You know you're a 70's kid if.......

i was born in early 70s but was little wild kid in middle and late 70s running around at night after sunset lol
i get little bit of freedom snickers

AND lot of cartoons on tv than it was today RME!!

I grew up as teenager during the 70's, graduated from hs in 1978. I remember:

-Bell bottoms pants/jeans
-Patched jeans from different kinds of denim fabrics
-Embroterried denim shirt with pictures like flowers, etc
-Low rider jeans with thick belt
-leather vest with long fringes
-Love beads
-Peace signs on necklace

Shows on tv:

-Patridge family
-Brandy Bunch
-Happy Days
-Love Boat
-Donny & Marie Osmond show
-Sonny & Cher

-I didn't have tty until 1975
-Captioned tv was on the tv news only and wasn't clear captioning.
-Movies weren't captioned, unless it was shown at school.
-Commercials on tv wasn't captioned.
-No pager for the deaf
-Deaf clubs were crowded. Deaf people visited each other in person instead of thru vp. There were no vp during 1970's for several decades.
-I had to ask my co-worker to call doctor for me. She would ask me what was the reason to call for appt? No privacy there. Thank goodness we now can call thru vp without having to ask a hearing person to call!
-Boys/men wore long hair and long sideburns.
-big bug eye glasses. The bigger it is, the cooler you are. (this was in '80's)
-Disco music was very popular.
-President Nixon was impeached in 1974 I think.
-Patricia Hearst kidnapping.

by golly, that's my kind of thread...I'm "Class of 1971" when it comes to being born :)

The 1970's remind me of:
Afros
Bell Bottoms pants n polyesters
big-ass cars before 1977. Chevy even had a 1976 Impala that was just as big as a 2008 Caddy Escalade. GM started shrinking their big cars in 1977 after the energy crisis.
Long lines at the gas stations in 1973. That was due to the Arabs getting so really pissed off at Israel for invading Egypt during the Yom Kippur War that they ended up cutting off oil to the Western World.
Star Wars and Jaws were my favorite movies during the '70's.
Disco Disco Disco.
Pet Rocks, anyone? lol
The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders outrocked the whole Cowboys team:) and they were hotter than Farrah for sure.

Ooohh that reminds me Thursday is going to be the premiere of "Life on Mars" in which a 2008 New York cop finds himself in 1973 New York. From what I have seen on commercials its gonna seriously rock! It will be on ABC tv. (in America not Australia)

I was a child of the 70s and remember the following:

Bulky VCR's that used to go "kerplunk!" when you depressed any of the buttons. :)

Tupperware

Olive green colored appliances (I don't know what olive green looks like, but I've been told it's a very ugly color. :))

Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls

Mr. Microphone

Handheld transistor radios

Playing "kick the can," marbles, tetherball or kickball as a kid on the school playground

Pop rocks candy

Chocolite candy bars (Mmm...They used to be my favorite!)

The death of Elvis in 1977.

President Nixon's famous quote, "I am not a crook."

Learning how to read via phonics.

Pixy Sticks

Camping/RVing with the family

Manual typewriters

Rotary dial phones

Calculators

rabbit's foot (Remember how we thought they brought us good luck?)

8-track tapes

You're a 70s kid if you remember them playing "Afternoon Delight" by the Starland Vocal Band ad nauseum on the radio in 1976.

You're a 70s kid if you remember playing with Legos.

You're a 70s kid if you remember 10-speed bicycles.

You're a 70s kid if you remember iron on T-shirt decals.

You're a 70s kid if you remember "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."

You're a 70s kid if you remember "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood."

You're a 70s kid if you remember shag carpeting.

I survived the 60s and 70s! Surely I missed 1960s and 1970's :(

We do not have computer games, internet, videos, DVD, cell phone, online chats........ - simple is we found friends from outside and play with neighbors children.

No baby/children safety seats, seat belts or air bags.

We spent all the day at outside than at home...

No microwave

I remember my Dad drank beer on the same time he driving...

I love rollskates, bicycle...

I remember my favorite TV
Bonic Woman
six million man
Bunny Bugs and Tom & Jerry Shows.
Dallas
Dynasty
David Cassidy and bunt family
Charlie Angels

My favorite superstars
David Cassidy
Osmond brothers especially Donny

I remember from copy Farrah Fawett's hair style in 70s during Charlie Angel... :giggle:

I wore mini skirt and mini dress... and also legging as well...

Good memory... *smile*

I will be back if I remember or one of you can fresh my memory...

Forget to add more...

The Bay City Rollers was my crazy fan... :giggle:

Shock and upset after learn the death of Elvis Presley... :(

TV series; Dr. Who

Lavender;1118785 * [B said:
no[/B] hot curler & blow dryer

No blow dryer? It exist in 1970s. I remember for use it to copy Farrah Fawett's hair style (Charlies Angel)...

