Who are the famous deaf in the Deaf History?

Beethoven became deaf later in life........BIG difference there, Pek.

Cool thread :)

I can understand Helen Keller wanting to be blind rather than deaf. I am not sure, but it seems people born deafblind seldom have deaf friends, but stay with other deaflinds and hearings. Exceptions are those born deaf, and getting blind later in life. She probably never have experienced nor seen the deaf culture in action and the sign language used with vision? This statement is very normal among hearing people.

Europe/Asia/Australia/Africa have a different set of celebrities, many of them very interesting and skilled, like we see in this american list. An international celebrity thread could be interesting!

Lou Fant is not deaf. I met him once.

Oops, someone already mentioned this. Did not read two pages till now. :)

Mr. Yeh is a good friend of yours? I remember his wife was one of my teachers at MSSD and we got to meet Mr. Yeh one day.

I found it:

"Blindness cuts you off from things; deafness cuts you off from people." -- Helen Keller

I did not understand this phrase . Can you translate this into ASL ?

Tousi..I agree with you about Phyliss... my classmate who was an actress along with Phyliss.. then she had tumor in her brain... had surgery removing tumor... She lost her memory for while...Phyliss was with her along giving her moral support along with me..I applauded her for givine her moral support....You might know Freda Norman ... Phyliss always visits with her...Thats how i got to know Phyliss long enough..She is real a cool person.. she is also a beautiful... her ASL.. is awesome....I have lots of respect for her...

I also met Lou Fant..he was awesome also...other deafies are alright... i dont have much respect for them...I respect Phyliss and Lou..

Oh no about Phyllis. I was wondering where she was. I have not seen her any performance on T.V. show or conference, etc... Hope, her recovery from her brain tumor. We admire her so much with her ASL explose us. It was really impact us at RISD in 1977.

Beethoven became deaf later in life........BIG difference there, Pek.

Yes, you are correct. He became Deaf around 17 years old. He died about 40 years old due to no medical technology at that year. Nowadays, we have so much better medical provider.

I wonder if Helen Keller said all those things cuz she was born in a time when Deaf people were pratically completely isolated? If she was born in our times, maybe she would have a different perspective, do u think?

I can't imagine, she born DeafBlind with no sign language. They kept pushy her practice, say W-A-T-E-R again and again feel on her face. No tactile sign language at her younger age. Most of finger spelling... Nowadays, Deafblind have so much technology, support staff and interpreter for the DeafBlind.

According to I worked with several DB clients, amazed me. They are very brilliant people and very courageous to particular anything they want. I have seen them successful in bachelor and master degrees. They go work everyday, they did not want to collect social security because they didn’t want to feel sorry for themselves. I am very impressed with them.

I'm asking if anyone knows any famous deaf in the Deaf History, so I could read more about them and their biography

I already know some like Alexander Graham Bell, Heather Whitestone, Helen Keller and Marlee Matlin.

This thread is very excellent, it makes me curious to read other people's brainstorm and feedback with sharing their persective experience.

I become more fascination in this thread. ;)

This thread is very excellent, it makes me curious to read other people's brainstorm and feedback with sharing their persective experience.

I become more fascination in this thread. ;)

:giggle: What amazing me the most if that there are so many of those famous deaf in our history, I didn't realized there was gonna be this many. I'm so impressed! I got so much reading to do. :giggle:

I did not understand this phrase . Can you translate this into ASL ?
Without video I can't translate into real ASL but I'll try to make the meaning more clear. :)

"Blindness cuts you off from things; deafness cuts you off from people."

Suppose a person is blind. He (or she) can't see things. He can't see TV, can't see pictures, can't see billboards, can't see colors, can't see clouds. That's a sad situation. That makes life not easy.

BUT...

Suppose a person is deaf. He can't hear people speaking. He can't communicate. That makes it hard to get close to family, make friends, go on dates, get married, get a job. That makes life lonely.

So that quotation says that blindness isn't easy but deafness is worse because it makes life more lonely.

Remember, HK lived during a time when blind and deaf people didn't have technology to make life easier. They didn't have laws like ADA to give them access to services and support. Back in HK's life time, it was common to call deaf people "deaf and dumb". So that quotation explains the experience of that time and culture.

Beethoven's deafness was due to a labyrinthitis of intestinal origin, that is to say that he had a lesion of the inner ear. According to Doctor Marage, who has studied Beethoven's letters, buzzing noises and other sounds started at around 1796. Deafness broke out in 1798 and Beethoven had lost 60% of his hearing by 1801. In 1816 he was completely deaf.

The great cause of deafness at the time: syphilis...", but it's never been proved that "... Beethoven would have been hit by syphilis by the end of his adolescence.

I am diagnosed labyrinthitis since 8 years now. It makes my dizzy spin around on my head and eyes those symptom of those I have those symptom of vertigo during extremely hot and humdity weather.

That is interesting, it cause Beethoven's hearing was greatly deteriorated when he was 46 years old. Oh, I thought - he was 17 years old. I am wrong.

Reba- Glad you found a good website history about Beethoven's health deterioration.

Without video I can't translate into real ASL but I'll try to make the meaning more clear. :)

Suppose a person is blind. He (or she) can't see things. He can't see TV, can't see pictures, can't see billboards, can't see colors, can't see clouds. That's a sad situation. That makes life not easy.

BUT...

Suppose a person is deaf. He can't hear people speaking. He can't communicate. That makes it hard to get close to family, make friends, go on dates, get married, get a job. That makes life lonely.

So that quotation says that blindness isn't easy but deafness is worse because it makes life more lonely.

Remember, HK lived during a time when blind and deaf people didn't have technology to make life easier. They didn't have laws like ADA to give them access to services and support. Back in HK's life time, it was common to call deaf people "deaf and dumb". So that quotation explains the experience of that time and culture.

:gpost:!!

BUT...

I remember, they label me "deaf and mute" in 1960's. Yeah, I can imagine what Helen went through her struggle communication barrier with people over the world. I closed my eyes with tactile finger spell. I am lost it!!

** Off Topic **

Hearing people looked at Helen because she can speak well. It makes other people think that Deaf people can speak well. Not all of us... *sigh*

I remember, they label me "deaf and mute" in 1960's. Yeah, I can imagine what Helen went through her struggle communication barrier with people over the world. I closed my eyes with tactile finger spell. I am lost it!!

** Off Topic **

Hearing people looked at Helen because she can speak well. It makes other people think that Deaf people can speak well. Not all of us... *sigh*

Actually, I've seen films of HK speaking, and her voice was pretty unintelligble. Most of her speeches were delivered through an interpreter.

Did they make a movie about Beethoven's history? if so, what's the name of the movie that I could find to rent it.
Not this one: Beethoven (1992) :lol:

:hmm: Not sure. There are movies about his life but I don't know if they are very accurate. Maybe Banjo (Mr. Movie Man) can make a recommendation.

Back