WWIII has begin?

Asked how the United States should respond to the torpedo attack earlier this year by North Korea on a South Korean warship, in which 46 South Korean sailors were killed, only 27 percent said the United States should have joined in "punishing" the North. Sixty-six percent said that criticizing the North was adequate.

was that what you meant by not being assertive enough?

China key to restraining North Korea, U.S. officials say
Washington (CNN) -- Pressure from China would be key to getting North Korea to change its behavior, the top U.S. military official said Wednesday.

"I believe that it's really important that Beijing lead here," Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in an interview to air Sunday on CNN's "Fareed Zakaria GPS."

He added, "I've believed for some time that probably the country that can influence North Korea the most is clearly China."

China, Mullen said, has much at stake in stopping North Korea's leader Kim Jong Il from taking more provocative actions.

"It destabilizes the region, and China has as much to lose as anybody in that region with the continuation of this kind of behavior and what the potential might be," he said.
Like I said in my post #94 - US Ambassador Jon Huntsman said "...the American people, they need to understand is that China has five thousand years of history, cultural background and social experience."

was that what you meant by not being assertive enough?

no. that's whole another different topic. I was referring to multinational talks, not some finger-pointing thing.

In the past, my parents have told me that North Korea and South Korea wanted to reunite together but the Americans aren't letting it to happen because it would make Korea a superpower in that region... which means the Americans will have to leave thus significantly reducing the American dominance in that region. I thought that was silly but... look at Israel in middle of multiple hostile countries :dunno:

no. that's whole another different topic. I was referring to multinational talks, not some finger-pointing thing.

In the past, my parents have told me that North Korea and South Korea wanted to reunite together but the Americans aren't letting it to happen because it would make Korea a superpower in that region... which means the Americans will have to leave thus significantly reducing the American dominance in that region. I thought that was silly but... look at Israel in middle of multiple hostile countries :dunno:

I would be dumbfounded if my own government did not want Korea to re-unite.

I know for a fact we had a hand in the re-unification of Germany.

I would be dumbfounded if my own government did not want Korea to re-unite.
:lol: I know - I thought same but it's plausible. I still ridicule it anyway.

I know for a fact we had a hand in the re-unification of Germany.

Germany is not equal to Korea. Different time. Different reason.

What's for sure is that the Americans are required to pack up and leave the entire region once both Koreas are reunited. The Koreans will assume the "superpower leadership". It will be a threat to China as well.

North Korea = the military supremacy
South Korea = the economic supremacy
Combine them both = The Superpower in East Asia

What's for sure is that the Americans are required to pack up and leave the entire region once both Koreas are reunited. The Koreans will assume the "superpower leadership". It will be a threat to China as well.

It is just like someone to compare with USA and CSA in 1860's. :lol:

*CSA is Confederate States of America

I hope that happens.

Yes, Germany was a completely different ballgame except for just one very minor detail.

Communism.

The cultural differences between North and South Koreans after re-unification will be vast.

Yes, Germany was a completely different ballgame except for just one very minor detail.

Communism.

The cultural differences between North and South Koreans after re-unification will be vast.

cultural differences? we speak the same language and follow same customs & Chinese New Year.

it's the de-brainwashing process that will be complicated because the North Koreans have no idea what century they're in and what it's like. We'll manage.

cultural differences? we speak the same language and follow same customs & Chinese New Year.

it's the de-brainwashing process that will be complicated because the North Koreans have no idea what century they're in and what it's like. We'll manage.

Jiro, I was fortunate to become friends with a student from East Germany. She studied at Gallaudet briefly and was here on what would be comparable to the Fulbright Scholarship.

Even though the East Germans spoke the same language as the West, celebrated the same holidays and etc., there were major obstacles to overcome once Germany re-unified.

She would explain what these obstacles were in great detail. The main obstacle was overcoming what she called, "The need for money for everything."

She felt communism was a better form of government as everything you needed was provided for free. Medical care, food, shelter, etc.

Jiro, I was fortunate to become friends with a student from East Germany. She studied at Gallaudet briefly and was here on what would be comparable to the Fulbright Scholarship.

Even though the East Germans spoke the same language as the West, celebrated the same holidays and etc., there were major obstacles to overcome once Germany re-unified.

She would explain what these obstacles were in great detail. The main obstacle was overcoming what she called, "The need for money for everything."

She felt communism was a better form of government as everything you needed was provided for free. Medical care, food, shelter, etc.

The communism in East Germany is nothing comparable to North Korea.

Yes, I know that. More time has passed too.

no. they're not even the same.

North Korea is more of military dictatorship. "Communism" is just a convenient tool for dictator to sell to people and to forge alliance with Russian and Chinese.

it's all about $$$.

Yup ... and who has the most toys wins.

edit: I gotta ask a silly question. Have you ever considered that the only reason North Korea exists is to act as a buffer for China?

this was released an hour ago:

The cables unearthed new revelations about long-simmering nuclear trouble spots, detailing U.S., Israeli and Arab world fears of Iran's growing nuclear program, American concerns about Pakistan's atomic arsenal and U.S. discussions about a united Korean peninsula as a long-term solution to North Korean aggression.

U.S. in Damage Control After Vast Leak of Diplomatic Cables - FoxNews.com

Back