Would a d/hh kid ever not have an IEP?

I was deaf/hh and as far as I can remember I never had an IEP but I did receive services for one year, but that was taken away because some other parents threw a fit saying I was getting too much attention compared to the other students.

It's a different system but here (Scotland, our local school district) we were told that kids must be bilaterally 60dB or more HL (doens't say if this is one frequency, all frequencies or averaged) and must wear two hearing aids or one or more CI to be considered for ANY support, including a TOD. My daughter is currently showing 55dB bilateral loss but stalling on hearig aids because tests are still underway and because her hearing fluctuates like mine and she's "too young" to tell us about this apparently so they "can't" fit her, so no support for her. Kids with profound loss who wear no hearing aids and no CI are also apparently not covered (would be bringing that one up as a human rights issue!) and also kids who are unilaterally deaf or who have only one aidable ear.

My daughter being pre-lingually HH with no amplification has worse practical hearing than a bilaterial CI user implanted pre-lingually who she went to the Deaf nursery with (she cannot go to school there, she won't get placed) and he will get full support and carry on at the Deaf school, she will be thrown in a classroom with instructions to sit at the front. Unreal.

:eek3: I'm sorry! That's just so wrong and unfair to your daughter.

It's a different system but here (Scotland, our local school district) we were told that kids must be bilaterally 60dB or more HL (doens't say if this is one frequency, all frequencies or averaged) and must wear two hearing aids or one or more CI to be considered for ANY support, including a TOD. My daughter is currently showing 55dB bilateral loss but stalling on hearig aids because tests are still underway and because her hearing fluctuates like mine and she's "too young" to tell us about this apparently so they "can't" fit her, so no support for her. Kids with profound loss who wear no hearing aids and no CI are also apparently not covered (would be bringing that one up as a human rights issue!) and also kids who are unilaterally deaf or who have only one aidable ear.

My daughter being pre-lingually HH with no amplification has worse practical hearing than a bilaterial CI user implanted pre-lingually who she went to the Deaf nursery with (she cannot go to school there, she won't get placed) and he will get full support and carry on at the Deaf school, she will be thrown in a classroom with instructions to sit at the front. Unreal.

Is this standard for everyone in your country?

Is this standard for everyone in your country?

No, it's city by city/county/unitary authority(!). Having had a highly desirable Deaf school on our doorstep for years the local mainstream is used to not having to deal with much. The Deaf school now belongs to a different authority and ours has decided that if you aren't "deaf enough" then there's no problem.

No, it's city by city/county/unitary authority(!). Having had a highly desirable Deaf school on our doorstep for years the local mainstream is used to not having to deal with much. The Deaf school now belongs to a different authority and ours has decided that if you aren't "deaf enough" then there's no problem.

That's awful. Regardless of the degree of hearing loss, it still has a tremendous impact on the individual. Does your daughter wear hearing aids?

If you were to move to a different part of Scotland would you be able to get her better services and placement?

OMG doesn't sound like things have changed all that much. I can tell you a horror story. I know someone who is hoh, from Scotland who did mainstream with minimal accomodations and she fell through the cracks majorly! Like she can't even write a coherent sentance, and never even got Resource Room/special ed services, and is basicly the poster child for educational neglect!

. I know someone who is hoh, from Scotland who did mainstream with minimal accomodations and she fell through the cracks majorly! Like she can't even write a coherent sentance, and never even got Resource Room/special ed services, and is basicly the poster child for educational neglect!

That would have been me if not for my ability in reading and teaching myself from text books. I was already out of the loop of what the rest of the class was doing, often ahead of the game, so they just put me in the corner with a book. The only blemish on my report card was "working in groups" which was conceptually beyond me due to years of isolation and inability to hear while several groups were discussing several things in the same room.

I got into an exam entry high school, which was almost a bad thing for me socially as if not I'd have gone to the school with the HI unit. From age 6 I was "failing" hearing tests but got told everything from "she'll grow out of it" to "she's making it up" - hearing aids at 13 but they said they couldn't realisitcally fit with analogues due to the difference in the loss over different frequencies so what I couldn't pick up with a dodgy FM I couldn't have and "sitting at the front" would cure all my ills. First digis in 2002 (already and adult) but still didn't realise I had dead regions so being able to respond to beeps at HF is not the same as being able to hear the content how others hear it. I've learned to read and write and add up, but learned nothing at all about interacting with people. Real shame.

I've learned to read and write and add up, but learned nothing at all about interacting with people. Real shame.
Ugh RoseRodent!!!!!! I FEEL for you! I thought I had a crappy education and horrible accomondations....but at least I got Resource Room (still wasn't enough) Sounds exactly like my friend. I think it's SO dumb that they lump hoh kids all in a group as needing minimal accomondations. My friend ALSO has crappy social skills and never had important social emotional development.
You know.....is there any research in the UK indicating that dhh kids who attend schools for the Deaf do better then those who are mainstreamed to the max? Also maybe find some research indicating that it's social emotional development that's important? I have to say I do not think that most mainstream schools can provide social emotional development for kids with disabilties.
You could argue that you want your daughter to learn to function both with and without her hearing aids. Maybe also take it to the press....have them do an article on it?

I'm trying to keep her in touch with deaf events and the Deaf school but it's a battle. It's very telling that there are several kids in the Deaf school whose parents are paying for it as a private placement at full fees. No idea how much that costs, but probably IRO £20k a year - how desperate must they be?

