Who are the famous deaf in the Deaf History?

You know even through Annie Sullivan wasn't deaf, but she deserves more a realization, because of her devoted time she spend on helping Helen talk, read, write and feel things and even helped Helen get into college. What a remarkable woman, I'm telling you. :)

I never knew about Laura Bridgman before Helen came along, she was the first deaf-blind person ever to learn language. I don't even remembering ever hearing about Laura Bridgman in school, only that I heard about Helen. I'm surprised to see that Laura changed her ways after her teacher Howe got married and went on a honeymoon leaving Laura with someone else who didn't help her enough. It's sad. :(

Not this one: Beethoven (1992) :lol:

:hmm: Not sure. There are movies about his life but I don't know if they are very accurate. Maybe Banjo (Mr. Movie Man) can make a recommendation.

rofl5.gif

Oh I love those movies. It reminds me of new puppy, Katie made the house messy. She chew up the couch. grrrrrr
pullhair.gif

Back to this topic:

I wonder if they did make a movie Beethoven's frustation when his hearing was deteriorated. He was anti-social with other people due to depression. It must be so hard for him to approach Deaf society and new language.

I am curious if Beethoven had learn sign language? Abe Linclon knew few finger spell. ** Did you notice his hand A on left hand, L on right hand at Abe Linclon memorial in Washington, D.C. ?

:rofl:

Thanks Jillio, I'll look up the movie "Armadaeus" never heard of it, but I'll try to find that one. Can you at least give me the year of that movie, and who's the actors/actresses in that movie? It'll be more helpful. :)

Thanks Jillio, I'll look up the movie "Armadaeus" never heard of it, but I'll try to find that one. Can you at least give me the year of that movie, and who's the actors/actress in that movie? It'll be more helpful. :)

You might want to check Reba's post to me above! That movie was about Mozart!

...I am curious if Beethoven had learn sign language?
Beethoven lived in Germany. I don't know what was the popular mode of communication for deaf Germans at that time. However, Beethoven was a late-deafened adult, and I don't think he associated with other deaf people. The linked story about him says that he used note writing with his friends. They wrote the notes to him, and he spoke his replies to them. It also stated that he kept his deafness secret for many years. He was basically a hearing person who could no longer hear; he was not really a "Deaf" person.

You know even through Annie Sullivan wasn't deaf, but she deserves more a realization, because of her devoted time she spend on helping Helen talk, read, write and feel things and even helped Helen get into college. What a remarkable woman, I'm telling you. :) (

I absolutely agree that Annie Sullivan should be remembered for the good things she did for Helen Keller and her family too..

:giggle: What amazing me the most if that there are so many of those famous deaf in our history, I didn't realized there was gonna be this many. I'm so impressed! I got so much reading to do. :giggle:

:bowdown: WOW............yes lots more to read and learn. This is a great thread you started. Thanks.

Wow, many of you know a lot of famous American deaf people, but not International. I guess you guys need to travel more to find out more about deaf famous people over the world. Ever heard of Alexei Svetlov? Those Russian TOY SHOW?

Can you tell us more??

Beethoven lived in Germany. I don't know what was the popular mode of communication for deaf Germans at that time. However, Beethoven was a late-deafened adult, and I don't think he associated with other deaf people. The linked story about him says that he used note writing with his friends. They wrote the notes to him, and he spoke his replies to them. It also stated that he kept his deafness secret for many years. He was basically a hearing person who could no longer hear; he was not really a "Deaf" person.

I did not know any of this.I`am learing some new everyday. Thanks Reba

Can you tell us more??

Oh you MUST see this shows. It was so amazing, those performer kneel their knees all the way during show. They made like midget people. So beautiful performance ever I see it. I saw this show twice. :D

Welcome to the TOYS Theater!

See this link....

I strongly recommend you to see Rob Roy's performance from Australia. He performed "sports" from basketball into bowling, etc... his body movement is very flexible and beautiful effectively !!!

'+windowtitle+'

Abe Linclon knew few finger spell. ** Did you notice his hand A on left hand, L on right hand at Abe Linclon memorial in Washington, D.C. ?

yes i saw his memorial in 1984 when my family and i took DC trip i am sure i have the picture of my brother and i with Abe somewhere

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a website and it said this.

Daniel Chester French, the leading American sculptor of the day, created the famous statue of Lincoln which dominates the interior. The memorial plans originally specified a 12-foot bronze statue, but it proved out of scale for the huge building. The finished statue is 19 feet tall, carved of 28 blocks of white Georgia marble. French later had special lighting installed to enhance the figure. Visitors sometimes ask if the hands have special significance (such as forming the letter "A" in sign language), but there is no indication French intended it.

Here is website.

The Abraham Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Thanks Jillio, I'll look up the movie "Armadaeus" never heard of it, but I'll try to find that one. Can you at least give me the year of that movie, and who's the actors/actresses in that movie? It'll be more helpful. :)

I think it was made in 84 or 85.

Back