why deaf films failed?

Deafilmedia

Reaction score
why do Deaf Filmmakers get frustrated?

Well I told Gary Brooks that hearing people do not like subtitled...
that is why foreign films are overlook.... Americans do not want
to watch foreign films because of subtitled.

And deaf films using subtitle for hearing people to read what they
say in sign language... and hearing people do not like that...

My family members hate watching tv with me... because I used closed
caption... they find it distraction.

The deaf Film makers get angry with deaf film festivals because no VIPs and no Distributors
came to watch their movies.

I told them that Distributors feel that deaf films are not good investment.

And a deaf film crew submit their film to Hearing film festivals, but
they didn't win anything. I don't think any deaf people came to Sacramento
to watch their movie at the film festival to support them.

And plus... deaf filmmakers want to make million dollars....

I told them that it is impossible to make million dollars from a small
deaf community. We are 1% of USA population.

I feel that the deaf filmmakers are putting themselves down...
living in fanstasy that their deaf film will succeed in hearing world.

And also... deaf filmmakers want to work for the film industry with
hearing people... but I doubt it that hearing people will have time
to communicate with deaf filmmakers... they just be in the way,
how will they know when the film is rolling....

I heard someone said they put in $8,000 or $80,000 film budget in their deaf film, but waste money... made no profit.

I met many deaf filmmakers in the past... and they gave up...
and work at regular jobs.

Oh well.:cool:

There are other ways to get rich... maybe own a business.

why do Deaf Filmmakers get frustrated?

Well I told Gary Brooks that hearing people do not like subtitled...
that is why foreign films are overlook.... Americans do not want
to watch foreign films because of subtitled.

And deaf films using subtitle for hearing people to read what they
say in sign language... and hearing people do not like that...

My family members hate watching tv with me... because I used closed
caption... they find it distraction.

The deaf Film makers get angry with deaf film festivals because no VIPs and no Distributors
came to watch their movies.

I told them that Distributors feel that deaf films are not good investment.

And a deaf film crew submit their film to Hearing film festivals, but
they didn't win anything. I don't think any deaf people came to Sacramento
to watch their movie at the film festival to support them.

And plus... deaf filmmakers want to make million dollars....

I told them that it is impossible to make million dollars from a small
deaf community. We are 1% of USA population.

I feel that the deaf filmmakers are putting themselves down...
living in fanstasy that their deaf film will succeed in hearing world.

And also... deaf filmmakers want to work for the film industry with
hearing people... but I doubt it that hearing people will have time
to communicate with deaf filmmakers... they just be in the way,
how will they know when the film is rolling....

I heard someone said they put in $8,000 or $80,000 film budget in their deaf film, but waste money... made no profit.

I met many deaf filmmakers in the past... and they gave up...
and work at regular jobs.

Oh well.:cool:

There are other ways to get rich... maybe own a business.

Aww.. no fair. :(

it's not a waste of money when you're pursuing your passion for something.. deaf film makers are not making films to make money, they are making films to show their love for deaf culture and their love of filmmaking. All you are doing is being Gollum to their Smeagol. Let them do something they love, for the sake of doing it. You SHOULD be proud that they are TRYING to pave the way for ALL deaf who want to be future filmmakers, instead of putting them down, and trying to destroy their dreams.

How about giving them that "keep your chin up" or slap on the back to say "good job, I'm proud of you" instead of your "it'll never succeed, you'll never make it in hollywood" ect ect. Geez. No wonder deaf people have a hard time succeeding in anything with people like you beating on us and discouraging us! Deaf people can succeed... but telling them they will never suceed is like making them think they are worthless pieces of horse crap. SO How about a little Postiviity instead of all this negativity?

No, I"m not gonna apologise, cuz this kinda negativity is bull.

