Wrestling with Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you're not.

Supposes that I am not learning ASL.

well I'm sorry if you felt it as a hostile question or whatsoever. You've never mentioned anything relating to ASL or communicating with a deafie as of late unless I'm wrong. Do please enlighten us if you wish.

Short for moderator--which is someone who moderates the forum if and when things get out of hand. Personal attacks and that sort of thing can happen from time to time.

<grin> Thank you for clarifying!

Teamint & Mrs Teamint: As you can see, even deaf people have their own soap opera issues.....

<soft smile> I think misunderstandings occur everywhere. <sad> And I am pleased to discuss ISSUES on this thread, but it would be great if we could all try to keep personal attacks against anyone to a minimum. They disrupt the heart of conversation and discourse. I understand that it can be difficult or scary to put your ideas out there for people; especially if they are ones that a number of people are going to disagree with. But, if we try to focus on the IDEAS as just that, I am sure we can have a great discussion!

There was some debate about ASL use earlier. I thought I understood the jist of it at first. At some point, though, there started being... ???inside jokes??? or something because I can't following it very well. Can someone capture what the conflict is for clueless me? Please?

And that is a problem? What is the proper way to make a first post?

You could try what I did... "Hi guys! I'm new. By the way, I don't understand ANYTHING here and it doesn't make sense to me and I am now going to proceed to stumble all over myself! Ta Ta!"

I don't know it its the PROPER way or not.... but... <shrug, mischievous teasing smile>

There was some debate about ASL use earlier. I thought I understood the jist of it at first. At some point, though, there started being... ???inside jokes??? or something because I can't following it very well. Can someone capture what the conflict is for clueless me? Please?

Typical bickering among some members here. You should have seen how bad it really was before a few members were banned.

You could try what I did... "Hi guys! I'm new. By the way, I don't understand ANYTHING here and it doesn't make sense to me and I am now going to proceed to stumble all over myself! Ta Ta!"

I don't know it its the PROPER way or not.... but... <shrug, mischievous teasing smile>

Check the post. It was not directed towards you. I quoted another member, and replied to that member.

The problem is, now that we have had a parting of the ways so to speak, that each forum isn't much more than an echo chamber now.....

The problem is, now that we have had a parting of the ways so to speak, that each forum isn't much more than an echo chamber now.....

I can't speak to both forums as I only participate in this one. However, AD doesn't strike me as an echo chamber. Part of why this forum might seem a little "slower" (can't think of a better word), is because there are less personal attacks and wars waged on members. Of course they still pop up now and then, but this forum is much more pleasant now. People disagree, but there seem to be less venomous posts and mud slinging.

Check the post. It was not directed towards you. I quoted another member, and replied to that member.

I am of the belief that you should treat others with kindness and respect. There are countless ways to make a first post. I think that it's in poor taste to insult people you've just encountered. Just my opinion though. To each their own :wave:

<turns head left> <turns head right> Wow. There seems to be a lot being said that I'm just not quite understanding... huh. Not even sure what I don't understand about what I don't understand. I'm having PTSD flashbacks of my high school calculus class...

I have a question for the masses:

The mother of "the boys" called a little while ago and amidst catching up on their lives she told me that it is her theory that the larger the concentration of folks with a lot of the same characteristics (whatever they may be) the more likely you are to see "the worst" that that group can offer.

Do you think that might be true? It made me pause because I wasn't sure... Maybe you can think of examples that show this? Or not?
When two people use the exact same mannerisms in their writing, it's usually a dead giveaway that they are the same person.

Yes, that is what you are doing.

Perhaps so, but I think the importance lies in the fact of those who are no longer here who had their own ideas of what AD ought to be and how some have tried to exert some control or influence over AD and its members. That failed miserably. It was like a mutiny gone bad on a row boat that never made it. That's the big difference nowadays when compared to the old days when you didn't see that happening back then. The seas are much more calmer and welcoming now.

A mutiny? funnymuch?

And "much more calmer and welcoming now" -- how ironic, coming from you -- and Grendel, CSign, TX, OceanBreeze, and Rockin Robin -- who totally trashed a welcoming thread to the point it had to be deleted -- the very kind of trashing you accused the rest of us of doing. ironymuch? Yes, I assume the mods still have the same complaint box, thanks to you guys. :wave:

A mutiny? funnymuch?

And "much more calmer and welcoming now" -- how ironic, coming from you -- and Grendel, CSign, TX, OceanBreeze, and Rockin Robin -- who totally trashed a welcoming thread to the point it had to be deleted -- the very kind of trashing you accused the rest of us of doing. ironymuch? Yes, I assume the mods still have the same complaint box, thanks to you guys. :wave:

Hush. You are interrupting a very important dialogue. Or monologue. The tension is at a snapping point. <soft smile, a glance at the clock>

A mutiny? funnymuch?

The rest of us? I'm talking about those who left. Besides, who said these quotes below?

"That's funny, because after these small number of members left, we haven't received much complaints about trolling, derailing of threads, etc."

And...

"They left because we tried to put a stop to these bullshit arguments. Some members did not heed to our warnings, so they got the boot."

Pretty much says it all.

Well. I don't feel that way about AD...dunno about the "other" Forum....Sure, it was kind of quiet at AD when all the banning went down.....but AD has rebounded....still some of the old members come by...guessing they miss us...or just to start something again.....

Do we really need the insults and hassles?...In my opinion, No....

Well. I don't feel that way about AD...dunno about the "other" Forum....Sure, it was kind of quiet at AD when all the banning went down.....but AD has rebounded....still some of the old members come by...guessing they miss us...or just to start something again.....

Do we really need the insults and hassles?...In my opinion, No....

I get what you are saying. All I'm saying is that it gets dull and quiet around here when almost all of us have the same or similar opinion on most things. That's pretty much happening over there, too.

I get what you are saying. All I'm saying is that it gets dull and quiet around here when almost all of us have the same or similar opinion on most things. That's pretty much happening over there, too.

Understood, Tousi...but honestly...would you rather be insulted time and time again for your opinion?....called names...etc.?....Not all of us are "thick-skinned"....and most of us have compassion and empathy...and there's no need at all for the insults and name-calling.....or the Drama!...There's much to be learned at AD...and having it to be a fun-filled and gleeming some knowledge is the best way to go....everyone benefits....And no one needs to be the "Top Banana", either!...Or being insulted for not going along with his/her opinions....

Understood, Tousi...but honestly...would you rather be insulted time and time again for your opinion?....called names...etc.?....Not all of us are "thick-skinned"....and most of us have compassion and empathy...and there's no need at all for the insults and name-calling.....or the Drama!...There's much to be learned at AD...and having it to be a fun-filled and gleeming some knowledge is the best way to go....everyone benefits....And no one needs to be the "Top Banana", either!...Or being insulted for not going along with his/her opinions....

:gpost:

well I'm sorry if you felt it as a hostile question or whatsoever. You've never mentioned anything relating to ASL or communicating with a deafie as of late unless I'm wrong. Do please enlighten us if you wish.

I didn't find your statement to be hostile.... You made an incorrect assumption.

I didn't find your statement to be hostile.... You made an incorrect assumption.

No. I asked you a question because you've never mentioned anything relating to ASL or communicating with a deafie as of late unless I'm wrong.

Now since I'm wrong, I'm delighted to know that you're learning ASL. Care to elaborate more on that if you wish to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back