Why is Starbucks' sign the way it is?

Well, I do not know the answer on who invented that starbucks sign and do not know why we have to flick our middle fingers against each other. I just picked that up from my friends in the past.

I've never thought about the sign for Macca's until now. (Thank you JClarke - you've got me calling McDonald's Macca's now, LOL)

So which sign is the 'official' sign for Macca's? The 'M' handshape or the Ronald McDonald one?

As for Starbucks, I've seen it done JClarke's way more often than I've seen the other way I described earlier in this thread. I'm not that great at describing signs. :dizzy:

Last edited:
I've never thought about the sign for Macca's until now. (Thank you JClarke - you've got me calling McDonald's Macca's now, LOL)

So which sign is the 'official' sign for Macca's? The 'M' handshape or the Ronald McDonald one?

As for Starbucks, I've seen it done JClarke's way more often than I've seen the other way I described earlier in this thread. I'm not that great at describing signs. :dizzy:

Would it work to post a picture instead? I don't sign so don't know how practical that would be.

Last edited:
None of the signs have dollar signs included. :roll:

Correct, none of the Starbucks signs have the dollar sign incorporated into it anywhere.

But, I downloaded an ASL Dictionary app from iTunes for heck of it and the sign for Macca's in it is an 'M' handshape tapped on the other hand followed by a 'D' handshape. Has anyone ever seen this? I haven't. I hope it's not just some BS made up sign.

Correct, none of the Starbucks signs have the dollar sign incorporated into it anywhere.

But, I downloaded an ASL Dictionary app from iTunes for heck of it and the sign for Macca's in it is an 'M' handshape tapped on the other hand followed by a 'D' handshape. Has anyone ever seen this? I haven't. I hope it's not just some BS made up sign.
Unfortunately, it is one of the localized signs.
A friend of mine from indianapolis, showed me this and also it can apply similar across the mouth.

Back