Deaf Nation new comer

Lillys dad

Reaction score
I took my wife and daughter to Deaf Nation today. I wanted to go so we could start to get involved in the deaf culture. We have very little exposure other than Central Institute for the deaf and the families we have met there.

I have been told by several people on this board and others that it is very important to expose my daughter (and my wife and I) to the deaf culture, afterall, my daughter is deaf.
So if it is so important for her to be exposed to this community, then why do so many people give us/her the cold shoulder when I try to do this?
I have never felt so unwanted in my life. Along those lines, I have never seen so many people look at a child with such disgust, just because she has a C.I.
Then they look at my wife and I like we chopped off her arms.
I spent several years patrolling in a very violent anti police area where the majority of its residents would rather shoot me than talk to me (litterally). Yet I have never felt so looked down upon, and looked at with pure disgust.

The only positive note, I spent a couple of hours there and I did run into a couple of people that I know. I also met a very nice married couple and had a very nice conversation with them. They are both deaf. She has a C.I. and he is undergoing the testing to get a bilatteral ci. They were very vocal in theri support of my daughter being implanted. They even told me to ignore anyone that says anything to the contrary.

As said above, I was told (and feel) that it is important to expose my daughter to the deaf culture. When I do, I get looked down upon, and shunned. A parents job is to raise a child in the manner they see best right?
So why then should I continue to expose her to a community that shuns her and rejects her based soley on a medical procedure she had that makes it possible for her to hear as a "hearie".Afterall, isnt that what I'm called?
I raise my daughter in a manner that promotes her having an open mind. I see first hand the effects of stereotyping, bias, and prejudice every day at work. Why would I support and encourage her to be active in a cultre that openly supports these things?

:mad:

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder if the interest in sign language, which I have for not a family reason like yours but simply a love for language, is one I should not fulfill...or at least be VERY careful with who I learn from.

I'm already shy, and even shier when I speak foreign languages (even the ones I know well).

I don't want to be afraid of being rejected for having an interest that I am somehow not entitled to have as a hearing person (in the eyes of some), or rejected because I've made mistakes. I don't want to be mocked, laughed at, or put down.

Mind you, I know that the prejudicial types do not make up the entire dhh community. But it does make me afraid of getting a bad teacher or being with students who don't want me in their class.

I believe they looked down on you because they think you were there to preach Deaf people about CI, because that's what medical doctors consultants and surgeons advise and being pushy to Deaf people to get CI, I've seen them going on and on about how it would improve the quality of one's life. I feel it was inappropriate for them to go down my throat about it.

I'm not going to lie to you, but to be quite honest there are some Deaf people who believes in "Deaf power", They are the people who just like to be in their little world, doesn't approve oral, mainstream, total communication, nor CI.

From what I know there are different views in Deaf culture towards adults who make the choice to get a CI and towards parents who implant their children. You were probably the subject of prejudice towards the latter. It's a shame that that happened since obviously just by being there you are interested in exposing your child to Deaf culture, but it's a very emotional issue. Like if you went to a very strict Catholic church and you got an abortion, even if you still believed in Catholicism and wanted to be part of it, there would probably be many people in that church who would shun you.

Awwww....Lili'sdad! I have to say I agree with Cheri. Some of the CI advocates are really moving into overkill. Did you explain to them that you're not anti-Sign? I mean according to stats, 1/2 of implantees STILL use Sign! I think too, that some parents who chose Oral only (as opposed to oral first) may have turned them off.....those types can ruin it for EVERYONE! Maybe too b/c you're in St. Louis, there's not as many "oral first folks"

Oh, and I think once the anthology that my piece is,in comes out, you'll find the Deaf community a little more accepting towards CId kids.
It's interesting.....my friend's daughter is hoh (moderate to severe loss, just like me) and she learned Sign when she was little, and from what I've heard Remy's had ZERO problems with being accepted in the deaf communty!

Some deaf community are.... nevermind... :D

Lilysdad - I am sorry you and family had to experience like that... But, there are some other people with different organizations (such as HearingLoss Association of America that you and your family probably will feel more welcomed in the community. :)

Brian, no I disagree...... Lilii'sdad's family is already hooked up with organizations like HLA.....they need organizations that help kids learn Sign. Lilisdad, try American Society for Deaf Children, and their related listserv.
OHHHHHHH.......I've got an idear.....I know that the stats say that most orally educated kids learn sign. Maybe contact the allumni association of Lili's school, and find out from allumni which organizations helped them learn Sign and stuff like that! Some of the extremists out there.......but please remember, a lot of people here support you. Maybe it's just b/c you're in an extreme area (one where oral only is very popular) .....and at least you did find some friendly people. It takes time.....Bet you anything by the time Lili's ten, people will accept CIs a lot more!

Correct deafdyke. I too disagree with Brian.

