our puppy attacked by stray pitbull

MsGiglz

Reaction score
I feel so so SO voilated after I found out... that Minnesota law have NO bite/vigious law...

This morning around 10am, Rocky was on leash and doing his business in the backyard... I saw two stray dogs one is pitbull, one is coonhound/collie mix... i ran to close the gate and told kids get in the house but the pitbull already ran past the kids and went for Rocky... Attack him like hes a doll..
I tried to pull rope to get my dog.. but pit bull wont let go.. neighbors came and helped to break up ... My daughter called police.. police sound like do nothing with it.. just say will sent animal control.. 5 min later.. the animal control picked up the pitbull and said that pitbull isnt first time.. had been trouble before..... also said.. will hold the dog till the owner come get him.. I was like what?? if it did before.. why not put to sleep? hes dangerous after first bite... animal control said there is no law..

I am going to press charge.. Rocky is in hospital right now.. xray showed that arent any broken bones.. but tear muscle and possible lose nerve.. will see him later in the afternoon...

I dont know if i should take action.. go in police dept and COMPLAIN?

I am just overwhelmed.. thankful that pitbull didnt go after our kids.. (espically marshalee or allen..).. thankful that Rocky is alive but he wont be the same... will be scarred for his life.

Go over City Hall.. and your rights speak it out...
or go MEDIA
Key is MEDIA.. police will turns it out embrassement and doesn't want you turn into MEDIA..

Don't let them win over you..
Your RIGHTS!

Did you try to kick that pitbull dog down or something? 'cause thats what I would do if a big dog like a pitbull runs up and tries to attack me, I would find a good spot to kick him in the ribs and that would slow him down as he's in pain, etc...

:( DoofusMama, I am so sorry to hear about Rocky, and I do hope that he will be back with your family really soon. Thank God the children were not hurt by that pitbull. But, if the police did tell you that this dog has attacked before, then they would take the dog away, and then try to find the owners of the dog to notify them that their dog has attacked your dog. Also, I am not sure in your state, but, in most states, there is a leash law, and that it's against the law for owners to let their dog go astray without a leash. You also have the right to submit your vet bill to the owners of the pitbull seeing as this dog has entered your property without a proper leash or the owner being available at the time. Unfortunately, they won't put a pitbull to sleep unless this pitbull has killed another animal, or has severely wounded a child. But, don't give up your fight, this pitbull needs to be put away. The sad part is, these pitbulls are raised to be mean by the owners, other than that, they are usually sweet dogs. There are very few of them that have a sweet personality.
Do whatever you can, but, make sure that you submit your medical bill from the vet to the owners of the pitbull, and maybe now these owners will wake up and take the proper precaution to keep their dog on a leash, or locked up in it's own yard.
I hope Rocky will be better soon. Keep us updated!!

Bullym0m said:
Go over City Hall.. and your rights speak it out...
or go MEDIA
Key is MEDIA.. police will turns it out embrassement and doesn't want you turn into MEDIA..

Don't let them win over you..
Your RIGHTS!

Bullymom.. you have guts and I dont... but I will go like, investiage more what laws we have... like I did.. to collect more info from Vet.. wrote down on notes.. and signed by Vet.. then talked with animal control, both said almost similar.. they couldnt do anything.. animal control just release dog to owner.. I was just.. ugh.. and found out that owner have 3 pit bulls.. and one coon hound collie mix.. animal control said that owner denied that pitbull are dangerous unless other dogs threatened him... it boggled my mind.. that my dog was in backyard and tied by rope to tree.. was playing with my kids.... pitbull saw Rocky.. and just went straight to him.. it wasnt threatened...

MEDIA.. well well.. I grew up in twin cities, I am well known being in MEDIA... I know the way or works... you have to collect more informations and if you have negative remarks... if that pitbull repeatly attack more than 3 times.. it will come to media..
the animal control and police on phone said, its LOW protriety .. and they sent animal control.. if dog attacks human being.. they will sent polices and forces.. I told police.. "pitbull" .. they gave me shrugs looks.. like "i know"

But i am making sure that owner pays..

