Why adults choose CI's for their children

Status
Not open for further replies.
My personal feeling is that if you can read above elementary school level, you can pretty much do whatever you want in your life.

In my field of working at a school for the deaf, I have seen a few children gotten implants only never to be successful because the parents chose to belieive that the implant would be like getting glasses... not so.. any thoughts??

I don't think I can agree that you can do "pretty much whatever you want" with only a 5th grade reading ability. You may be able to fake your way through higher education, or be your own boss in many different career fields, but I believe that a reading deficiency of that degree would severely limit your options with many employers and vocations. Can you expand upon that please?

If parents think that an implant is like getting glasses, they have not done their research (or they rely on ABC's "What About Brian" for information about cochlear implants, ASL and the like - what a joke that is). As strongly as I feel that I am making the best decision for my child, I fell just as strong that parents need to take responsibility for learning about the options and having a reason why they choose whether to implant or not.

Hearing about parents who let a child struggle with either their sign language-based learning or CI hearing and speech development when they haven't even made an effort to learn about the pros and cons of the surgery, therapy and education involved throughout a lifetime makes me sick.

when they meet me how wonderful my speech is and there is a wise guy in me that wants to say to them,"thanks, but ask me what I learned for 16 years while sitting in a classroom and comprehending nothing...what is my good speech for then??"
Yes indeedy! Another excellent point!!!!! With the hyperfocus on speech, speech speech 24/7, there really isn't too much time for learning of actual content!
Oh and jillo, I always encourage parents of dhh kids to send their kids to Schools for the Deaf or Schools for the Blind for early intervention, since they can offer really really good quality EI. I really think that kids should start out at the School for the Deaf or Blind and THEN gradually transistion to mainstreaming. Even the self contained classrooms could serve as "satilite" campuses for the Schools for the Deaf and Blind. Like there'd be a really well trained teacher, who is a graduate of a well qualified program, and then the services from the Schools could come to the classroom every so often. The kids in the classes could also maybe go to the Deaf and blind school for mini semesters. Like I think Colarado School for the Deaf has a program where dhh kids come for "enrichment" for two weeks every school year.

Yes indeedy! Another excellent point!!!!! With the hyperfocus on speech, speech speech 24/7, there really isn't too much time for learning of actual content!
Oh and jillo, I always encourage parents of dhh kids to send their kids to Schools for the Deaf or Schools for the Blind for early intervention, since they can offer really really good quality EI. I really think that kids should start out at the School for the Deaf or Blind and THEN gradually transistion to mainstreaming. Even the self contained classrooms could serve as "satilite" campuses for the Schools for the Deaf and Blind. Like there'd be a really well trained teacher, who is a graduate of a well qualified program, and then the services from the Schools could come to the classroom every so often. The kids in the classes could also maybe go to the Deaf and blind school for mini semesters. Like I think Colarado School for the Deaf has a program where dhh kids come for "enrichment" for two weeks every school year.
That is eaiser said than done depending on the availability of deaf schools in a given area.

***nodding agreement***

i'm a CI user myself and the reason why my hearing parents chose the CI for me was because they wanted me to have more opportunities in life. and by this, i mean they wanted me to be able to learn to talk and listen and happily adapt into the hearing world. deaf people are a minority. the hearing world is not going to learn our language (ASL).

if we grow up orally, we eventually get mainstreamed in schools, rather than being thrown into deaf residential schools where the eduation there is so poor, as the average deaf high school graduate reads at a sad fourth grade level. so if we're mainstreamed, we get a way better eduation which leads us attending academically challenged universities, and not like a cake school such as gallaudet where they party every single night. heck, gally has a really low graduation rate.

when i was younger, I used HA's and they didn't work. My mom asked me if I wanted to try CI's.. i was like what are Ci's? she explained and I saw a guy i met who was deaf with one.. and learned more about them.. I was like have stuff implanted in my brain?? are you crazy?. (Hey, I was like 9 at the time!)

Now i'm considering getting CI's.. I don't know if i will or not.. but the more I learn about them.. I'm still worried about it because I don't know if i will be a candiate for it due to the fact I haven't used HA's since i was like 6 years old. I've grown up deaf in mainstream schools (yeah repeating myself for the thousandth time)

It's been 21 years since I used HA's.. so I'm not sure I will be a candiate.. When my boyfriend and I get the insurance, we will go to the doctor and see if it's possible.. I have no residual hearing at all.. so this is a big worry for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love my deafness. but I sometimes wish i could hear my boyfriend's voice, my sister's voice, my mother's voice.. i haven't heard my mom talk since I was 4 years old. I think a lot of people who have some memory of hearing, want to know what they're missing.