It takes a lot of patience to be particularly involved totally. Just like how Deaf people walk in the society with all the hearing people.

Brian said:
Some deaf community are.... nevermind... :D

Lilysdad - I am sorry you and family had to experience like that... But, there are some other people with different organizations (such as HearingLoss Association of America that you and your family probably will feel more welcomed in the community. :)

Hi Lilysdad,

Yes that is a good place also check out http://www.cici.org/

There are many Deaf militants that really hate Deaf people with C.I. and are very ASL ( American Sign Language ).

For me, personally I wear a BTE hearing aid ( Behind The Ear ) and I have found being able to hear environmental noise and people walking or just everyday noise really helps alots. I can't talk to people or understand what they are saying but I can hear noises of what is going on.

Like everything else in life, there are people who will be friendly towards one group then hate another group. That is a normal human reaction which can be either protective or destructive but there is a line where that should not be crossed.

I have actually been physically attacked for supporting a friend who needed a C.I. even though another Deaf people would not listen because my friend would not benefit from a BTE hearing aid and it did show up on the audiologist testing and he got fitted for a C.I. the a couple weeks go by then I go to see some Deaf friends and I got attacked right there. A very bad fistfight broke out all because I supported someone who needed a C.I. and that a BTE hearing aid would not benefit my friend so just keep an eye on your daughter and it would be good to teach her ASL and go to a Deaf school where ASL is used. I know many Deaf people who have the C.I. and use ASL to chat and that is fine by me.

Heath said:
There are many Deaf militants that really hate Deaf people with C.I. and are very ASL ( American Sign Language ).

The word "hate" is a very powerful word, I don't believe anyone hate one that has a CI. They just don't agree with CI.

CI issues.....

This is one reason why there are 4 oral programs in St. Louis and we are FED UP and TIRED of those audists fishing for more people to be IMPLANTED.... the bottom line is we are tired of those people who play GOD with our lives....so anytime anywhere they will do anything to remind those audists that they are "unwelcome". If they had different approach and different attitude, we may not be in that position. BUT from many years of audist abuses and this town being under plantation mentality, then there is a nutshell syndrome made by audists that the Deaf are trying to crack for years.

We do not have to hate, we just simply remind them that they were WRONG in first place. Too late to reverse anything so they will be "shunned" as they asked for it in first place. They listened to lies and half truths from audists.

CI is never and will NOT be a miracle....deaf people will always be deaf regardless! You can't change what God gave us. If He wants us to be Deaf, so be it!

:roll:

Deaf Images said:
so anytime anywhere they will do anything to remind those audists that they are "unwelcome".

Even if they come there with their child hoping to expose her to Deaf culture? That seems like a somewhat self-defeating attitude. The Deaf community is going to have to start accepting people with CIs who nevertheless want to learn sign and become part of the community, or the culture really is going to vanish.

I understand if you don't want people there preaching about CIs to you, but it sounds to me like Lilys_dad was there trying to open his child's horizons.

Lillys dad said:
.............So if it is so important for her to be exposed to this community, then why do so many people give us/her the cold shoulder when I try to do this?
I have never felt so unwanted in my life. Along those lines, I have never seen so many people look at a child with such disgust, just because she has a C.I.
Then they look at my wife and I like we chopped off her arms.
I spent several years patrolling in a very violent anti police area where the majority of its residents would rather shoot me than talk to me (litterally). Yet I have never felt so looked down upon, and looked at with pure disgust.
I am so sorry that you had that experience. One would expect that interest in Deaf culture would be welcomed.
Lack of signlanguage is not an excuse to be treated that way. I think that the reaction from "Deaf Images" above this post gives an idea of the mindset of the people that treated your family so bad.
It's their loss.

I hope that you will be able to keep contact with the few deaf/CI people that you met and were helpfull. These contacts might be the most valuable persons in your and your daughters life.

Deaf Images said:
This is one reason why there are 4 oral programs in St. Louis and we are FED UP and TIRED of those audists fishing for more people to be IMPLANTED.... the bottom line is we are tired of those people who play GOD with our lives....so anytime anywhere they will do anything to remind those audists that they are "unwelcome". If they had different approach and different attitude, we may not be in that position. BUT from many years of audist abuses and this town being under plantation mentality, then there is a nutshell syndrome made by audists that the Deaf are trying to crack for years.

We do not have to hate, we just simply remind them that they were WRONG in first place. Too late to reverse anything so they will be "shunned" as they asked for it in first place. They listened to lies and half truths from audists.

CI is never and will NOT be a miracle....deaf people will always be deaf regardless! You can't change what God gave us. If He wants us to be Deaf, so be it!

:roll:
Well, that gave us an excellent insight. A very valuable post.

By the way...
So, God created illnesses, and then the devil created antibiotics. I'm sure you do not use these either, because God WANTS you to be sick. Using antibiotics is to go against the will of God.
I can believe that He provided all help that is available. It's up to the individual to use it.

