Would a d/hh kid ever not have an IEP?

A It's basicly worship at the throne of "inclusion". :roll: Which is basicly a recipe for kids to fall through the cracks.

When I was doing teacher training we had a whole year of inclusion, inclusion, inclusion, and we had this massive conference with loads of "experts" in the field (interestingly, not including anyone from the "special" sector at all) and I asked my question to them - "Do they not think there is a danger that in all the legislation for inclusion there are some children who may not be well served by inclusion, and by demonsing solutions other than inclusion and enshrining solution in law as the best option we endanger services to those children, and overlook that some chidlren are better served by segregated environments?" They didn't even give me a single syllable of answer to that question. :shock:

I think that as soon as they heard the word "segregated" they heard "racist" - so much for them being highly qualified professionals, I got a lot of "hate mail" emails from people saying I should work for the Nazis.

I think any parent who want's a IEP done, may ask so. I had one done twice a year when I was in school.

Well - not true all the time. When I requested for it, they said they could not do it since I pulled my daughter from the school and "ruined" her by home schooling. Sorry, when I pulled her after they moved her to Kindergarten, she did not know her alphabet, could not talk, could not write,or any of the other things all of her classmates did. All she learned through 3 years in a ESCE Special Ed Pre-school within this public school was how to change diapers on a wheelchair bound child who is hooked up to a bunched of machines. By the time I returned her after 3 years, she was up to level with 2nd graders and she was going into the 3rd grade slightly behind. It was at that point that they told me that she was "unteachable and needs to be put into a special school or institutionalized".

r of inclusion, inclusion, inclusion, and we had this massive conference with loads of "experts" in the field (interestingly, not including anyone from the "special" sector at all) and I asked my question to them - "Do they not think there is a danger that in all the legislation for inclusion there are some children who may not be well served by inclusion, and by demonsing solutions other than inclusion and enshrining solution in law as the best option we endanger services to those children, and overlook that some chidlren are better served by segregated environments?" They didn't even give me a single syllable of answer to that question.

I think that as soon as they heard the word "segregated" they heard "racist" - so much for them being highly qualified professionals, I got a lot of "hate mail" emails from people saying I should work for the Nazis.
HA yes. The experts and teachers seem to think " OH NOES!!! SEGREGATION IS EVIL! No. It's specialized....On their level. With specialized education dhh kids learn skills of deafness, blind/low vision kids learn skills of blindness (all taught by trained certified teachers who've had more then five mintues about learning about low incidence disabilties) And yes, you're right. I have friends who are teachers, and when I mention the seperate ed/classroom option, they start yapping about "OH NO! It's SEGREGATED. What I don't get is that those very same teachers/experts are OK with seperate classes and schools for gifted kids. It's the same thing!

None of them fully understood inclusion anyway, they only understood "put the disabled child in a mainstream classroom". When asked a way to include a wheelchair user in a game of football EVERY student but me answered "Let them be the referee". When asked how to include a deaf pupil in a whispering game they were all totally stumped. When asked how to include a wheelchair user in a trip to a historic house with steps they all said take them to see as much as possible then bring them pictures of the rest.

My answers?
1. Come up with some adapted rules to allow the wheelchair user to hold the football on his knee and teach the kids how they are and aren't allowed to tackle in that variation of the game.
2. Don't play it at all, play something else that everyone can do.
3. Ditto - don't go there, go somewhere different.

This is what they don't get, rather than OMG how can we try to make the thing we had planned anyway become suitable for the person who can't join in and if we can't include them we'll exclude them, go back to the drawing board and re-plan. In deaf schools they don't play such games in the first place so no need to be sat out.

Worse is the "just this once" clause - oh, there are no captions on this video, will you manage just this once without? Your FM is broken and the TOD is not down the hall like she would be in the deaf school, she will be here in 2 weeks, can you manage "just this once" without - no! If you need something you need it. Can I manage "just this once" up the steps in my wheelchair? Um... What exactly are you meant to say as a kid, "no teacher, stop the whole class because I cannot partake"? Not going to happen, so they get away with it. Then they tell you that you "managed" last time (no, I just missed out) and do it again.

"Do they not think there is a danger that in all the legislation for inclusion there are some children who may not be well served by inclusion, and by demonsing solutions other than inclusion and enshrining solution in law as the best option we endanger services to those children, and overlook that some chidlren are better served by segregated environments?" They didn't even give me a single syllable of answer to that question. :shock:

sadly this the case most of the time that a segregated special placement that could if done right like at the school that lili attends would give the child a fuller life is demonized because it away from the gangster hip hop bs that goes on in "normal" school. Sorry I don't want my kids in with other students that dont give a sh!t. School is for learning not babysitting welfare payments.I live a really crappy neighborhood

as for the hate mail "better to be hated for what you are loved for what your not"

Well - not true all the time. When I requested for it, they said they could not do it since I pulled my daughter from the school and "ruined" her by home schooling. Sorry, when I pulled her after they moved her to Kindergarten, she did not know her alphabet, could not talk, could not write,or any of the other things all of her classmates did. By the time I returned her after 3 years, she was up to level with 2nd graders and she was going into the 3rd grade slightly behind. It was at that point that they told me that she was "unteachable and needs to be put into a special school or institutionalized".