(the Gollum/Smeagol reference- check the lord of the rings bonus features In either the two towers or Return of the king)

sorry for delaying... I had to say goodbye to an beautiful actress and her mother (they looks like they are from India, maybe Bollywood)
they lived next door to me at this Hollywood fancy Apartment. Anyway.

well it is the truth... I didn't mean to put people down...

This girl I know Ju and last name is Da...

I won't say her whole name.... but she is going college full time
to learn film....

Why waste money on college tuition? She can talk clearly, but
I saw her exchange notes with hearing people. And plus she read lips.

She said she won't work regular job.

How she is going to make a living off of making deaf films?

I have seen her movie at Gallaudet... I didn't understand it didn't make sense.

If you going to do it for fun of it, why go to college for it? Why not just
do it.

I'm just up here at the film school in Hollywood, cause I am bored
in life.. and living off SSI... I am curious, really really want to know
how the commercial do all of those special effect and how they do that
blah blah blah...

Yeah I had made short films and alot of friends love my films. And I was planning on to make a full lenght feature but two of my friends beat me to it and end up not being successful. I got their copy DVD and I thought it was cool. I wanted to make movies it has been a dream of mine but I dont have all those tech they use now days. It would be nice if we deaf filmmakers just do this for fun and create our own website and trade our Movies (dvd) to each other for fun.

Yeah, lets make deaf film for fun... show to everybody.
Don't be a snob... and then tell someone that they are too ugly
to work with or to put photo on website.

We Black people have some hardship... even Hispanics...

Asian films are okay, cause of John Woo.

it's not a waste of money when you're pursuing your passion for something.. deaf film makers are not making films to make money, they are making films to show their love for deaf culture and their love of filmmaking. All you are doing is being Gollum to their Smeagol. Let them do something they love, for the sake of doing it. You SHOULD be proud that they are TRYING to pave the way for ALL deaf who want to be future filmmakers, instead of putting them down, and trying to destroy their dreams.

How about giving them that "keep your chin up" or slap on the back to say "good job, I'm proud of you" instead of your "it'll never succeed, you'll never make it in hollywood" ect ect. Geez. No wonder deaf people have a hard time succeeding in anything with people like you beating on us and discouraging us! Deaf people can succeed... but telling them they will never suceed is like making them think they are worthless pieces of horse crap. SO How about a little Postiviity instead of all this negativity?

No, I"m not gonna apologise, cuz this kinda negativity is bull.

(the Gollum/Smeagol reference- check the lord of the rings bonus features In either the two towers or Return of the king)

Thank you! :) I felt so nailed a little by this thread post.. I'm sure deafies can do it.

You have no business "speaking" for all deaf filmakers; it is not your place and for you to come here with that kind of negativity is not beneficial at all and reflects badly only on YOU.

Tousi,
well in 2003, I went to Chicago Film Festival for the Deaf...
and 2 Interpreters (White men) came up to me.... and they
asked me questions...
And I told them that I am from Gallaudet...
And they told me Deaf filmmakers failed, and they can't have
career in film.
They told me that I won't make it.

And they dissed the deaf people who won awards... and all...
They told me how disappointing the Chicago Deaf Film Festival is.

They didn't like the deaf films... I don't know why they still hang around,
talking bad about us...

They were talking negative to me. They really made me sad.

Just because hearing people gave you negative feedback on deaf films, does not mean you should copy them and insult deaf filmmakers.. Make your own judgements on the films, don't let other people's judgements take top drawer to your own.

And some filmmakers want to learn all the techiniques of the trade, so they go to school to learn more. there's only so much you can do on your own, but at a point, you need help, so having a lot of education to draw from can be a big help.

Deaf filmmakers are artists performing their craft, and perfecting it. Give them your support. And if you have something to offer, help them. That's my suggestion.

.... No wonder deaf people have a hard time succeeding in anything with people like you beating on us and discouraging us! Deaf people can succeed... but telling them they will never suceed is like making them think they are worthless pieces of horse crap. SO How about a little Postiviity instead of all this negativity?......

