why did many gallaudet students do not care when someone had emergency or incident?

Not worth to ask student that need ride to the ER or something.
Why not call campus police/security, Nurse and dorm's RA (Resident Assistant) at gally. They will do give you ride to the hospital.

Most people has less than 10 best friends at Gally or NTID. You can't have +100 best friends at Gally or NTID.

- Big different between NTID/RIT and Gally campus.
- scare to go outside from Gally campus at night time vs Rochester is safe place.
- bad traffic/parking in DC - not like Rochester, NY
- confuse which near hospital at DC. We know where is Strong Hospital in Rochester.
That's the common problem at NTID. A lot of people have a thousand "best friends".

I've gotten MySpace and Facebook requests from people who consider me their friend simply because they saw me in the hallway and said "hi" to me. :roll:

*looks at Facebook*

"Hmm, I've got a friend request. I wonder who?"

*looks at friend request*

*thinking* "Hmm... who's that guy? I think I've seen him around before."

*clicks 'Send Message'*

"Hey, do I know you?"

"Yeah, I said 'hi' to you a month ago when we passed each other in the hallway. You said 'hi' back, so we're now friends."

*clicks 'Ignore'*

Anyways, as for campus safety... you're right. It's usually best to let them handle it instead of trying to handle it yourself. When you try to do it yourself and something goes wrong, you could get in trouble. When I was a RA, I had to handle with these situations a few times. :roll:

Yeaaah, I agree with you.
My hubby went to Gallaudet, so he told me how is look with the students in the Gallaudet?
many students don't have own a car. that is problem!!! and he said, yes every students didn't help much to another students, if they get a sick. How sad!! Sorry, I don't understand. I think the same equal with Deaf is Deaf and Hoh is hoh.

to me in Germany. I was learning with my education Mechanical engineering for deaf education (BBW Winnenden) in Stuttgart about 3 1/2yrs. my friends helped too much and support very good.

DC, that's where Gallaudet is located, they has great public transportation and don't need bring car to here.

Don't own the car isn't problem, look at large cities and there's many people don't own car for some reason, such as high gas price and high insurance rate.

My friend got sprained ankle one nite and I called for help. They came and I was with her the whole time and ride in the ambulance with her. Luckly my mom and aunt was there that nite and they went out to eat. When they got back. My other friend went with them to pick us up at the hospital.

But if they werent there then we would be in trouble cuz I have no idea where the hospital is and never been there.

If I have known there was a bus route then I would take it.

There are people like that at NTID too.

If you see it happen, then why don't you help out yourself. It will make you look good and others look bad.

I've been in similar situations myself where something happens and no one does anything. I do.

There are people like that everywhere. It isn't just a Gally or NTID phenomemenon.

DC, that's where Gallaudet is located, they has great public transportation and don't need bring car to here.

DITTO!

D.C. has one of the best subway systems in the world and also excellent transit bus services. Last fall, my friends and I visited Gallaudet University that I had not gone for ten years. D.C.'s reputation for having excellent subway and transit bus systems remained unchanged and unshakeable. That is why not many students at Gally drive cars.

Well the board does offer some anonymity.....

Well, I am sure that some PKZ sisters are lurking this forum. Whenever this thread mentions their sorority and details about the situation, she will be dealt in private.

Well, I am sure that some PKZ sisters are lurking this forum. Whenever this thread mentions their sorority and details about the situation, she will be dealt in private.

Who are the PKZ sisters?

Do not blame gally/ntid students.

If, you live in dorm at gallaudent/RIT campus. All Resident Assistant and campus security/police must duty to help any sick or injury student & staffs.

That's sad... many students did ask wrong people - need a ride.
They did not ask for Resident Assistant or Resident Office or campus security/police. If, you can walk - visit at nurse room at campus. They will see patient before go to the hospital or treat on campus.

Do not blame gally/ntid students.

If, you live in dorm at gallaudent/RIT campus. All Resident Assistant and campus security/police must duty to help any sick or injury student & staffs.

That's sad... many students did ask wrong people - need a ride.
They did not ask for Resident Assistant or Resident Office or campus security/police. If, you can walk - visit at nurse room at campus. They will see patient before go to the hospital or treat on campus.

Right.

I used to work as RA at one of the dorm halls on the Gally campus and I did it several times.

Whenever the incident which requires the attention of campus police and D.C. Paramedics, they will be called to come to attend and take care of it.

*See my on-topic in red
*looks at Facebook*

Shew - thank God I created a wholly separate Facebook account solely for the deafies in May 2007.

I now have 382 hearing friends/477 wall posts and 95 deaf friends/51 wall posts.

