why deaf films failed?

Foreign countries have a different system. For example, in India, they have to get an approval from the government for their own business. It takes many months for the approval.

Here is different. It is tricky because too many film-makers want to start up. My teacher never mention about starting own a video business. I think that the teachers cannot talk about it unless the students are interested in working for a big company. All I know that some film maker owners can be very mean to their employees.

I have noticed that many foreign people came in the U.S. to become a famous movie star and film makers. Even, a Google president is from other country. That's something suspicion.

It does not mean that deaf film makers are failed. It's because many deaf people are on welfare. Most people rather to buy a DVD/VHS that has a good reputation such as Tom Cruise, etc. It is more likely that deaf culture is a small world. I believe that you could mix with cultures that might work.

You can make a show for your independent company. You need to ask some companies for a permission as important items like as a soda can, a shirt (?), brand of shoes, etc. Of course, the actors/actresses have to sign your contract. They could sue you if you don't follow up. You could ask some advertisement companies if they are willing to pay you some money for your show so that you can buy your film supplies. I am not a teacher. I studied in video editing courses at RIT/NTID.

Some of my courses were boring, and a least something is important to me in a small way to become a big issue to me. (uh, I'm not sure this if my grammar is correct.)

Foreign countries have a different system. For example, in India, they have to get an approval from the government for their own business. It takes many months for the approval.

Yeah and plus many countries are under communist or Muslim control.
It is a good thing that Americans have all the freedom to do whatever they want to.

Here is different. It is tricky because too many film-makers want to start up. My teacher never mention about starting own a video business. I think that the teachers cannot talk about it unless the students are interested in working for a big company. All I know that some film maker owners can be very mean to their employees.

Right,, you have to work yourself way up, start from the bottom first.
That is why I am still learning about film.

I have noticed that many foreign people came in the U.S. to become a famous movie star and film makers. Even, a Google president is from other country. That's something suspicion.

It does not mean that deaf film makers are failed. It's because many deaf people are on welfare. Most people rather to buy a DVD/VHS that has a good reputation such as Tom Cruise, etc. It is more likely that deaf culture is a small world. I believe that you could mix with cultures that might work.

Yeah and deaf people have variety of different sound, some deaf
people can hear some sound, some deaf people can't hear at all.
Some deaf people don't know sign language.
Yeah many deaf people are on welfare, we don't pay for relay service,
the government do. When I was at Deaf Expo, I saw this white girl with
bag full of free stuffs... she didn't buy anything.. Even the tickets to
go to Deaf Expo is free.
Yeah Marlee Matlin is like a local girl... she isn't a star.
So what she won an award one time... but she isn't important.

You can make a show for your independent company. You need to ask some companies for a permission as important items like as a soda can, a shirt (?), brand of shoes, etc. Of course, the actors/actresses have to sign your contract. They could sue you if you don't follow up. You could ask some advertisement companies if they are willing to pay you some money for your show so that you can buy your film supplies. I am not a teacher. I studied in video editing courses at RIT/NTID.

Some of my courses were boring, and a least something is important to me in a small way to become a big issue to me. (uh, I'm not sure this if my grammar is correct.

Yeah... I know all about that... but asking money from investors
and putting all of your money into films still won't help sell your film...
I find out that you gotta do more than that.

With my experince, I ran for public office three time, I failed but last time I almost got into general election.. I don't give up, see I've become successful and now I sit on campus government with a high position. I even work on campaigns and I don't give up either...... You should not give up.. Try make films and post it on YouTube and see how people react to it..

With my experince, I ran for public office three time, I failed but last time I almost got into general election.. I don't give up, see I've become successful and now I sit on campus government with a high position. I even work on campaigns and I don't give up either...... You should not give up.. Try make films and post it on YouTube and see how people react to it..

Anybody can make a film and show it on the website.

I already made films and post it on YouTube....

The wedding film of my Uncle and Aunt in California...

And also documentary about my film school experience on Myspace.

I achieve... I show to many people.... I accomplish, I am so proud of myself.

As a hearing person, I think a deaf film could succeed, but it does have to be such a good story that it will overcome the subtitle/caption bias that hearing people tend to have.

It's really the same problem foreign films have. There are some excellent foreign films out there that nobody in the USA has ever seen, because hearing people freak out about subtitles and captions (I can't understand why... I think it's a form of prejudice, because I actually prefer watching movies with captions or subtitles -- I miss so much if I turn them off. Maybe this is a commentary on how our schools are teaching kids to read... kids are taught to treat reading like it like it's a chore, so when subtitles are on, they automatically have a negative reaction.) I actually had a disagreement about this with a co-worker today. We were talking about rear-projected subtitles/captions, and he said he can't stand subtitles. I said: "Why?! Do you realize how much of the dialog you miss with them turned off?" He said he didn't care, he found the subtitles distracting. :mad2:

There are a few foreign films that have such great stories that they were still very popular (Amelie, Life is Beautiful, City of God, etc.) Although, sometimes in order to be successful, foreign films will dub English over the original language (which I find to be quite disturbing... I'd rather hear the native language, even if I don't understand it, with English subtitles/captions -- it's just weird when peoples' mouths don't match their voices -- it's like watching robots or something).

