I speak the truth from the heart, and I do not like how they sell those cards. It makes the Deaf Community and it's people looking for pity. "Oh poor me, I'm deaf and can't get a job" There's McDonald's, They hire you right on the spot with no experience is needed, They train you. But hey, They don't' want to work, So they decide to take advantage of using the "poor me" selling cards to make a living. It's so pathetic.

And one more thing, If the Deaf Peddlers aren't really deaf, But you believe they are deaf and just making a living, Would you be a fool sparing your dollars on someone who just want to make Deaf people look bad? Hearing people who spare a dollar wouldn't know if this deaf peddler is really deaf or not, it's easy to fool people by being mute. But, they certainly cannot fool me, because I know ASL.

If a Deaf peddler comes to the Deaf social club then I know for sure that they are Deaf then I see them out doing their business then that is fine. I give them $1.00 and sometimes I am not sure if that person is really Deaf because looks like hearing sign language more than Deaf ASL then I would be careful and check with another Deaf people to make sure that person is the real deal and if he or she is the real deal then the next time I run into them then ok I will give them $1.00 but I always ask another Deaf people to be sure that person is not a drug addict 1st because I want my $1.00 to go to food and pay the bills you know what I mean.... Some are really looking for pity and some are not looking for pity and they look for work and fill applications for a job while they sell ABC cards so for me personally, I don't have a problem with that and I know many in the Deaf community really hate it or really love it because it is a real life saver. Depends on who you are talking to and what their experiences have been with that situation.

Cheri said:
Heath,

I am with you on this one.

Cheri said:

I agree.

Cheri said:
I speak the truth from the heart, and I do not like how they sell those cards. It makes the Deaf Community and it's people looking for pity. "Oh poor me, I'm deaf and can't get a job" There's McDonald's, They hire you right on the spot with no experience is needed, They train you. But hey, They don't' want to work, So they decide to take advantage of using the "poor me" selling cards to make a living. It's so pathetic.

I also agree!!!

When I worked at Burger King. I saw deaf peddler come in and start to sell ABC cards in the dining room which is not suppose to cuz the sign on the door says "no solucation" (spell?) so the deaf man not know that I was deaf, I lead him outside and show the door with the sign, not allow to sell something inside the restaurant.

While we were outside, I was in work uniform, he hand me ABC card with flag pin (he thought that I was hearing), I looked at it and hand it back to him. I started to sign and said to him, "Look at me, I am deaf and I'm working! U go out and find a real job!" He gasped and hurried to his car and left fast. Whoa!!! :giggle:

I disagree about deaf peddler. I don't want hearing ppl to pity on deaf people.

IcedTeaRulz said:
When I worked at Burger King. I saw deaf peddler come in and start to sell ABC cards in the dining room which is not suppose to cuz the sign on the door says "no solucation" (spell?) so the deaf man not know that I was deaf, I lead him outside and show the door with the sign, not allow to sell something inside the restaurant.

While we were outside, I was in work uniform, he hand me ABC card with flag pin (he thought that I was hearing), I looked at it and hand it back to him. I started to sign and said to him, "Look at me, I am deaf and I'm working! U go out and find a real job!" He gasped and hurried to his car and left fast. Whoa!!! :giggle:

WHOA! You are very BRAVE! :giggle:

IcedTeaRulz said:

I was told to never solicit in business stores etc. Always walk on the street sidewalk and sell ABC cards but not beg like a homeless person. Just walk like you would like anybody on the sidewalk, be friendly and sell $1.00 card then thank the person then go on walking and always sell to adults and never sell to children because the adults are the ones with the money. This was explained to me how it works and I watched how it was done. It was interesting but this is not something I would do. I prefer a real job but I can see how a Deaf person can make some real good money in a few hours if he or she does it the right way. I was told how to do it the right way but it is not something I would want to do. A real job is much better.

Heath said:
I was told to never solicit in business stores etc. Always walk on the street sidewalk and sell ABC cards but not beg like a homeless person. Just walk like you would like anybody on the sidewalk, be friendly and sell $1.00 card then thank the person then go on walking and always sell to adults and never sell to children because the adults are the ones with the money. This was explained to me how it works and I watched how it was done. It was interesting but this is not something I would do. I prefer a real job but I can see how a Deaf person can make some real good money in a few hours if he or she does it the right way. I was told how to do it the right way but it is not something I would want to do. A real job is much better.
:ugh2:
Why do you want do that? Its not a price of community. You are using priceless on Deaf community. Did the GAY/LEB has a card and explain how to love and how to sex property? HUH... GAY/LEB is just doing their community and they don't stand and be "FRIENDLY" to made a money. They are doing different way to do than what with your POOP CARD.

ideafspy said:
:ugh2:
Why do you want do that? Its not a price of community. You are using priceless on Deaf community. Did the GAY/LEB has a card and explain how to love and how to sex property? HUH... GAY/LEB is just doing their community and they don't stand and be "FRIENDLY" to made a money. They are doing different way to do than what with your POOP CARD.

What does this have to do with this subject and I have seen gay/lesbians sell booklets for $1.00 with a table stand outside on a sunny day on the sidewalk also they sell lemonade outside on the sidewalk for $1.00 with soda too. You obivously did not read what I said. I do not sell ABC cards. Where did you get that idea? I said I was shown how to do it the right way. That is all and I said I prefer a real job and that I do not judge Deafies if they sell ABC cards and I leave them alone because sooner or later they will want a real job.

I agree with Cheri and the others for what they said in this thread, I 'm not that brave enough to tell them to get a real job when they do approach me with these ABC cards, I guess I don't want to stand there and look at them in the eyes and tell them to get a REAL job, maybe it's because I don't want to hurt their feelings, but than again, I'm guilty of giving them money anyways...

Now it's time to consider voting the ABC card as next president of NAD.

Richard

Back