Would a d/hh kid ever not have an IEP?

rivenoak

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was speaking with a TOD at DS's school about the transition to Kindergarten next year. She's not his teacher, I was just asking some general questions.

She asked if he would still have an IEP.

I was too surprised at the time to ask her, but why wouldn't he?

Are some d/hh kids going to public school and not having an IEP when they did previously?

TIA

PS-I have the MET this week. I don't know if I should be prepared for a fight or not. I know where I want him placed, but...

Even a child who attends speech for a stutter, or a child who does occupational therapy to help with a weak pencil grip, have an IEP. At least around here. If they are receiving specialized services. We have a 4th grade HH girl who is oral only and does NOT have an IEP but she does not receive special services either. All of the Deaf Ed kids here have IEPs.

He will still have an IEP. Odd that his TOD wasn't aware of that...

Nope, not always. If the child is on grade level, does not need accommodations or modifications, then there's no need for special education services. It's rare, but possible. Just having a disability isn't enough. The committee must determine that the disability adversely affects progress with the general curriculum.

Also, the child might have a 504 Plan instead of an IEP, especially if the child is on grade level and just need accommodations (such as a sign language interpreter and access to CC on TV)...

I was speaking with a TOD at DS's school about the transition to Kindergarten next year. She's not his teacher, I was just asking some general questions.

She asked if he would still have an IEP.

I was too surprised at the time to ask her, but why wouldn't he?

Are some d/hh kids going to public school and not having an IEP when they did previously?

TIA

PS-I have the MET this week. I don't know if I should be prepared for a fight or not. I know where I want him placed, but...

Yes, my daughter has the option of moving to a 504 plan and ditching the IEP next year. We're opting not to take that approach, but many do.

Even a child who attends speech for a stutter, or a child who does occupational therapy to help with a weak pencil grip, have an IEP. At least around here. If they are receiving specialized services. We have a 4th grade HH girl who is oral only and does NOT have an IEP but she does not receive special services either. All of the Deaf Ed kids here have IEPs.

Not necessarily. My nephew has had speech services since he was in kindergarten and has NEVER been on an IEP. FWIW, he is hearing, but has had speech difficulties since the age of 3.

A 504 plan provides for access to an education, but does not Provide all the protections/ rights afforded to students and parents under IDEA.

To qualify for an IEP there are 13 categories of eligibility.
Section 300.8 Child with a disability (subpart A under IDEA, if I get a chance I'll try to find it online and post a link)
(2)deaf-blindness
(3)deafness
(5)hearing impairment

If parents choose to go with a 504 plan because the district is encouraging them, they are giving up rights and protections that are crucial in ensuring appropriate and full access to their educational environment. You are not guaranteed an interpreter, or other specialized services and equipment under a 504 Plan. A 504 plan also does not require a written document which can leave the administration etc. In a position where they are not aware of the Childs needs.

An IEP requires a clearly written document which focuses on the unique needs of the student, designed in a way for the student to benefit from the curriculum.

Contrary to what some school districts and professionals say, even if your child is doing exceptionally well they still qualify for Sp Ed and related services so they may continue benefitting from their educational experience.

If the child is on grade level, does not need accommodations or modifications, then there's no need for special education services. It's rare, but possible. Just having a disability isn't enough.
Yes, the 504 Plan, which is what they offer for kids who have issues like diabetes or very mild issues.
I think it's best to have an IEP. An IEP isn't just for kids who have delays. A student can be a high acheiver and be in AP classes and Harvard bound, but still need an IEP for accessing the curriculum or for accomondations.

He will still have an IEP. Odd that his TOD wasn't aware of that...

She's not his TOD, but I still thought it was odd.

He's bi-laterally hh & wears hearing aids. He had delayed speech (but signed), still doesn't have typical speech, but seems otherwise on the level of other 5 year olds.

However, what Kindergarten has in store for him, I don't know. The district audi is already talking about getting an FM system for him; he hasn't seemed to need one before, but he's been in small classes where they do lots of circle time & have 3 adults in the room at all times.

he district audi is already talking about getting an FM system for him; he hasn't seemed to need one before, but he's been in small classes where they do lots of circle time & have 3 adults in the room at all times.
He might need one, but might not. I hate hate hate how the kneejerk response (for hoh accomondations) is FM device. Experiment with it. He may like it, but he might not even need it.

A mainstream kindergarten classroom is very different from a small specialized placement with a high teacher to student ratio. It will be a whole new experience for him, and most likely the FM will be very beneficial.

Both plans offer protection and are supposed to address equal access, but like other posters mentioned, an IEP gives you more legal ground.

If he has speech delays, he'd qualify for an IEP. Some parents want a 504 instead of an IEP because there's this "once you're SPED, you're always SPED and you won't get quality material" fear. For some, that's perfectly legitimate, but for your son, it sounds like he needs an IEP.

Speech delay + d/hh = IEP

:)

Exceptional Student Services: Parent Information Network -- should help. Also there's a dispute resolution office...yeah, don't sign anything you're not happy with. And if worst comes to worst, reschedule your meeting if you need more time.

Both plans offer protection and are supposed to address equal access, but like other posters mentioned, an IEP gives you more legal ground.

If he has speech delays, he'd qualify for an IEP. Some parents want a 504 instead of an IEP because there's this "once you're SPED, you're always SPED and you won't get quality material" fear. For some, that's perfectly legitimate, but for your son, it sounds like he needs an IEP.

Speech delay + d/hh = IEP

:)

Exceptional Student Services: Parent Information Network -- should help. Also there's a dispute resolution office...yeah, don't sign anything you're not happy with. And if worst comes to worst, reschedule your meeting if you need more time.

He didn't really speak until he was 3, so yes to a speech delay.

I think I can flounder through this meeting. I'm trying to be accomodating because the DeafEd coordintor is due to go out on maternity leave any minute. I want to try to do this MET while we can get her input.

<sigh>

I will keep looking thru the websites provided. Someone I know at work gave me the name of the person I need to contact at ACDHH, so I'll email her later.

Thank you again to everyone who is responding. I'm feeling not quite so freaked out now.

Some parents want a 504 instead of an IEP because there's this "once you're SPED, you're always SPED and you won't get quality material" fear.
I think there needs to be some kind of IEP specificly for kids who have low incidence disabilties, but who don't nessarily have Resource Room style delays.

Back