I wonder, have any deaf film makers attempted to approach the problem as if they were producing a foreign film? You know, show it at foreign film festivals and so on?

Please forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know of any really good ASL films out there? I would actually love to see such a film. I was totally amazed when I saw this D-PAN video a few months ago. I would really enjoy watching a film with a good story in ASL (with captions to help me when I need it -- sometimes you guys get too fast for me!! Although it's pure enjoyment when occassionally I can follow a fast conversation and I realize that somehow "I just understood" without having to work so hard).

Actually, I would think that for a hearing audience, just the novelty of watching a whole film without audio dialog could be turned into a positive. People are always looking for a new experience -- especially when they're paying for entertainment. It would just have to be a great story, in order to get people to move past their prejudices.

What about a story about a deaf person who survived the Nazi camps? That seems like a premise for a story that could attract a huge audience, because it could be a profound movie.... especially, if at the very end, you could somehow very subtly point the finger back at the audience and ask them to examine their own prejudices. Most hearing people aren't Nazis obviously, but ignorance is its own form of prejudice.

All we need now is some great deaf writer out there to do a bunch of research, write an excellent screen play, and call Marlee Matlin. :fingersx:

Please forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know of any really good ASL films out there?

Well there is "Forget me not" film by ASLfilm.com. One of the most recent ones. It was too boring for me because it was too long.

What about a story about a deaf person who survived the Nazi camps? That seems like a premise for a story that could attract a huge audience, because it could be a profound movie.... especially, if at the very end, you could somehow very subtly point the finger back at the audience and ask them to examine their own prejudices. Most hearing people aren't Nazis obviously, but ignorance is its own form of prejudice.

First of all, you need the deaf person or his family's permission to make a movie. Second of all, you need German's permission to shoot on their location.
Might cost a lot. Thirdly, we don't have "MONEY" to pay for art directors, best costume artist, actors who would like to get pay big bucks, 200 film crews, and trailers, and film equipment....
The only person who may want to do this... is Steven Spielberg or film director who got $200 million dollars budget to make that film. They gonna
take all the credit.
Forth, we still have to work with hearing people... communication will be the problem. Fifth, it doesn't take weeks, it will take a year to make that film. And you gotta feed and lodge actors and everybody.

All we need now is some great deaf writer out there to do a bunch of research, write an excellent screen play, and call Marlee Matlin.

all they gonna do is give those screen play to hearing people. Marlee Matlin got children, house bills, and stuff, she isn't as rich as Oprah. Actors have to work... they gotta stand in LONG LINES and rehearsal.... It is hard to get an acting job.
And plus.... ASL in German film? American Sign Language? Really why
not have GSL, German Sign Language, gotta find Actors who can
sign GSL...

Anybody can make a film and show it on the website.

I already made films and post it on YouTube....

The wedding film of my Uncle and Aunt in California...

And also documentary about my film school experience on Myspace.

I achieve... I show to many people.... I accomplish, I am so proud of myself.

Hmm... you say you're proud of yourself and that you accomplished making a film. WHY did you quit film school? oh it was so hard!?! well that shows you gave up on your dream and that is not an accomplishment.

Hmm... you say you're proud of yourself and that you accomplished making a film. WHY did you quit film school? oh it was so hard!?! well that shows you gave up on your dream and that is not an accomplishment.

I needed an Interpreter. I didn't understand what I needed to do at film school.

You should have requested an INterpreter for film school BEFORE you went to film school.. that's the normal routine to take for any deaf person.

Why didn't you request an interpreter?

You should have requested an INterpreter for film school BEFORE you went to film school.. that's the normal routine to take for any deaf person.

Why didn't you request an interpreter?

I have to pay for that... This film school isn't going to pay for that.

I needed an Interpreter. I didn't understand what I needed to do at film school.

There are MANY other schools out there who have a program for the deaf or HOH. For example there's RIT and they will provide interpreters for FREE and they have a Film major. You can do some research and find out what's out there. Don't just give up because of one school.

There are MANY other schools out there who have a program for the deaf or HOH. For example there's RIT and they will provide interpreters for FREE and they have a Film major. You can do some research and find out what's out there. Don't just give up because of one school.

I don't want to go to RIT or anywhere where Deaf people are.
I don't want to be around Deaf people anymore... they aren't friendly.

Deailmedia - let me tell you few things.

All we need now is some great deaf writer out there to do a bunch of research, write an excellent screen play, and call Marlee Matlin.

You can use marlee matlin as the VIP and special guest, if marlee matlin has seen your good movie, Marlee can comment how good the film is.