Btw, I posted the first post.. I was scared and upset.. with all that incidents...

Steel said:
Did you try to kick that pitbull dog down or something? 'cause thats what I would do if a big dog like a pitbull runs up and tries to attack me, I would find a good spot to kick him in the ribs and that would slow him down as he's in pain, etc...

I tried to hit with stick.. the more you hit pitbull, he bit deep and stay on Rocky.. I kicked.. pitbull bit more and ripped out skin from Rocky's.. So I ran to get my man, he ran to the pit bull .. hit him with long stick.. neighbor hit him with metal pipe.. other neighbor grabbed the collar.. and pulled away..
it was scary nasty sights..

even the animal control took pitbull by leash and walked to put in truck.. that pitbull seems not in pain.. just panted and seems satisfy that he "won".................dang..

CODAchild said:
:( DoofusMama, I am so sorry to hear about Rocky, and I do hope that he will be back with your family really soon. Thank God the children were not hurt by that pitbull. But, if the police did tell you that this dog has attacked before, then they would take the dog away, and then try to find the owners of the dog to notify them that their dog has attacked your dog. Also, I am not sure in your state, but, in most states, there is a leash law, and that it's against the law for owners to let their dog go astray without a leash. You also have the right to submit your vet bill to the owners of the pitbull seeing as this dog has entered your property without a proper leash or the owner being available at the time. Unfortunately, they won't put a pitbull to sleep unless this pitbull has killed another animal, or has severely wounded a child. But, don't give up your fight, this pitbull needs to be put away. The sad part is, these pitbulls are raised to be mean by the owners, other than that, they are usually sweet dogs. There are very few of them that have a sweet personality.
Do whatever you can, but, make sure that you submit your medical bill from the vet to the owners of the pitbull, and maybe now these owners will wake up and take the proper precaution to keep their dog on a leash, or locked up in it's own yard.
I hope Rocky will be better soon. Keep us updated!!

Thanks CODA!!.. yes, I almost break down with all that panic and crying.. was out of control... yes.. i am grateful that kids are safe & untouched..
We got Rocky back at around 3pm.. hes still shaken up.. wearing Cone around his neck.. have over 10 stitches and swollen right leg from shoulder to toe.. and back leg sore...hes still sedated... laying down in our room resting with his favorite blanket and stuffed toy... hes still whining and bark at us to leave him alone.. hes all sore.. (sigh)..
Yes, I saved all the conversations and bills to save.. for that pitbull's owner..
yes about leash.. there are fined for that.. but fights or already fights.. will give them charge and tagged... thats it.. :/

but thanks for input info... and whts more.. thankful that we all are fine and Rocky's slowly recovering and alive.

:)

I'm afraid to let my dog go outside since i live in minnesota and i have a very friendly dog who wouldn't fight back i hope rocky is ok and i hope the pitbull goes down. what makes it worse is that pit now gives a name to even the friendly pits

If local laws doesn't apply to dogs, contact your city council members, or even the legislators to author a bill that you want to see. Please PM me to tell me where you live so I can find who represent you. Other thing, you can research on ordiances in your city. If you want to take the matter to legislature, please let me know and I can lobby on your behalf, since I am citizen lobbyist, and I've lobby on some things past this session. They don't start until March 1, so it would be good chance to contact your legislators, and work with her or him to draft the law. Personal story is best, thats what the legislators want to hear from YOU! That is all I can help you.

Aww Doofusmama. I'm sorry about Rocky. I hope he will get well REAL SOON.. The main thing to do is left him alone and let him rest. He will be fine in few days. Poor Rocky. :(

Hitting the pitbull with sticks will not work. Water hose or big bucket full of water are best as pitbull always get confused like what? They will let go of the dog in the mouth as the muscle is all way from mouth to the head that's why they are very strong. They can rip off muscle, break bones, ears, and eyes etc..

