Who would go watch RR and Angel wedding in July 2007?

...If you don´t have any invitation, then watch and congrat them outside of church...

Understand what I mean? It´s German ways.
Right, that's a German custom, NOT an American custom.

If someone in America doesn't get an invitation to a wedding, they just send a congratulatory card after the wedding. They don't show up outside the church.

...I work for US Government for over 20 years and know their ways. Example: We received invitation to attend solider´s farewell party at canteen. We (Europeans) often correct each other that it´s not invitation but welcome... because we pay our meal ourselves to celebrate his/her farewell party. For European - If you received Invitation to celebrate, mean is they treat you with drinks and foods. I remember when I started to work there at 20 years ago... I received an Invitation to attend solider´s farewell party... I was like :confused: because I didn´t know solider well... I asked my co-worker about this and then suggest to share the donation to buy present for solider... My co-worker laughed and said, oh no, you do not need it because you pay your own meal & drink... I was like :confused: and said "Why solider write "Invitation", not "Welcome" ... My co-worker said that it´s American´s way. I was like Ohhhhh.. I know their ways now... until I saw this thread here and understood prefect...
Normally, for a military members farewell, his/her friends plan a get together at a restaurant, and each person pays for his/her own meal. They also pay for the lunch of the person leaving (and sometimes for the spouse), a cake, a command plaque, gift and card.

Oh yes, some Americans, I work with write "Invitation" and then write "foods and drink are free". I was like :confused: because they wrote twice..."Invitation" and foods & drink free... For us not... If I see Invitation which mean eat and drink free including... "Welcome" to say goodbye which mean that you pay meal and drink by your own...
I'm a little confused about "invitation" and "welcome". In America, people are invited to events. I've never heard of something called a "welcome" for a "farewell". Those are opposite meanings. :confused:

Right, that's a German custom, NOT an American custom.

:confused: Of course I know... Jolie & I aleady talked about this in our posts.

If someone in America doesn't get an invitation to a wedding, they just send a congratulatory card after the wedding. They don't show up outside the church.

What you said in your post is the same as Germany as well.

Congrats Bride & Groom outside of church or send a card to them if they didn´t get an invitation to go wedding receiption and church. It´s up to each person.

GalaxyAngel,
I understood and thank you for explanation. :thumb:

Normally, for a military members farewell, his/her friends plan a get together at a restaurant, and each person pays for his/her own meal. They also pay for the lunch of the person leaving (and sometimes for the spouse), a cake, a command plaque, gift and card.

Yes, I know. I was there... We (co-workers as well). We sign the card... sometimes we donated the gift for them. It´s up to people. I already explained in my previous post that we have to pay meal and drink on our own - no matter either canteen or resturant. Each solider, Major, etc have different suggestion for want to go resturant or canteen.

For Europeans is different, if they celebrate their retirement party, farwell party, or whatever, then we must get invitation to attend their party. Without invitation, they can´t go to celebrate their party. Everyone are alway welcome if they want to see and say goodbye ot them after or before party.

I'm a little confused about "invitation" and "welcome". In America, people are invited to events. I've never heard of something called a "welcome" for a "farewell". Those are opposite meanings. :confused:

Europeans are confused when Americans send invitation cards to them to celebrate their farewell party because they thought Americans treat them with foods and drink because it scream "INVITATION". Some of Americans treat us with foods and drinks - they wrote "Invitation" and plus "foods and drinks are free". It´s not right word...

Anyway, we often remind each other that it´s welcome, not invitation. Americans know what we are - Most Americans realized and put a note on the board or email to let us know if we want to share their farewell party then know where canteen or resturant are... We are welcome to attend their party which mean that we pay meal and drink by our own. We went to share with them because we know them - get away from office for one hour to enjoy with them... :D

"Welcome" for everyone mean is you can go in their office and chat with them... say goodbye to them if you like to... They also put note on the board to let us know when is solider´s last working day... It makes us feel welcome to go in their office to see them... sometimes they offer cake and drink in their office to welcome all of us when we come to say goodbye to them or go resturant/canteen to share with them. For Europeans, is welcome, not invitation. Boss gave us one hour free to share solider´s farewell party.

Welcome mean is that you visit to see them voluntarily without invitation because they put note on the board or email to let us know if we feel like to share with them... Invitation means is party, foods & drink inculding.

Example:
We went to deaf clubs, festivial, BBQ parties etc... always get "Welcome" for EVERYONE, not "Invitation" because we pay our own foods and drinks....

Well, well, I am interested to hear American's view about this............. :eek3: (I can see Liebling's having tough time in trying explain to to you all about this different culture!!)