I even had a deaf friend ask me why he hasn't, and I quote him, "seen hearing people post on your wall". My reply? "Don't worry abt it; I have plenty of hearing friends in the universities (yes, more than 1 - I transferred) I attend, thank you very much." He gulped and didn't say anything more - I think he still didn't know that I already have a separate FB account. *snickers*

Inside my head, he doesn't need to know what friends I have on the hearing side of my Facebook (the 382-friends part) as I felt that it's not his business.

When someone ask me such an intrusive question regarding my social class or my sexuality, I manage to tell him/her an extremely (and deliberately) ambiguous answer - like what I said to that deaf friend, or [answer their question WITH a question and have them answer that with myself ending up with "There ya go"] or tell him/her bluntly that it's not their business.

Anyway, now back on topic, there are plenty of emergency transportations - use them. Don't just stand around idly.

Last edited:
DITTO!

D.C. has one of the best subway systems in the world and also excellent transit bus services. Last fall, my friends and I visited Gallaudet University that I had not gone for ten years. D.C.'s reputation for having excellent subway and transit bus systems remained unchanged and unshakeable. That is why not many students at Gally drive cars.

Yup, that's so unbelieve about sunshinelady thought students or everyone need get car to around, now, it's not cheap to own car due high gas price and high insurance rate, especially for under 25.

Gally students can go to Six Flags in PGC (Prince George County) without car, just ride on train then transfer to bus to Six Flags in PGC.

#1 - Do you know sick person has health insurance? Which the hospital will accept health insurance? Will blame your friend pick wrong hospital? Will your friend accept to sit waiting room for 7 hours?

Last winter, my son's girlfriend got serious sick. Went to ER at the hospital at 7pm. She does not have health insurance. Doctor found out that she got Pneumonia. Got out from the hospital at 4am.
Two months later, she got billing $7,000!!! She is very upset!! Right now, she does not have any health insurance - part time job does not offer benefit.

#2 - If, anyone accept to take sick person to the hospital. Sick person vomit in his/her car. Who will clean vomit in his/her car?

+10 years ago, I was going to pick my wife up after surgery her shoulder. My mom wanted to take her in my mom's car. I drove my Mercedes-Benz home. My wife vomited in my mom's car.

That's why - let Resident Assistant/campus nurse/campus police will take care for serious sick or injury.

Yup, that's so unbelieve about sunshinelady thought students or everyone need get car to around, now, it's not cheap to own car due high gas price and high insurance rate, especially for under 25.

Gally students can go to Six Flags in PGC (Prince George County) without car, just ride on train then transfer to bus to Six Flags in PGC.

Exactly!

PGC got Six Flags?! :shock: It was non existent at my time as Gally student.

#1 - Do you know sick person has health insurance? Which the hospital will accept health insurance? Will blame your friend pick wrong hospital? Will your friend accept to sit waiting room for 7 hours?

Last winter, my son's girlfriend got serious sick. Went to ER at the hospital at 7pm. She does not have health insurance. Doctor found out that she got Pneumonia. Got out from the hospital at 4am.
Two months later, she got billing $7,000!!! She is very upset!! Right now, she does not have any health insurance - part time job does not offer benefit.

#2 - If, anyone accept to take sick person to the hospital. Sick person vomit in his/her car. Who will clean vomit in his/her car?

+10 years ago, I was going to pick my wife up after surgery her shoulder. My mom wanted to take her in my mom's car. I drove my Mercedes-Benz home. My wife vomited in my mom's car.

That's why - let Resident Assistant/campus nurse/campus police will take care for serious sick or injury.

The Gally students are required to carry health insurance card when they attend Gally. I used Lone Star Health Insurance card that the Students Health Services directed me to apply for when I was Freshman. The Lone Star Health insurance offered a great coverage and they paid about 80 percent of medical and drug costs. :)

Nat84, I am sorry to tell you that I do not buy what you have said about your situation.

Just because your experience was better than Nat84's it doesn't mean he's full of it. You've said the same thing to me when you refused to believe that most Gallaudet deaf students don't tip when there was an article about it.

I was wondering I am concerned why so many gallaudet students do not care about their friend or know someone who had emergency by accident or illness or any incident?

I am sick of some people at Gallaudet that I wanna to piss off like do at my PKZ sisters who did not respect others of their friend. Like one time, someone got sick, need ride to hospital, no one take care of him, he is one who best friend from my sister give him fakely all the time. It is sad, how it happens, how can you solve problem with friend if she or he do not care?

First of all is Good Venting!

I'm total speechless after read the whole thread here after your first post which is really sad.

I began notice many negative threads over Gallaudet. I really don't know what should I say...

All what I want to say is try to solve something positive than rely students... when you know they don't care.

Back