OK, just thought I would edit to expand this as I'm sure many don't really understand how placement works in the UK system. Get ready to have your head explode! I will compare for the most part to the US for the perceived majority audience.

Here what the US calls "Public schools" we call "state schools" - schools which are owned and run by a local authority education department (similar to US "school district").
A "public school" is an inexplicable thing but basically it's a private school as in you pay fees to go there and they are considered extremely posh.
A "private school" is pretty much the same thing as in the US.

Most authorities maintain a selection of "special needs" schools as state schools, but those are catch-all special schools, usually for children with multiple disabilities, severe learning disabilities and/or behavioural disabilities, major physical impairments and general medical needs that mainstream schools don't want to touch with a barge pole. These places are more expensive than other state placements but are still state placement and entry is by the local authority placing the child you have no actual rights to go there. Similarly for a mainstream school with a unit, which are few and far between here, there is no HI unit in this city at all.

The major specific impairment schools such as the blind and deaf schools are usually essentially private schools, but local authorities can, if they wish, choose to buy some of these places at the going rate. The authority is then responsible for fees, costs of getting the child to and from school and boarding if necessary, not just the cost of the educational place. It's all or nothing, so if they placed my child at the school they'd be responsible for transport every day too, and they don't want to do that - if I lived locally they may well place her, we considered moving but can't afford to. We cannot offer to pay part of the cost.

Because the school is still a private school, they can take any additional children they want to into the unfilled private places with parents paying full fees, so some parents do actually send their kids there. Funding at nursery level is allocated a certain amount per child and you can spend it wherever you choose to spend it, so I could choose for her to go to their nursery with my nursery funding, but at school level you have to go to the school where the authority allocates your school place, which is now to be a mainstream. I'm annoyed as her previous SLT was going to put her up for a place in a speech and language unit, which would probably have included other DHH kids but the new one is very mainstream-oriented. No supporting letter, no place in SLU. And in any case other kids in the SLU may have turned out to have different needs, it could have been all learning disabilities that year. Many people have had trouble getting the right placement from the start, they always start with the cheapest and work up. A friend with a son who has multiple difficulties didn't like the deaf school placement as the other kids were all developmentally normal but deaf, and another parent had the oppostie problem her son was the only one who was developmentally normal so he had no real peers. If only they could have swapped!

RoseRodent, that actually seems surprisingly similar to the arrangement we have in my area. In my daughter's case, the local school picks up the high cost ~$95k annually for tuition and transport to send her to a private school for the deaf. There are children with hearing loss who are placed in the local school, provided with variable support services, in some cases, slp or TOD pull outs, in other cases, aides and interpreters at their sides -- this tuition is covered by our taxes. If a student obtains such a placement and the parents cannot make the case to provide an alternative, the family can pay for private placement if the student is accepted by the school.

Yeah but Grendel, the big difference is that in Scotland they do the bare bones approach, if you mainstream....and I do not think that's a great placement for ANY dhh kid.
RoseRed, is there any way you could send your daughter to live with grandparents or something that might offer a bit more support?
t's very telling that there are several kids in the Deaf school whose parents are paying for it as a private placement at full fees. No idea how much that costs, but probably IRO £20k a year - how desperate must they be?
Doesn't surprise me.
Educational neglect is effing horrible some places.

I'm still on the IEP because i still need speech thearpy. And in my school area in order to have speech thearpy, you need to have an IEP, at least thats what i heard i think. They asked my parents if they wanted me to not be on the IEP at my last meeting, and my parents still wanted me to be on the IEP. Which is good because that way the school can't take advantage of me of having an interpreter, FM systems, captioning, etc.

Which is good because that way the school can't take advantage of me of having an interpreter, FM systems, captioning, etc.
Yes the IEP legally entitles you to accomondations. Unfortunatly a lot of times you need to be a disabilty rights lawyer to even figure out what good accomondations even are!

I did have an IEP growing up. However, the last three years of hs, I had a 504 plan because I was in a catholic school which did not an adapted gym program for me.

My daughter started out with an IEP, but after I pulled her for home school and then 3 years later returned her she did not get another IEP. She still had her speech issues and other issues, but the school told me that since she was receiving speech somewhere else and refused to wear her hearing aids, she did not qualify for any special services. Needless to say, she did not stay long in public school after that.

but the school told me that since she was receiving speech somewhere else and refused to wear her hearing aids, she did not qualify for any special services. Needless to say, she did not stay long in public school after that.
WHAT? And your daughter is more complicated then just hoh.

WHAT? And your daughter is more complicated then just hoh.

Yeah - she needed speech and occupational therapy as well as having special teacher for the learning disabled, but was refused since I was getting outside services for her speech.

she needed speech and occupational therapy as well as having special teacher for the learning disabled, but was refused since I was getting outside services for her speech.
Again, your story reinforces my belief that we really do need a contiunum of placement for ALL kinds of low incidence disabilties. I will say that the public school does do an OK job with educating LD and ADD kids.....and of course kids with physical disabilties, as well as kids who have disabilties who are basicly 504 Plan/ minimal accomondation kids.
That is a lot of kids there. But for kids who are dhh or blind/low vision or the type of disabled kid you'd see at an Easter Seals camp, they really don't get educated that well. It's basicly worship at the throne of "inclusion". :roll: Which is basicly a recipe for kids to fall through the cracks. After all, most special ed teachers don't generally have training in low incidence disabilties.

I think any parent who want's a IEP done, may ask so. I had one done twice a year when I was in school.

Back