What about KISS band group and Rolling Stone, too. ??

I been there along 1970... :)

You're a 70s kid if you remember console TVs.

You're a 70s kid if you remember "Hot Dog Day" at your elementary school.

You're a 70s kid if you remember eating McDonald's "Happy Meals."

No blow dryer? It exist in 1970s. I remember for use it to copy Farrah Fawett's hair style (Charlies Angel)...

:dunno: Sowwie, I don't really remember what year that was. I guess I never went out to store during time of year when I was in reschool, probably I was too young.

Last edited:
Nope, it was coffee cup! That guy was doing something, and put his coffee cup next to microwave transmitter, after a while doing something he grabbed that coffee cup, and drank it and was burnt in his mouth. He baffled why it got hotter than it was. So, he figured it must be microwave transmitter. Yes it was Microwave transmitter and it was intended for communications in the first place. He died from cancer, go figure..

Partly correct.

I believe the guy put his chocolate bar in his pocket while he was working next to a transmitter (experimental vacuum tube he was trying to invent) that was transmitting microwaves .. short short wavelength radio waves transmitted at super high frequencies. It may have been an active radio, but it wasn't radioactive. This was way back in like 1950 or something, and I don't think a tunnel was involved :)

Liebling is right, I didnt read whole thread however I am 70's kid for SURE!

I don't know if you remembered corded remote control for tv? It has only 5 or 6 buttons in itl On/off button, up and down channel and up and down volumel. That is it! The first advertising for wired remote control was that the customer would use scissorhand to reach any buttons on TV. I think it was funny back then.

I still remember .32 cent a gallon for gas, and never heard of unleaded gas to begin with, when I was in teen I heard unleaded gas being phase in. I also remembered gas crisis back in 70's

No microwave oven, no computer, TV dinner were made in aluminum foil tray! I also never heard of touch button telephone, all of the phone is dial type!

I missed roller skating, they are much fun!

Drive in restaurant, and theatre were everywhere... not anymore :(

Sure I missed 70's!

:shock:

no microwaves... i guess that i cant quick warm up on my foods in that decade. DAMN!

lol, just use stove and check if food is warm so enough then take it out, some of foods could be warm via cook in pan, such as beans, cheese and mac and others that contain sauce or liquid to support cook.

For tv dinner, use in stove, known as traditional method.

For me, I prefer to put tv dinner in stove due better taste and more completely cooked instead of little cold part in food that from microwave, direction isn't matters because it's not 100% to be done.

Liebling is right, I didnt read whole thread however I am 70's kid for SURE!

I don't know if you remembered corded remote control for tv? It has only 5 or 6 buttons in itl On/off button, up and down channel and up and down volumel. That is it! The first advertising for wired remote control was that the customer would use scissorhand to reach any buttons on TV. I think it was funny back then.

I still remember .32 cent a gallon for gas, and never heard of unleaded gas to begin with, when I was in teen I heard unleaded gas being phase in. I also remembered gas crisis back in 70's

No microwave oven, no computer, TV dinner were made in aluminum foil tray! I also never heard of touch button telephone, all of the phone is dial type!

I missed roller skating, they are much fun!

Drive in restaurant, and theatre were everywhere... not anymore :(

Sure I missed 70's!

Yup, I was remember from my parent who raised in 70's and share with them, I know about TV dinner in aluminum foil tray isn't safe for microwave, it can cause fire, yup, happened to me at few time, I was heat hamburger with foil then went fire up and had opened the door then pulled it out so quickly.

In 1970's, I remember about no cochlear implant in USA, severe to profound deaf people have wear strong BTE or bodyworn hearing aid, don't matters if little or no benefits and they have use sign language, however in some cases, they could learn to read the lips.

Is it true that 1970's car has poor emission regulation like low mpg, such as 10-15 mpg for economy car?

Skateboard and surf are become popular and mainstream in 1970's, there's film about happen at this time, Lords of Dogtown, in Southern California during mid to late 1970's.

K, I saw the 'you're a 90s kid' thread and I don't know if 70s was done yet, but thought I'd start a thread for it.

Here's a couple to start.

you know you're a 70's kid if:

You had an original GI Joe 'action figure' (He's not a doll!) :lol:
You had a Six Million Dollar Man 'action figure'.
You remember the TV show called 'Zoom' (I think there was a remake of this show in the 90s, but it didn't succeed)
You had Star Wars bubble gum cards (like baseball player cards).
You remember the actor Morgan Freeman being on the Electric Company kids tv show.

(I hope I'm not the only one)

:lol: You're not. I was born in the late 60s. I was a youngster in the 70s and a teen in the 80s. Go me! :laugh2:

Anyway, you're a 70s kid if:

Your favorite baby doll was Mrs Beasley.
You remember the Iranian Hostage take over
You remember Carter being President.

Back