How I know about the water? Is I have bad experiences with pitbulls. My sister had two pitbulls. My sister's dog Bart was so SWEET! Didn't have any trouble with my dogs. Till my sister's female pitbull name Gippy got in heat. All of a sudden they got in fights all times? So every time Bart see my dogs Dun Dun and Foxy. Bart just go straight to them and fight with them.

We TRIED!! Hitting Bart with sticks- over and over. It was HARD. Finally separating them after like 5 min or something. So I took Foxy to Vet. Said he's bad. Don't think he will make it thru. I said NO save him! PLS! Vet said OK. Lucky Foxy was saved.. :)

Like a week later- but second time Bart attacked him and I used the water hose and yes IT WORKS!!!!!! Sad to say that Foxy died from the second attack. Foxy is a small dog..A mixed spitz breed :( I am so MAD!!!! And I do miss him so much. sighs. I got bitten on my leg by Foxy and I still have the scar. Sighs. Anyway my dog Dun Dun beat him! LOL. He had more experiences than Bart. Haha.. After that horrible experiences we cant have them together anymore.

Couple of months later Bart got loose and attacked my mom's dog name is Girl (mixed German shepherd and wolf) Bart got hold of her leg and attacked her.. She just whined and tried to get away. My stepdad got fed up with Bart and decided to put him out. He said tired of all the fights. It's enough!!!! He said better to put him to sleep due to small kids around? no more!!!! It's sad i know but we had no choice.. :(

That pitbull that got Rocky already taste blood.. Once he taste blood he will continue get aggressive and will fight with any dogs he see in sight. It's inhumane i know but the pitbulls are known to fights. I was watching the show today about pitbulls. One owner have over 60 pitbulls and all were on chained each. They caught the owner for having pitbull fights. They arrested the guy. Anyway all of the dogs that they confiscated was put to sleep. ALL. Yes.. They said can't release them to public and be adopted by people cuz they already taste blood. Once they taste blood they will become more meaner and aggressive and will FIGHT!!!! They didn't want the pitbulls to hurt people and animals. So no choice for them. That's so sad.. Stupid for people to breed them for fights?? Ugh.. Sighs..

Anyway- Yes do something about it. By starting like file charges against the owner for letting the dog loose as there is a leash law. And make the owner PAY all your vet bills!!! Suffering and pains for all of your kids cuz they can't play with Rocky?? Did they witness it?? If so.. Tell them that kids saw it and it traumatized them badly?? The pitbull could have got the kids hurt? I'm thankful the kids are fine!! God were watching over them..

Let me know how things goes. Rocky will be fine but scarred and traumatized for life .. He's very lucky!!! :)

My thoughts are with u, family and Rocky.. :)

Hugs,
Ginger :)

racheleggert said:
If local laws doesn't apply to dogs, contact your city council members, or even the legislators to author a bill that you want to see. Please PM me to tell me where you live so I can find who represent you. Other thing, you can research on ordiances in your city. If you want to take the matter to legislature, please let me know and I can lobby on your behalf, since I am citizen lobbyist, and I've lobby on some things past this session. They don't start until March 1, so it would be good chance to contact your legislators, and work with her or him to draft the law. Personal story is best, thats what the legislators want to hear from YOU! That is all I can help you.

sent PM....

Luckysmile23 said:
The main thing to do is left him alone and let him rest. He will be fine in few days. Poor Rocky. :(

Ahh I will take your word.. because he refused let me near him... he snarls and growls.. pulling away.. I tried to make him comfort.. hes so shaking and cold.. but my man came and talk to him and pet him.. Rocky wag his tail.. I feel bad.. maybe Rocky is happy cuz my man 'save' his life.. he was beat the shit out on the pitbull and try to let Rocky go..

