Why are you deaf?

I was born hearing and lost it at 2 and half to spinal meningitis.

A genetic gift from my family. Also the reason my husband is HOH. We have been fortunate to pass it on and are founding our own dynasty. Soon we will secede.

pinky_and_brain.gif

*Pinky and the Brain cartoon about taking over the world*

why am I deaf

Well was hearing til 7 yrs ago , came home from work, shwered went to bed woke up profoundly deaf. After 3 weeks in Hospital they discovered i carry an extra gene that has very recently been identified as a possible link to deafness...I have no structural deformaties...but hear nothing not even my own voice. UGH! I tried every HA out there, nothing worked and met with the
head of the CI program here at Johns hopkins. His comment was no guarantee..that was before the traumatic brain injury...now..I am just happy to be alive and walking and talking ..I feel blessed and have few complaints.
peace to you all..Midnight♥♥♥

:lol:

I was born congenitally profoundly deaf. Don't know the cause. I'm a mutant basically.

What I really should have said before was: The reason why I am deaf? The Good Lawd made me this way and who am I to argue with him?

Born Profoundly deaf for unknown reasons.

I have LARGE family who had NO hearing loss, Grandpa at 93 still can hear, Grandmother at 88 still can hear so is grand aunts/uncles in their 80's, all 12 aunts/uncles between 40 and 65 all can hear fine, 13 cousins plus once removed cousins are all hearing, Brother are hearing too.

Apparently born with a progressive hearing loss that was diagnosed when I was 13. I have a severe/profound loss now, reasons why are unknown.

Suspected unknown viral infection...

Ears plugged up during a bad cold, the ringing started and I began to "Say What?" Two more noticeable declines over the next year and half or so to the point of being severly/Profoundly HOH/Deaf.

A precursor to the cold was a trip to the DR during which I was bitten by a mosquito. Could this have been the source of the virus??? We have always wondered but have been unable to see a virologist to findout for sure.

Last edited:
I have a progressive loss that they think is related to a genetic disorder I have, but has not been identified. :)

Apparently he is the poster formerly known as "jasin" and was previously banned under that name for bad behavior, so was banned again. Long-timers know more about the history than I do.

Why am I bilaterally deaf. Genetic with having a sensorineural hearing loss over 40 years. I was at "Profound" level- almost 30 years.

Note: Neither my father or his brothers were deaf nor any of my cousins. My brother is deaf now and has the same Implant as I have, .

Implanted Sunnybrook Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
Apparently he is the poster formerly known as "jasin" and was previously banned under that name for bad behavior, so was banned again. Long-timers know more about the history than I do.

Yep. He was perma-banned for violations, and has tried, I believe this is the second time, to sneak back in under another screen name.

NF2 has caused tumors to grow on both hearing nerves. Lost the right side to surgery to remove the tumor, and the left from the tumor just killing the nerve

Back