I support parents making the decision they feel is best for their children. If i had a child that was born deaf or became deaf for whatever reason, I'd try whatever available option I could to help them. whether it be HA's, CI's or total communication. As long as it helps my child. there are many options.. but if something won't help them hear, then i'll find another way.

QUOTE=BearBeauty;748165]when i was younger, I used HA's and they didn't work. My mom asked me if I wanted to try CI's.. i was like what are Ci's? she explained and I saw a guy i met who was deaf with one.. and learned more about them.. I was like have stuff implanted in my brain?? are you crazy?. (Hey, I was like 9 at the time!)

Now i'm considering getting CI's.. I don't know if i will or not.. but the more I learn about them.. I'm still worried about it because I don't know if i will be a candiate for it due to the fact I haven't used HA's since i was like 6 years old. I've grown up deaf in mainstream schools (yeah repeating myself for the thousandth time)

It's been 21 years since I used HA's.. so I'm not sure I will be a candiate.. When my boyfriend and I get the insurance, we will go to the doctor and see if it's possible.. I have no residual hearing at all.. so this is a big worry for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love my deafness. but I sometimes wish i could hear my boyfriend's voice, my sister's voice, my mother's voice.. i haven't heard my mom talk since I was 4 years old. I think a lot of people who have some memory of hearing, want to know what they're missing.

I support parents making the decision they feel is best for their children. If i had a child that was born deaf or became deaf for whatever reason, I'd try whatever available option I could to help them. whether it be HA's, CI's or total communication. As long as it helps my child. there are many options.. but if something won't help them hear, then i'll find another way.[/QUOTE]

For me.. I think the parents who get the CI for their child, and to me it seems like they trying to create a PERFECT CHILD,but there is no such a thing as PERFECT!. They make the decision for their child and wants their child to fit better in "Hearing World". I don't think about BOTH Deaf and Hearing world. I know it's one world which is "REAL WORLD". I fit well in both, but I look at it as "REAL WORLD" not deaf, hearing, blind, mentally retarded, or any other disability and it is just ONE WORLD. I am not going to preach on this, but it's the parents decision and I can't speak against that, but I do believe if it makes the parents feels better to change their child and because it was their decision. Then Good for them and Good for the Child if that makes everyone Happy, then So Be it.

I thank my mom for doing such a good job on raising me, and I did not have a hard life growing up, but I had choices. I remember one thing was when I went away school in St. Augustine, FL for 7th and 8th grade. I was there for a month-half during my 7th grade year. I was not sure what to think whether I like it or wasn't ready to be away from home, until I tried again for 8th grade and stayed there for a year. My 8th grade year was so-so, but I still wanted to go public school and mainstream as that was my choice, because I want to fit in both worlds deaf and hearing. So I to me it is Real world and that's way I feel about it.

WE ALL ARE HUMANS and everyone is entitle to have their own opinion and that's GOOD THING. Speak what you feel no one should criticize anyone about WHAT THEY FEEL or WHAT THEY WANT THE BEST. I just spoken my opinion and that's way I feel about what I said. I'm not criticize anybody for what they choose or decisions that they make for their child to have CI. If they believe it would help, then go for it.

This goes out to the parents, whatever decision you made and no one is to judge or criticize you. Whatever you decide is the best for your child and that is understandable.

i'm a CI user myself and the reason why my hearing parents chose the CI for me was because they wanted me to have more opportunities in life. and by this, i mean they wanted me to be able to learn to talk and listen and happily adapt into the hearing world. deaf people are a minority. the hearing world is not going to learn our language (ASL).

if we grow up orally, we eventually get mainstreamed in schools, rather than being thrown into deaf residential schools where the eduation there is so poor, as the average deaf high school graduate reads at a sad fourth grade level. so if we're mainstreamed, we get a way better eduation which leads us attending academically challenged universities, and not like a cake school such as gallaudet where they party every single night. heck, gally has a really low graduation rate.

I used to think like u abour deaf schools which was why I decided to become a deaf ed teacher. I thought I cud solve this problem and after working 5 years at a deaf school, the issues relating to low reading levels are much much more complicated than I thought and now I see the whole picture and changed my view about deaf schools. Now I think the opposite cuz at deaf schools, we get many students who have little or no language when they shuid be ready to learn how to read and write. Instead, we have to start at square 1 with these kids with building up a strong L1 language first and that can take about 2 years. So yes, there is time lost but until these kids understand concepts and how the world works around them, they aren't ready to learn how to read and write. Not only that, the kids have to learn ASL since they were unable to pick up on spoken language and then have to learn a 2nd language in print which is English. Plus there r other factors such as parental involvement, children's motivation, and etc.