For now, I will leave him alone.. He wanted go outside.. I helped him.. let him walk through by himself.. he went to bush and sat there.. tried to go potty.. he couldnt.. hes all scared and nervous.. he looked around and look scared.. wanted go back inside.. once he went inside, he peed.. I told him .. its ok.. clean up the mess..

I hope hes doing ok.. back to his old self.. playful puppy and nip my arm to pet him..

I know about pit bulls.. we dont have water back up.. we closed our hoses for winter.. after the neighbor lady hit metal pipe on pitbull.. he stopped and backed out..

yes.. i am not going to have owner pay only vet bill.. i will have have owner pay for suffering and pain.. cuz Rocky will have permament injury on his front leg and shoulder.. that what vet said.. torn muscle.. might lose nerve will follow up in 14 days.. (remove stitches) and check leg.. then 3 months for check up again.. yes.. 2 of our kids saw whole thing.. they couldnt sleep.. tonight.. i gave them tyentol to relieve headaches and sleep..

----leaving Rocky alone and let him rest.

Take pictures of Rocky's wounds. To be safe, in case if you have to fight for it.. You'll have evidence that Rocky was attacked. So make sure you take pictures now..
I'm glad Rocky is okay!! :hug:

i hope rocky feels better soon, my boxer is a real small boxer and people always walk up to me unsure and ask me if shes a pitbull and im like no shes a boxer then their like oh ok and pet her. poor pitbulls just have a bad rep.

DoofusMama said:
Ahh I will take your word.. because he refused let me near him... he snarls and growls.. pulling away.. I tried to make him comfort.. hes so shaking and cold.. but my man came and talk to him and pet him.. Rocky wag his tail.. I feel bad.. maybe Rocky is happy cuz my man 'save' his life.. he was beat the shit out on the pitbull and try to let Rocky go..

For now, I will leave him alone.. He wanted go outside.. I helped him.. let him walk through by himself.. he went to bush and sat there.. tried to go potty.. he couldnt.. hes all scared and nervous.. he looked around and look scared.. wanted go back inside.. once he went inside, he peed.. I told him .. its ok.. clean up the mess..

I hope hes doing ok.. back to his old self.. playful puppy and nip my arm to pet him..

I know about pit bulls.. we dont have water back up.. we closed our hoses for winter.. after the neighbor lady hit metal pipe on pitbull.. he stopped and backed out..

yes.. i am not going to have owner pay only vet bill.. i will have have owner pay for suffering and pain.. cuz Rocky will have permament injury on his front leg and shoulder.. that what vet said.. torn muscle.. might lose nerve will follow up in 14 days.. (remove stitches) and check leg.. then 3 months for check up again.. yes.. 2 of our kids saw whole thing.. they couldnt sleep.. tonight.. i gave them tyentol to relieve headaches and sleep..

----leaving Rocky alone and let him rest.

right.. thats what i did.. i left my dog Foxy alone for first couple of days as he refused to let me near him.. he growled at me.. he was scared and hurt.. was in alot of pains.. thats how i know.. and why i told u to let him be.. he will be back to his old self few days.. just be patient.. hes shaking and cold.. mean hes in shock.. keep him warm with blanket.. and keep an eye on him make sure he doesnt get worse..

if Rocky had to go.. just let him go.. he know cuz he is in pains and scared.. just be understanding.. :(

Rebelgirl said to take pics.. and light bulb go off in my mind- GET WITNESSES who were there to witness the fights.. get all accounts and have reports of it together and sue the owner!!!! that will help your case!