I agree :( I almost always get criticized for not being well in hearing world :ugh3: it sucks

I can rarely watch tv programs or movies with closed captions :( my choices are very very few.. and my family dislike it when I watched something with closed caption.. they prefer 'normal' style and I feel left out :( I can hear tv but cannot understand most of speech without closed caption.. even my family doesn't pay attention to my partial deafness when watching tv :(

Last edited:
Aw.. but Someday there will be success deaf filmmaker! :):):)

Just because hearing people gave you negative feedback on deaf films, does not mean you should copy them and insult deaf filmmakers.. Make your own judgements on the films, don't let other people's judgements take top drawer to your own.

And some filmmakers want to learn all the techiniques of the trade, so they go to school to learn more. there's only so much you can do on your own, but at a point, you need help, so having a lot of education to draw from can be a big help.

Deaf filmmakers are artists performing their craft, and perfecting it. Give them your support. And if you have something to offer, help them. That's my suggestion.

This film school, they want silent films.
No sound...

And I told a lady about deaf films, and she said oh that is so interesting
she wants to go to a deaf film festival... it is too bad nobody ever mention it to her or anybody in Hollywood about deaf films.

This film school, they want silent films.
No sound...

And I told a lady about deaf films, and she said oh that is so interesting
she wants to go to a deaf film festival... it is too bad nobody ever mention it to her or anybody in Hollywood about deaf films.[/QUOTE/]

That's because the people who set up deaf film festivals don't think to try to get people from hollywood to come check out films. If they would do that, deaf films would be more popular and whatnot. I know that deaf filmmakers have complained, but organizers of deaf film festivals don't think to ask hollywood studios, directors or whatnot to come and check out the festivals. That's the problem.

why have deaf film festival in chicago or florida, why not have
deaf film festival in HOLLYWOOD,,,?????:pissed:

that way producers and directors can go and see... what is all the hype
about deaf films...
:ty:

Wow... I can't believe what I just read... That is serious low self estem issue.

First of all...

Why do you let hearing people get you down? NEVER listen to people who are being negative about you and your ideas. Just do it and prove yourself that you can do it and prove them wrong.

You're right that many hearing people don't like subtitles. That is their problem but... You can hire some people who do the voices for deaf actors/actresses to attract hearing people to watch your films. It could turn into profit. Think about it.

To the one who mentioned a family who don't like to watch television with you because of closed caption... Have you even realized how extremely selfishness they really are? You should get blunt with them that closed caption is YOUR only option to understand what television is saying. They needs to learn how to accept it. My family used to have same issues with it when I was younger and I got blunt with them at age 10. Guess what? They finally learned how to live with it and everytime I go over their homes, they always turn closed caption on. You should do it. You can't let your family win by their selfishness.

why have deaf film festival in chicago or florida, why not have
deaf film festival in HOLLYWOOD,,,?????:pissed:

that way producers and directors can go and see... what is all the hype
about deaf films...
:ty:

Why not you host it for Hollywood Deaf Film Festival?

I can't do that all by myself...

I have to announce it to everyone..
I have to find out where movies will be shown.
I have to get sponsorship and all...
I have to get VIPs or Famous people to come...

Someone like Gary Brooks can do stuff like that...
Because they are more socialable than I am... I am more like a stay at
home type... Don't really care about making friends and stuff...

I can't do that all by myself...

I have to announce it to everyone..
I have to find out where movies will be shown.
I have to get sponsorship and all...
I have to get VIPs or Famous people to come...

Someone like Gary Brooks can do stuff like that...
Because they are more socialable than I am... I am more like a stay at
home type... Don't really care about making friends and stuff...

That is your problem. You have to do something to make it successful. Networking is very important key to get connected with many different kind of people. Your film career is very dependant on networking. Would you rather to end up collecting SSI for living and having alot of regrets for many things that you haven't achieve yet? That is your choice.

Back