Should Looters Be Shot On Sight?

rockin'robin

Reaction score
In September 1989, Hurricane Hugo, a Category 4 storm, made landfall in South Carolina with wind gusts clocked as high as 120 mph. The storm left a wake of destruction along the state’s beachfront and to the so-called Low Country areas, leaving hundreds of thousands without power, and either completely destroying or inflicting major damage to more than 20,000 single family homes throughout the state.

As part of preparing for the storm, then-Gov. Carroll Campbell Jr. issued a ‘shoot-on-sight’ order to the South Carolina National Guard.

A few days after the storm had passed, Mary T. Schmich, a reporter for the Chicago Tribune, wrote about the devastation to the area and the heart wrenching scene, as “7,000 residents of the Isle of Palms and neighboring Sullivans Island were unable to return to their houses,” as the connecting bridge from the mainland was badly damaged, and too dangerous to cross.

…they were only vaguely consoled by the news that martial law had been declared on the island to deter looters.

The National Guard are firing shots in front of boats to keep them from docking…And they`re shooting at looters.

Well, guess what?

There was little to no looting in the aftermath of the almost Biblical hurricane, though structures were left opened with riches for the taking.

The ‘shoot-on-sight’ order worked.

Now, fast forward 25 years to Ferguson, MO, and a few months later to Baltimore, MD…

Because the police had been given orders in both cities to basically stand down, hundreds of businesses were both looted and destroyed by fires. Of course, many of those shops will never re-open, as was the case after the wholesale sacking of South Central Los Angeles, after the ‘Rodney King Riots’ in 1992.

http://universalfreepress.com/poll-looters-shot-sight/#

I remember Hurricane Hugo well. We lived thru it in SC. It was the closest I've come to death. It was frightening.

Anyway, it was Charleston Police Chief Reuben Greenberg who made the difference. At his funeral last year, Mayor Riley remembered how Greenberg told his officers what to do about looters.

". . . Riley credited Greenberg with making sure there was not widespread looting after Hurricane Hugo struck - it was widely reported that Greenberg had advised officers to beat looters rather than arrest them - and also with keeping price-gougers at bay after the hurricane.

"'Reuben told them to get the bleep out of Charleston,' said Riley, to chuckles from the crowd...."

I posted it here:

Remembering Chief Reuben Greenberg

The locals took him seriously.

If one wishes to live in a nation where shoot on site to protect property or the threat to property real or imagined, then expect the police to spend most of their lifes in fesr from the citizenrey...
Thrid world ****holes work like that
property before hunsn biengs....
Does no favour for the police...non at all..

If one wishes to live in a nation where shoot on site to protect property or the threat to property real or imagined, then expect the police to spend most of their lifes in fesr from the citizenrey...
Thrid world ****holes work like that
property before hunsn biengs....
Does no favour for the police...non at all..
Nobody got shot. The police at that time had a good relationship with the community. People felt safe.

Whats a price gouger?
It's a person who increases the price of disaster supplies and services after the event.. They know that people are desperate for the items, so they take advantage of them. After a hurricane, it would be such things as gasoline, power generators, tarps, food staples, drinking water, building supplies and tree removal.

Nobody got shot. The police at that time had a good relationship with the community. People felt safe.

I was commenting on the op...and the idea that shoot on site is a good thing.....which for a nation founded on freedom it isnt...
My opinion anyway...

It's a person who increases the price of disaster supplies and services after the event.. They know that people are desperate for the items, so they take advantage of them. After a hurricane, it would be such things as gasoline, power generators, tarps, food staples, drinking water, building supplies and tree removal.

down right criminals then

down right criminals then

In the hurricane aftermath, people wanted to loot because they don't know how to survive after the hurricane. They were desperate and don't know first thing about survival like the boy scouts or girl scouts with no means of having things that would make their life comfort to their beings.

They need electricity, water, food, and some things they need to keep warm and finding ways to shelter themselves. Those were desperate times.

