why people extend stay at Gally?

Maybe I didnt make myself clear...I am talking about the "career" students who dont even try to pass their classes due to partying all the time. I remember meeting one guy like that. I enrolled at Gallaudet in Spring of 2000 and met the guy. He had been a student since 1996 and hasnt declared his major yet. He had excellent English skills and everything but just partied all the time and kept on changing his major. When I graduated in 2002, he still hadnt declared his major yet and was 31 years old still partying with the 18, 19 and 20 year olds. Those are the kind of people I am referring to...go to Gallaudet and just play around and waste the taxpayer's money.
yeah I have met few so would you by any chance know a guy that had a crew cut hair with tail? He has been ntid student long time but he also attended gallaudet as well. I saw him again after I graduated from ntid. he told me "career" student I am like ah.. (I forgot his name bummer)

Even after they got their degrees... but they still stay at Gally.

Can't speak for them or anyone else for that matter as it'd be, shall we say, baseless speculation. :)

Was an erstwhile Gally student, and entered as a Freshman although I had to take one prep class in Algebra. Didn't return after my Sophomore year. In retrospect, Gally was geared more towards students becoming deaf teachers, counselors, administrators, and other deaf-related fields which didn't do anything for me.

FWIW, was in hearie public schools through the 8th grade, at deaf school for next 3 years then hearie private school a year before entering Gally at age 17 although I passed the entrance exams at 16.

There were many bright students from all over the country and elsewhere who were great friends, and others I'd just as soon forget. ;)

I would expect that the job market at and near Gally would be more promising for deaf students/graduates than elsewhere. The strong, intellectual deaf culture, the social lifestyle as well as the generally higher form of communication skillsets represents a powerful magnet lacking elsewhere.

Some deaf people can function very well in a hearie world while others can't. Attitude and a sense of humor makes it far easier as long as they don't take their deafness too seriously or personally. We're humans first, and deafies second (or hard of hearies for that matter).

I believe, however, that most deaf will have greater job security at government jobs than in the private sector where there's nothing to prevent companies from axing thousands of employees from their payrolls.

That said, I didn't care much for that region nor the climate (too humid in summer, cold and ugly winters) as a permanent home compared to Northern California. Gally was, at that time, a mostly white college fortress surrounded by a black community.

We have to keep in mind that everyone is different with their own priorities, lifestyles, needs, wants, and blah-blub-bub-bub so it's YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) and all that rot when it comes to staying at Gally for eons. If they're happy there then that's all that counts AFAIC.

HTH,

diebiker - uniter? is someone who want everybody to be together, Black, White, Male, Female, hearing, deaf.... and that include Jane.
But the protesters are more like Divider, they keep hearing and "not deaf enough" people away. I don't need a shrink, you need a dictionary.:cool2:

shel - right, "career" students... If the government stop all SSI and
VR provided to deaf people, then there would be no "career" students.
They would all and study twice as hard, hurry up and not party, and
get their degrees within 4 years... Deaf person can get a job faster than
hearing person can.

sillycat - When I went to Gally I had to take Prep English... and I found
out a way to get out of there faster.... Gallaudet and NTID won't tell
anyone... the secret is, go ahead and take the English test...
The reason why many deaf people failed, is because they didn't study
hard enough, they party all the time, and sign ASL which goofed up
people's english.

deafskeptic - need to go math tutor, that what I did to pass Math...
math tutor is very helpful... even english tutor.

Vamp - yeah... Deaf world is just a small community.... Career students are like Crabs in the bucket... they pulled themselves down and are bad
influence to all Deaf people who want to succeed.

Nesmuth - yeah some deaf people don't want cochlear implants and won't try
to make their lives simple.... just like some Black people who stay in
the Ghetto, stay poor, the reason why Black people stay in the Ghetto because they got Slave mentality... they think the White people hold them down.... Gallaudet is a big Gally Ghetto.

farewell - I think all Deaf people deserve a better life... I feel if I climb
up the ladder, I am leaving some deaf people behind, and I want them to
come on, lets all achieve.

Boult - yeah, that guy is bringing himself down.

Grumbler - You can't depend on people and Gallaudet, you gotta step up....
Deaf people gotta step up, if they want something, then work hard for it...
Instead of wasting time whiney and writing Blog or reading someone Blog
and complaining and all... You gotta get off your (Moon) and go after
what you want... That what I should do... :P , right DieHard?

diebiker - uniter? is someone who want everybody to be together, Black, White, Male, Female, hearing, deaf.... and that include Jane.
But the protesters are more like Divider, they keep hearing and "not deaf enough" people away. I don't need a shrink, you need a dictionary.:cool2:

hearing person can.

people's english.

Vamp - yeah... Deaf world is just a small community.... Career students are like Crabs in the bucket... they pulled themselves down and are bad

the Ghetto, stay poor, the reason why Black people stay in the Ghetto because they got Slave mentality... they think the White people hold them down.... Gallaudet is a big Gally Ghetto.

Whatever...

Theyre addicted to dependence. Dependency is one of the treasured benchmarks of deaf culture. Thats why they fought tooth and toenail to kick Jane out because she was society's best shot at the independence of the deaf communities.

Richard
Yep!

That's why a lot of students here at NTID end up leaving school. They become too dependent on their parents that when they come here, they become too homesick and end up going back home. I remember one year where the Leave of Absence rate was 60%. I think this was in 1997 or 1998.

Theyre addicted to dependence. Dependency is one of the treasured benchmarks of deaf culture. Thats why they fought tooth and toenail to kick Jane out because she was society's best shot at the independence of the deaf communities.