Pls do not hold deaf schools 100% accountable..we r working hard to solve this problem. We need support from the community too...

I used to think like u abour deaf schools which was why I decided to become a deaf ed teacher. I thought I cud solve this problem and after working 5 years at a deaf school, the issues relating to low reading levels are much much more complicated than I thought and now I see the whole picture and changed my view about deaf schools. Now I think the opposite cuz at deaf schools, we get many students who have little or no language when they shuid be ready to learn how to read and write. Instead, we have to start at square 1 with these kids with building up a strong L1 language first and that can take about 2 years. So yes, there is time lost but until these kids understand concepts and how the world works around them, they aren't ready to learn how to read and write. Not only that, the kids have to learn ASL since they were unable to pick up on spoken language and then have to learn a 2nd language in print which is English. Plus there r other factors such as parental involvement, children's motivation, and etc.

Pls do not hold deaf schools 100% accountable..we r working hard to solve this problem. We need support from the community too...
Shel, the things you have pointed out are additional reasons a parent would want to choose a CI for their child. In terms of education, a child that can hear will most likely learn faster and would not encounter many of the drawbacks you have mentioned.

Shel, the things you have pointed out are additional reasons a parent would want to choose a CI for their child. In terms of education, a child that can hear will most likely learn faster and would not encounter many of the drawbacks you have mentioned.
I am aware of that so what to do if the child doesn't benefit from the CI?remember that I have mentioned we get children with CIs referred from the public schools because they couldn't keep up with spoken language as it becomes more complex. That's why I strongly believe both sign and speech shud be used with all deaf children cuz u never know in the future. Like Lillys dad thinks that people here criticize him for not advocating sign language when he really is, iam getting the feeling that many people here think I am against the oral approach. Iam only against it as being the ONLY approach, that's all.

I have nothing against CIs personally. Just very concerned about all deaf children getting full access to language both at home and in the schools, that's all.

I am aware of that so what to do if the child doesn't benefit from the CI?remember that I have mentioned we get children with CIs referred from the public schools because they couldn't keep up with spoken language as it becomes more complex. That's why I strongly believe both sign and speech shud be used with all deaf children cuz u never know in the future. Like Lillys dad thinks that people here criticize him for not advocating sign language when he really is, iam getting the feeling that many people here think I am against the oral approach. Iam only against it as being the ONLY approach, that's all.

I have nothing against CIs personally. Just very concerned about all deaf children getting full access to language both at home and in the schools, that's all.
Shel, you are correct. If there is no benefit from the CI then you should re-think the teaching methods and I also agree with you on the multiple method approach because you are right, you never know what will work. Also your approach gives the best of both worlds. But if a child is benefiting from the CI, then focus on a mainstream approach but don't neglect sign language because at the end of the day , you are still deaf even with a CI.

Shel, you are correct. If there is no benefit from the CI then you should re-think the teaching methods and I also agree with you on the multiple method approach because you are right, you never know what will work. Also your approach gives the best of both worlds. But if a child is benefiting from the CI, then focus on a mainstream approach but don't neglect sign language because at the end of the day , you are still deaf even with a CI.

True :)

Speaking of CIs and identity issues. My friend tutors this family who has 2 deaf girls with CIs. The older one was born hard of hearing and got a CI in her toddler years and now she is a teenager being mainstreamed as the only deaf student. She can't really talk well and can't understand her peers. She has no friends and has been in a deep depression. She tried telling that to her parents but her parents brushed it off as typical teenaged behavior. Well, something happened (my friend won't tell me) but the parents finally sent her off to the deaf school. Now, she is more outgoing and confident.

However, the younger sister was born profoundly deaf..got CIs and she did so well with them that she is basically able to function like a hearing child with some visual aids. She can communicate easily with her hearing peers, has many friends and very outgoing. She will remain in the public schools. She is happy being in the hearing world and has no interest in the deaf world.

Both know ASL due to my friend coming to tutor them using ASL. Not sure if they r fully fluent in it.

Just interesting how that happens.

True :)

Speaking of CIs and identity issues. My friend tutors this family who has 2 deaf girls with CIs. The older one was born hard of hearing and got a CI in her toddler years and now she is a teenager being mainstreamed as the only deaf student. She can't really talk well and can't understand her peers. She has no friends and has been in a deep depression. She tried telling that to her parents but her parents brushed it off as typical teenaged behavior. Well, something happened (my friend won't tell me) but the parents finally sent her off to the deaf school. Now, she is more outgoing and confident.