Poor kids.. just be there for them and love them.. I can imagine being in their shoes.. worrying, scared, and sad cuz of their puppy got hurt? Poor Rocky.. i hope with love and caring he will be back to normal.. no dog or cats or puppy have to go thru horrible experience like that.. :(

DoofusMama said:
Thanks CODA!!.. yes, I almost break down with all that panic and crying.. was out of control... yes.. i am grateful that kids are safe & untouched..
We got Rocky back at around 3pm.. hes still shaken up.. wearing Cone around his neck.. have over 10 stitches and swollen right leg from shoulder to toe.. and back leg sore...hes still sedated... laying down in our room resting with his favorite blanket and stuffed toy... hes still whining and bark at us to leave him alone.. hes all sore.. (sigh)..
Yes, I saved all the conversations and bills to save.. for that pitbull's owner..
yes about leash.. there are fined for that.. but fights or already fights.. will give them charge and tagged... thats it.. :/

but thanks for input info... and whts more.. thankful that we all are fine and Rocky's slowly recovering and alive.

:)
:hug: Hey Mama!!!! I was just going to post again to see how Rocky is doing? Poor thing, he must be so traumatized by what has happened to him today. That pitbull really did some damage to Rocky didn't he? I am glad that you saved all those bills, that owner of the pitbull should assume responsibility to what their dog has done to Rocky. I hope Rocky will continue to get better, and I am sure once the soreness goes away, he will be his ol' self again. Give Rocky a hug for me. He's lucky to have a wonderful and loving owner as yourself, Mama!!!! Good luck with his recovery, and I will be checkin in again really soon!!!!
Take care and God Bless :hug:

*hugs* Annie -- I've been reading/hearing about a spate of pitbull biting incidents around here in Sonoma County. The biggest one was in San Francisco where a 12 year old boy was mauled to death by the 2 family pitbulls. :(
I'm just grateful that this pitbull didn't attack any of your kids or yourself...am sorry about Rocky, sure hope he pulls through this.

RebelGirl said:
Take pictures of Rocky's wounds. To be safe, in case if you have to fight for it.. You'll have evidence that Rocky was attacked. So make sure you take pictures now..
I'm glad Rocky is okay!! :hug:

yep, already did that before we took him to vet....

CODAchild said:
:hug: Hey Mama!!!! I was just going to post again to see how Rocky is doing? Poor thing, he must be so traumatized by what has happened to him today. That pitbull really did some damage to Rocky didn't he? I am glad that you saved all those bills, that owner of the pitbull should assume responsibility to what their dog has done to Rocky. I hope Rocky will continue to get better, and I am sure once the soreness goes away, he will be his ol' self again. Give Rocky a hug for me. He's lucky to have a wonderful and loving owner as yourself, Mama!!!! Good luck with his recovery, and I will be checkin in again really soon!!!!
Take care and God Bless :hug:

Aww thanks!!! Huggs.. This morning... neighbors came and checked and wanted to be on our case.. because they got call from animal control that the owner came and picked.. paid the fine.. didnt tell animal control what will the owner do with pitbull dog..... the neighbors were so upset, I am too.. we are watching ourselves ...

Rocky is getting better after my man lead him to outside .. showed him that pitbull dog is not here.. and Rocky sniffed around.. he is glad that pitbull didnt leave markings.. so it bring him more perks and uplifting.. hes walking around little bit better.. he misses his critter friends (squirrels and stray kittens) in backyard.. he sit and watched them..
I just upload some pics.. will post here shortly.. (i need to go diapter duty)

thanks again *huggs*

Oh boy, I am glad your pup is all right. Make sure owner of that dog pay the vet bills. If not bring them to small court. We and our neighbors used to shoot loose dogs when they attacked cows, horses, chickens, etc. Now it has changed, not sure if we are allow to do this. I used to love walk with my son's dog but fed up with my neighbors for let their dogs out and chase us. I used to threw rocks at them to keep them away from us but pit bull nothing will stop them even pepper spray won't work on them.

I took dog course at PO last spring and they said pit bull is one of the strongest dog next to rotiweller. Their jaw can pull up to 2 thousand pounds if I remember it is right. Rotiweller can pull up to 1500 lbs while regular dogs only can pull up to 500 lbs.

Back