Regarding deafness. God gave us a little two-letter miracle....

Cheri said:
The word "hate" is a very powerful word, I don't believe anyone hate one that has a CI. They just don't agree with CI.

Then why did they physically attack me ? I just was there for my friend.

Don't make a list of excuses. You were not there.

LilysDad-

Will have to accept some facing the deaf people who against CI on children..
Or. lucky you might meet Deaf people who acceptance of this.

But I am glad that you are trying to do "introduce" deaf culture with your daughter...

I myself am against CI on kids for some apparently reasons.. Because I went through when i was young.. I hated my mom for this.. so dont want end up some consquences with children who grow up and hating their parents for CI implanted.. in my opinion.. that parents should wait till children grow up and understand about CI and discuss with them.. want it or not..

I understand that for parents wanted children to hear or speak normally like hearing people.. but there are always ASL or sign languages to communicate with...

DoofusMama said:
I myself am against CI on kids for some apparently reasons.. Because I went through when i was young.. I hated my mom for this.. .......
I have a feeling that "what you went through when you were young" and "I hated my mom for this" has more to do with NOT having CI than it has with having CI.
Care to elaborate on the "apparently reasons"? I think it will help Lillys dad a lot.

Deaf Image's post represents an extremist view of anti-audism. In that vein, he's akin to someone who is a rabid Christian and condemns anyone who is not of his own specific belief, and anyone who is not in a monogamous, missionary position relationship is to be condemned and sentenced to be burned at the stake.

Those people are slowly dying out, but not getting any quieter. They are there simply to discourage people from change, which C.I.s are a part of. C.I.s are a choice that are not to be entered into lightly, but neither are they evil nor despised by the deaf community except for those who fear change and resist the deaf community's adaptations to C.I.s.

I almost believe that if deaf people had powerful lawyers and lobbists, then C.I.s would be just one of those things outlawed in the U.S., just like guns and stem cell research is because of the liberal lobby and the Conservative Christian lobby. Fortunately, that's not the case, because lawyers and lobbists never solve any problems. :)

Cloggy said:
I have a feeling that "what you went through when you were young" and "I hated my mom for this" has more to do with NOT having CI than it has with having CI.
Care to elaborate on the "apparently reasons"? I think it will help Lillys dad a lot.

Sure Cloggy (the pita) hehe..

clarfiy this feelings.. sir..

My mom was not accepting my hearing loss when i was 18 months old, after I had my DTP vaccines (shots) and had fever.. I lost my hearings pretty much 40% loss.. I was like "hard of hearing" I still can hear alot of things with hearing aids, even I can talk on phone..
My mother tried as much she can to took me places like healings.. we went to many different events where PTL club, 700 Club, Jimmy Stwart.. she took me up on stage and asking God to give my hearing back.. went to chircaptor, hoping to get my hearing back.. took some medications..
till i was almost 15 years old.. I had this accpunture treatment.. I went through painful 3 months.. 3 times a week.. I start to notice that my hearing aids volume was turning little higher and higher.. the more i cant hear and it made my speech better that makes mom think it WORKED!!.. I tried to explain her that its NOT working.. showed her hearing aids that it set to 8-9 (before 3).. she dont believe me at all.. so I start to run away from home, she kept pulling me back in the treatment with physical abuse like drag me, pull my hair and dragged me in.. Till the accpunture dr said, it didnt work.. took me to hearing tests.. It showed proven that I lost 20% more.. my mother threw her best fits that I was b.s'ing her.. She found out about CI.. She told me about it.. (at 15 1/2 years old).. I told her.. Please accept my deafness and I am exhausted to go many places.. I am happy who i am.. She refused to accept that, she threw her fits that I MUST take this CI.. couple months later, she tricked me to go in hospital.. she said "we are going in for hearing test to get you new hearing aids".. we went in early morning.. I saw doctors, nurses with white gowns and mask.. I was like.. uh? mom said.. oh its new place for hearing test.... she acted so strange.. my guts said its not good.. Nurse came and asked me to change clothes into gown and get IV ready.. I said stop.. what i am here for.. she said.. you dont know? I said I am here for hearing test.. nurse noticed mom walking around nervously.. nurse called dr in, Dr explained that I am getting surgery for CI.. I jumped and ran away.. I never came home.. till my dad found me a new home with his best friend living in ranch, stayed there for 2 years to my graduations..

Now days, she still denied what she did to me.. and still bugged me to getting CI.. :/ and thinking that deaf cultures are dangerous and bad people.. :/

Look at me.. I have house.. 6 kids.. and wonderful man.. and wonderful friends.. (sigh)..

So, my point is.. discuss with children who are old enough about getting CI.. than forcing to get one or make your life miserable..

Back