However, the younger sister was born profoundly deaf..got CIs and she did so well with them that she is basically able to function like a hearing child with some visual aids. She can communicate easily with her hearing peers, has many friends and very outgoing. She will remain in the public schools. She is happy being in the hearing world and has no interest in the deaf world.

Both know ASL due to my friend coming to tutor them using ASL. Not sure if they r fully fluent in it.

Just interesting how that happens.
yes it is interesting but re-enforces my belief that everyone is different and we should not generalize when it comes to the outcome of any given individual. Personally I believe that you should gravitate towards whatever is working and keep changing the things that aren't.

And allow people to realize that CHANGE IS GOOD!! Some people hang onto the old ways like a drowning person hanging onto a log....it is inevitable that things and opinions will change, technology will improve, and hopefully the approaches to educating the deaf will also improve, allowing for a better life for all!

And allow people to realize that CHANGE IS GOOD!! Some people hang onto the old ways like a drowning person hanging onto a log....it is inevitable that things and opinions will change, technology will improve, and hopefully the approaches to educating the deaf will also improve, allowing for a better life for all!

True...I gotta admit from time to time I hang onto that log especially when iam feeling frustrated with having so many people tell me that CIs makes the deaf children hearing and that they don't need ASL. That's when I revert back to grabbing onto that "log". Oh well..

True...I gotta admit from time to time I hang onto that log especially when iam feeling frustrated with having so many people tell me that CIs makes the deaf children hearing and that they don't need ASL. That's when I revert back to grabbing onto that "log". Oh well..

Here on AD?

Here on AD?

Nah....in my professional and personal life. Even my in laws believe in that cuz they have a friend whose daughter is deaf and they all encouraged the parents to get her implanted about 5 years ago so she can become "hearing". Well, she is 10 years old and relies on sign language and has no speech skills. The parents went thru a 2nd greiving cuz they had all these expectations from the CI. Not only that..their daughter is on 1st grade level for academics. She is in a class with other students that have MR or other cognitive disabilities at her public school.

I told my in laws to tell them about my school and from my understanding they don't want their daughter around ASL all day cuz they still have hope she will someday pick up speech and listening skills by being around her hearing peers.

Nah....in my professional and personal life. Even my in laws believe in that cuz they have a friend whose daughter is deaf and they all encouraged the parents to get her implanted about 5 years ago so she can become "hearing". Well, she is 10 years old and relies on sign language and has no speech skills. The parents went thru a 2nd greiving cuz they had all these expectations from the CI. Not only that..their daughter is on 1st grade level for academics. She is in a class with other students that have MR or other cognitive disabilities at her public school.

I told my in laws to tell them about my school and from my understanding they don't want their daughter around ASL all day cuz they still have hope she will someday pick up speech and listening skills by being around her hearing peers.
This is a good lesson for parents faced with the decision. Don't think that the CI is a cure for deafness. It's not. And don't think that it mimics natural hearing. It doesn't. In fact some people have a difficult time with it and many people will not benefit from it. Regardless of your choice to go with a CI or not, you should always count on learning sign language and being a part of the deaf culture. Its like the old saying, "Dont put all of your eggs in one basket"

At age 50, my parents wanted me to be "normal" - hence used the latest technology back in th early 60's. Out society is very characterized as being"normal", who wants a disabled child ? My mother still talks as if there is a mircle cure for my hearing loss, hence the parent's today are still looking for the "cure" If you speak differently in your society, then people will notice - "Are you from England ?", "You have an accent", etc. The CI or HA is only a tool to enhance the hearing, not restore hearing. I think that too many parents listen to what the doctors opinion is, "This will make you child better". Ther are many people who are deaf and are doing well, and other who are not. I know people who were led to beleive the CI would help them, and they were disappointed. When you are a child under age three, you don't experience sounds, so an CI may or not help the person - is it because adults know what sounds are, and when they lose the hearing, become upset ?

This is a good lesson for parents faced with the decision. Don't think that the CI is a cure for deafness. It's not. And don't think that it mimics natural hearing. It doesn't. In fact some people have a difficult time with it and many people will not benefit from it. Regardless of your choice to go with a CI or not, you should always count on learning sign language and being a part of the deaf culture. Its like the old saying, "Dont put all of your eggs in one basket"

A good but VERY unfoetunate lesson cuz it is the child that will pay for it for the rest of her life. That's what fuels my anger...just thinking of that child struggling in academics when it could have been avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back