Richard

Jane was "society's best shot"? I fear for society if that's the best they can find.

yeah I have met few so would you by any chance know a guy that had a crew cut hair with tail? He has been ntid student long time but he also attended gallaudet as well. I saw him again after I graduated from ntid. he told me "career" student I am like ah.. (I forgot his name bummer)

I would rather not name names but no, he never went to NTID. He finally dropped out of Galluadet about 2 years ago...so that made his "career" a total of 8 years without ever declaring a major. What bothers me about this is that VR continued to support him and believed all his BS stories. What I saw was all about partying and whoring around. LOL

I would rather not name names but no, he never went to NTID. He finally dropped out of Galluadet about 2 years ago...so that made his "career" a total of 8 years without ever declaring a major. What bothers me about this is that VR continued to support him and believed all his BS stories. What I saw was all about partying and whoring around. LOL
Yep, that makes more sense. They probably felt that Jane was going to make the college more educational and less party-some. ;)

they are being lazy and too scared to break out of their shells.

Agree 100%. Some people find their comfort level and decide that's where they're happy and don't want/need something better or change. I did one year at Gally, hated it because of the people, and was happy to leave and finish at a public university. Gally had great courses/professors, but the students and apathetic attitudes were horrible.

Well if VR finally give up on Career Student, where will they go? Back home
anyway. 10 years later, If I hear about someone still staying at Gally, then
I gonna rant about it.

Speaking of Student with bad Attitude, all you have to do is tell them to
kiss your *a^*^

hearing person can.

people's english.

Wow... You are totally ignorant person. :roll:

alright, then different person..

How about if you ask them directly? That way you would get the answer from them instead of from other people's opinions that aren't in Gallaudet.

I second that!! ....If we really want to know, it would be better to get it from the students themseleves at Gallaudet instead of assume why they're still there..

I second that!! ....If we really want to know, it would be better to get it from the students themseleves at Gallaudet instead of assume why they're still there..

I agree with Angel and Peachy Lady! Go ask them yourself.

Hmm, I think a few issues were lumped in this thread, but I'll focus on this point that quality is better than quantity in the long run and short run. :)

Who cares about how long it takes to finish one's education? We never stop learning even out of the college.. Gallaudet, NTID, RIT, CSUN, etc etc etc. I think it is a serious mistake to put a time limit on one's learning process. It's better than stopping learning, right? To stop learning by choice, that means serious trouble for that individual IMO - and you can see the symptoms such as arrogance combined with other negative behavior or belief ;)... except in special cases where mental illness can prevent one's growth/learning in some ways which can't be helped in a very sad way though.

Hmm, I finished Gallaudet in 4 years but I remember my motives being entirely financial for this rather than adding a year to it. I could have done better with my studies with a little extra time, because I spent so much of my time with multiple part time jobs at the same time and worrying about the remedial math course. What I did to finish Gallaudet in 4 years wasn't healthy at all. Gallaudet as the partying university being the sole reason for all students to stay there longer, my azz. :) It's really worth the effort and time to complete one's education in however manner chosen at any university or college, and this applies to Gallaudet. With MA or PhD, the students just have a better chance at having higher salaries in the "real world." I guess some people would see that as a worthy endeavor.

why you didn't have VR to help pay for your education? Why you
have to work to pay off your tuition?

When I was at Gallaudet, I didn't have to worry about paying for
education, because I had VR to help me out financially...

I did not go out and socialize, and I didn't study.

I spent most of my time at the dorm room and going to classes,
that was it, because I am not a people's person.

why you didn't have VR to help pay for your education? Why you
have to work to pay off your tuition?

When I was at Gallaudet, I didn't have to worry about paying for
education, because I had VR to help me out financially...

I did not go out and socialize, and I didn't study.

I spent most of my time at the dorm room and going to classes,
that was it, because I am not a people's person.

It sounds like you tried the college thing and discovered that it wasnt for you?

Liza, I agree with you about who cares how long it takes to finish education. I was referring to the ones who stay at college for the purpose of partying and finding excuses why they couldnt pass their classes. If people stay long because they are struggling with their studies and not give up, I applaud them. Those who neglect to study and refuse to realize that college is not for them are the ones that dont sit well with me cuz they waste taxpayer's money.

I went to college because people keep saying, oh how great it is
to go college and get a degree and you can get great jobs... blah blah blah.

That is a lie...

I went to college because people keep saying, oh how great it is
to go college and get a degree and you can get great jobs... blah blah blah.

That is a lie...

No it is not a lie. The jobs don't just fall down from heaven. You got to take the initiative and get out there and find the job you want.

No it is not a lie. The jobs don't just fall down from heaven. You got to take the initiative and get out there and find the job you want.

You don't have to go to College to go after what you want.

Tyra Banks doesn't have get a college degree to get a talk show.
Ellen Degeneres doesn't have get a college degree to get a talk show.

Oprah didn't have to get a college degree to have a talk show.

College is just something that slow people down, listening to some
professional for hours and read "How to be" books...

When you could done that at home and read "How to be" books.

Bill Gates didn't need a college degree...

Michael Jackson didn't need college degree to get job.

If you want something, go out there and get it now.

If you want an office job, start working as a secretary and work yourself
up til you're CEO or something.

Just like my StepDad, he worked worked worked, and then became
Supervisor.

College is just a WASTE OF TIME.

Mr. Walt Disney didn't even have to go to ART School, just have to
go out there and DO IT!!!

Back