First of all, you need the deaf person or his family's permission to make a movie. Second of all, you need German's permission to shoot on their location.
Might cost a lot. Thirdly, we don't have "MONEY" to pay for art directors, best costume artist, actors who would like to get pay big bucks, 200 film crews, and trailers, and film equipment....
The only person who may want to do this... is Steven Spielberg or film director who got $200 million dollars budget to make that film. They gonna
take all the credit.
Forth, we still have to work with hearing people... communication will be the problem. Fifth, it doesn't take weeks, it will take a year to make that film. And you gotta feed and lodge actors and everybody.

Well, let me tell you something about this... I am a movie maker myself, I have made a short film with no budget and it has been successful... rememeber you don't have to have "MONEY" - locations rather than the states can wait - but if you have trouble finding the right scene... how about you build it? With things you have around you.. like backyard for instance? It doesn't matter as long no one wonuldn't notice. also you can send the location with a professional written permission to use their premeises.. and you can use a standard professional camera that would costs around the standard prices at the electronic stores - and a computer where you can edit and burn on DVD's. A small short film CAN get you money if you get them to film festivals - I don't care if it is deaf or hearing, hearing people can find subtitles distracting BUT not all 100% does... some hearing people find subtitles useful in case the person is on the phone and can not hear the TV, they can use the subtitles as a back up while watching a show.. simple!

I have to pay for that... This film school isn't going to pay for that.

C'mon, don't be weak there, Just show them you can do it, and you can try and get a fund from the disability government agency or whatever who can be supportive for you as long you can tell them what YOU want to be like write a small statement WHY you want the funding for the interpreter in the film school. Just an suggestion or you could find other schools who already have interpreters..... doesn't matter if you don't like deaf people if they are not friendly - we are friendly here on the forum, what is the problem here? If you are with the other deafies at a film school, you could gather plenty of ideas for your own film.... remember hearing people can be supportive with your film by consulting with other things like advertising, consulting about locations and budget etc.

Does it make sense?

I would like to add a comment. I think that it is a good idea to get a good tripod so that it makes you professional. I have a strong and little heavy tripod, and I love it. For a digital movie camera, it is hard because it is always expensive to buy a professional digital video camera. Like this (google):

digitalmoviecamera.jpg

I would like to recommend you to make your own website. Also put your website address colorful label on your tripod and your sign on your back car. That would be a good start. I'm just giving you a brainstorm.

I would like to add a comment. I think that it is a good idea to get a good tripod so that it makes you professional. I have a strong and little heavy tripod, and I love it. For a digital movie camera, it is hard because it is always expensive to buy a professional digital video camera. Like this (google):

digitalmoviecamera.jpg

I would like to recommend you to make your own website. Also put your website address colorful label on your tripod and your sign on your back car. That would be a good start. I'm just giving you a brainstorm.

Yes, a very good tripod is a good start, no one would not like to see any shaky scenes - unless there is a good reason to use a shaky scene as apart for the special effects. And also, I should suggest, if you are using deaf actors and using their 'native' langauge - before the film starts, you could post up a reminder to let them know there would be subtitles and other things you might add, and the audience would understand. More understandable - better than nothing.

Deailmedia - let me tell you few things.

You can use marlee matlin as the VIP and special guest, if marlee matlin has seen your good movie, Marlee can comment how good the film is.

Well, let me tell you something about this... I am a movie maker myself, I have made a short film with no budget and it has been successful... rememeber you don't have to have "MONEY" - locations rather than the states can wait - but if you have trouble finding the right scene... how about you build it? With things you have around you.. like backyard for instance? It doesn't matter as long no one wonuldn't notice. also you can send the location with a professional written permission to use their premeises.. and you can use a standard professional camera that would costs around the standard prices at the electronic stores - and a computer where you can edit and burn on DVD's. A small short film CAN get you money if you get them to film festivals - I don't care if it is deaf or hearing, hearing people can find subtitles distracting BUT not all 100% does... some hearing people find subtitles useful in case the person is on the phone and can not hear the TV, they can use the subtitles as a back up while watching a show.. simple!

C'mon, don't be weak there, Just show them you can do it, and you can try and get a fund from the disability government agency or whatever who can be supportive for you as long you can tell them what YOU want to be like write a small statement WHY you want the funding for the interpreter in the film school. Just an suggestion or you could find other schools who already have interpreters..... doesn't matter if you don't like deaf people if they are not friendly - we are friendly here on the forum, what is the problem here? If you are with the other deafies at a film school, you could gather plenty of ideas for your own film.... remember hearing people can be supportive with your film by consulting with other things like advertising, consulting about locations and budget etc.

Does it make sense?

Yes it makes sense. The problem is I am antisocial...
I didn't mean to say that... that deaf people aren't friendly and stuff...
I just upset about other thing... Me.

Back