I have never been in the disaster like tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, mudslides or any other disasters. It just hurt to our soul beings, I think. I can see their faces and their desperate not knowing what to do with their life. :(

As for Ferguson and Baltimore, there are other looters who are not protesters who are not doing like the looters.

In the hurricane aftermath, people wanted to loot because they don't know how to survive after the hurricane. They were desperate and don't know first thing about survival like the boy scouts or girl scouts with no means of having things that would make their life comfort to their beings.
Not true. Looting has nothing to do with survival.

Stealing TV's from stores in a city that has no electricity isn't going to help their survival.

Almost immediately, stations providing food, water, and supplies were set up. Neighbors helped each other.

They need electricity, water, food, and some things they need to keep warm and finding ways to shelter themselves. Those were desperate times.

I have never been in the disaster like tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, mudslides or any other disasters. It just hurt to our soul beings, I think. I can see their faces and their desperate not knowing what to do with their life. :(
Well, I did experience Hurricane Hugo, so I know what happened. No one had to loot for electricity, water or food.

There were a total of 35 Hurricane Hugo-related deaths for the state of South Carolina. That's tragic indeed but none could have been prevented by looting.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001495.htm

Reba is 100% correct!....Looters are scum bags...wanting something for nothing and taking advantage of the situation....And do I feel they should be shot on sight?....Yes, I do...they know they are breaking the law...Stealing.

Feel if business owners and home owners post that any Looters would be shot on sight...then there would have been very little looters and less damage to business owners and homes, even Churches....

Unbelievable that anybody would feel sympathy for Looters.

Well stealing is not right so whatever happenes is whatever happens ..

I believe that home owners and businesses have the right to use any means (within reason) to protect their property and lives... I do not agree with any aspect of military, government, or other agencies having the right to fire upon its own citizens for any reason other than an immediate threat to life.

[

Reba is 100% correct!....Looters are scum bags...wanting something for nothing and taking advantage of the situation..
ers.
You mean bankers right?

..And do I feel they should be shot on sight?....Yes, I do...they know they are breaking the law...Stealing.ers.
Since ahooting on sight most likely will resut in their death, and deprival of due process, you will never know whwt they wwre doing will you?

Re
Feel if business owners and home owners post that any Looters would be shot on sight...then there would have been very little looters and less damage to business owners and homes, even Churches....

Unbelievable that anybody would feel sympathy for Looters.

your nation was founded on looting, steaing others lands....whats good for the goose is good for the gander..they sign or is it one of those good for me and not for thee type of thngs?
Wink

I believe that home owners and businesses have the right to use any means (within reason) to protect their property and lives... I do not agree with any aspect of military, government, or other agencies having the right to fire upon its own citizens for any reason other than an immediate threat to life.

Thats preety well my tske. If its yours defend it how you see fit...the gov shouks not be given w go to shoot on sightperiod. Unless its to prevent a death or.ssve themseklves..killing for a t.v. wether by a thug or cops or solder is not a society worthy of its NAme
Its just an armed camp.
Do this or die..
For property..

Its good to be the winner isnt it?
But yeah
Rooling eyes at the victims of genocide wether native or jew seems to be the in thing these days...
Cool...
Anyway..
Back to the thread....

Thats preety well my tske. If its yours defend it how you see fit...the gov shouks not be given w go to shoot on sightperiod. Unless its to prevent a death or.ssve themseklves..killing for a t.v. wether by a thug or cops or solder is not a society worthy of its NAme
Its just an armed camp.
Do this or die..
For property..

Truth...

No,, Looter shouldn't get shot. Police need get up and catch them or leave them.
YES .....Unless they have trespassing shooting law.

Last edited:
So just shoot the mom looting for diapers, baby formula, etc because she ran out or did not have the means to purchase enough of those items prior to the natural disaster? Now the child, if it survives, grows up without a mother.... sounds like punishment fits the crime.

Back