No wedding Invitation Received

We European and even Australians, who are not invited to the wedding, we are allow to turn up at the Church to greeting the Groom and Bride and wish them all the best and admire at their clothes, flowers and see who is their family, and even take some photos and video of them for a keepsake, what's wrong with that? Surely it won't cost them a penny (or a cent) to have me there!!!! And I am not allowed to come to their Reception.

For some bride/groom who can't afford to invite more people like workmates/colleagues, they would sent you a special invitation called Reception invitation which means after the foods is served, they are very welcome to join the disco and dancing all night, after all they shared and talk alot about their wedding through work/clubs etc. And what more they did went to help to celebrated Buck(Stag)/Hen Nights as a friends would be. Wedding present is often shared by colleagues.

For the wedding Invitation

They are invited by the Bride and Groom, they are included in group photo, and inside the church to pray or garden wedding, whatever, also go to the Reception to eat foods and drinks, and dancing/disco etc. Wedding presents is a must.

Yes, it´s an exactly what I tried to explain Americans here, Opal. Thank you to convince them that you are not alone...and what you know. Oh yes, I just remember about Australians who use Europe custom mostly. :thumb:

I has to accept and understand after read GalaxyAngel´s post. She explained the reason why Americans must have invitation to watch outside of church because there´re crazy people around who bash/spoil the wedding. I didn´t know that the people could be disrespectful like that.

GalaxyAngel´s post.
Espically In US/CANADA are depends where location and have been crazy peoples who already bash/blunt or crashes the wedding..

It's interesting to see the differences of each customs for inviting people to weddings or other things...

As for New Zealand customs... if you don't get invitation, you can't go to wedding, and or reception. It depends on the Bride and Groom, who they choose to invite people to their wedding etc.

I has to accept and understand after read GalaxyAngel´s post. She explained the reason why Americans must have invitation to watch outside of church because there´re crazy people around who bash/spoil the wedding. I didn´t know that the people could be disrespectful like that.

Oh that's terrible - unbelievable!! Why would they American want to destroy Bride and Groom's special day - I can't understand that:eek3:

Oh that's terrible - unbelievable!! Why would they American want to destroy Bride and Groom's special day - I can't understand that:eek3:

Yes I know. I was :shock: after read GalaxyAngel´s post and can´t understand in the world why those people are disrespectful like that.

I'm going to watch them, of course.

FYI, My ASL is good though. ;)

Hi Volcomskatz,

Even though I don't know you that well but I don't think we mind if you came down here to see us get married am I right RR?... *blushing*.. Ummm honestly the last thing I want to do is hurt someones feelings so whatever RR wants is fine with me....

Thanks for thinking of us.... Few of ya who post in this thread is already on wedding list to be invited will send a PM sometimes soon....

Hey? I did not know Mayflower and Lev both a relationship?

Yes they are married. :giggle:

If anyone didnt get the invitation then you can send them a wedding gift or card and I am sure they will know that you are thinking of them on their special day.

It doesnt matter if you have been invited or not all that matter is the thought.

Yes they are married. :giggle:

If anyone didnt get the invitation then you can send them a wedding gift or card and I am sure they will know that you are thinking of them on their special day.

It doesnt matter if you have been invited or not all that matter is the thought.

Nice.... ;)

By the way, when we invite you, be sure to bring your horse! :D

:lol:

Ok they will be wonderful and have fun. Who will announce a toast? And also who will be RR's best man? I can give wedding gift. :)

Some deaf people don't know to how use ASL since some of them are using english sign language. Some members thought I use english sign language but no offense.

To be honest, I've met up with some AD members and alot of them weren't using ASL.. they used English Sign Language. I can do ASL, SEE, and oral whatever possible i can fit in and help. When I first met ^Angel^ and Cheri.. I really thought they were fully ASL and I find they're just like me and I fit right in only I had to get used to their northern language!!! lol

As far as GalaxyAngel and Alex they're ASL and I can understand perfectly clear what they're saying.

If you were invited, I don't think you'll have a problem with us.

ohhhh I forgot to add..

I'm DEFINITELY coming!!!! Not only to watch but will be participating! :hyper:

To be honest, I've met up with some AD members and alot of them weren't using ASL.. they used English Sign Language. I can do ASL, SEE, and oral whatever possible i can fit in and help. When I first met ^Angel^ and Cheri.. I really thought they were fully ASL and I find they're just like me and I fit right in only I had to get used to their northern language!!! lol

As far as GalaxyAngel and Alex they're ASL and I can understand perfectly clear what they're saying.

If you were invited, I don't think you'll have a problem with us.

Interesting, but I hope you don´t have problem with me because I know ASL little. :giggle:

Back