Ok if being 12 months as your daughter was why isnt my flatmate's kid who is 12 months behind

"unteachable and needs to be put into a special school or institutionalized".

I guess I'm glad we don't live in Scotland. Is there anyone working on getting the rights of DHH students acknowledged? Is anyone working to change this that you know of? People need to start making a big stink over there in Scotland. It's not right for the students who are DHH to not access the curriculum and meet their potential. That makes me mad.

Although this has me thinking, DHH children in other countries probably have it worse off than those in Scotland.

None of them fully understood inclusion anyway, they only understood "put the disabled child in a mainstream classroom". When asked a way to include a wheelchair user in a game of football EVERY student but me answered "Let them be the referee". When asked how to include a deaf pupil in a whispering game they were all totally stumped. When asked how to include a wheelchair user in a trip to a historic house with steps they all said take them to see as much as possible then bring them pictures of the rest.

My answers?
1. Come up with some adapted rules to allow the wheelchair user to hold the football on his knee and teach the kids how they are and aren't allowed to tackle in that variation of the game.
2. Don't play it at all, play something else that everyone can do.
3. Ditto - don't go there, go somewhere different.

This is what they don't get, rather than OMG how can we try to make the thing we had planned anyway become suitable for the person who can't join in and if we can't include them we'll exclude them, go back to the drawing board and re-plan. In deaf schools they don't play such games in the first place so no need to be sat out.

Worse is the "just this once" clause - oh, there are no captions on this video, will you manage just this once without? Your FM is broken and the TOD is not down the hall like she would be in the deaf school, she will be here in 2 weeks, can you manage "just this once" without - no! If you need something you need it. Can I manage "just this once" up the steps in my wheelchair? Um... What exactly are you meant to say as a kid, "no teacher, stop the whole class because I cannot partake"? Not going to happen, so they get away with it. Then they tell you that you "managed" last time (no, I just missed out) and do it again.

Yes! There are other considerations, of course, but these issues --especially the "just this once" scenario that comes up far more than just once and the "managing" are something I just don't have to worry about at a deaf school. Everything is tailored for accessibility. Very much unlike life outside such a bespoke atmosphere, which may be a whole new issue of transition.

Well - not true all the time. When I requested for it, they said they could not do it since I pulled my daughter from the school and "ruined" her by home schooling. Sorry, when I pulled her after they moved her to Kindergarten, she did not know her alphabet, could not talk, could not write,or any of the other things all of her classmates did. All she learned through 3 years in a ESCE Special Ed Pre-school within this public school was how to change diapers on a wheelchair bound child who is hooked up to a bunched of machines. By the time I returned her after 3 years, she was up to level with 2nd graders and she was going into the 3rd grade slightly behind. It was at that point that they told me that she was "unteachable and needs to be put into a special school or institutionalized".

If a child falls under one or more of the 13 categories of eligibility they qualify for an IEP. If the SD does not provide one, they are out of compliance.

If a child falls under one or more of the 13 categories of eligibility they qualify for an IEP. If the SD does not provide one, they are out of compliance.

Exactly. Hence, the problems I had and there was nothing I could do at the time. I was too involved in making sure my kids got an education. I put all my effort into my children. Now, son is ready to take his GED and even though daughter has all kinds of issues and we dropped her out due to the learning disabilities and memory retention problems, she is happy and can function. She can read a recipe and cook a meal. She loves to help people and she is a true blessing for both me as well as others around her.

Exactly. Hence, the problems I had and there was nothing I could do at the time. I was too involved in making sure my kids got an education. I put all my effort into my children. Now, son is ready to take his GED and even though daughter has all kinds of issues and we dropped her out due to the learning disabilities and memory retention problems, she is happy and can function. She can read a recipe and cook a meal. She loves to help people and she is a true blessing for both me as well as others around her.

I remember reading some of the obstacles your daughter overcame. You did what needed to be done for her, while the education system failed her. I just want to be sure that anyone reading this thread with a child who has "special needs" understands that their child qualifies for an IEP. Sometimes it means you have to fight for what is right, and in other cases it means taking it on yourself.

Your daughter is lucky to have you, as you are lucky to have her in your life.

I'm so glad she has YOU as her teacher! :)

are something I just don't have to worry about at a deaf school. Everything is tailored for accessibility. Very much unlike life outside such a bespoke atmosphere, which may be a whole new issue of transition.
Exactly. You are very lucky and I'm glad you finally understand that there are HUGE differences between a deaf school and a mainstream placement. You'd prolly be fighting with your school system over accomodnations and stuff like that. Public schools really only want to give kids minimal accomondations

Back