Who are the famous deaf in the Deaf History?

TSK TSK all of you... you forgot about one famous deaf stuntwoman in the past.... Kitty O'neal and i met her in real life back in late 1970's at my middle school and she was so kewl woman!!!

Well, Cheri, someone once asked Helen Keller which she'd rather be....deaf or blind and it is a well known documented fact that she replied that she'd rather be blind than deaf. I don't know where that information is but someone will come along and post it, I am sure. Anyway, that was her opinion and that does not make her a bad person. I, myself, can see why she had that opinion. It doesn't bother me at all.....
I found it:

"Blindness cuts you off from things; deafness cuts you off from people." -- Helen Keller

I did find this by HK:

"I am just as deaf as I am blind. The problems
of deafness are deeper and more complex,
If not more important, than those of blindness.
Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it
means the loss of the most vital stimulus - the
sound of the voice that brings language, sets
thoughts astir, and keeps us in the intellectual
company of man."

Yes, Stokoe was hearing....
Phyllis Frelich was my classmate at Gallaudet.....

Tousi..I agree with you about Phyliss... my classmate who was an actress along with Phyliss.. then she had tumor in her brain... had surgery removing tumor... She lost her memory for while...Phyliss was with her along giving her moral support along with me..I applauded her for givine her moral support....You might know Freda Norman ... Phyliss always visits with her...Thats how i got to know Phyliss long enough..She is real a cool person.. she is also a beautiful... her ASL.. is awesome....I have lots of respect for her...

I also met Lou Fant..he was awesome also...other deafies are alright... i dont have much respect for them...I respect Phyliss and Lou..

They aren't famous, because I never heard of them. :ugh3:
And Marlee Matlin isn't that famous either in the hearing world.

Are you, what? A troll? Who cares if the hearing world knows about Marlee Matlin? The deaf community around the world knows her.

Are you, what? A troll? Who cares if the hearing world knows about Marlee Matlin? The deaf community around the world knows her.

why you keep picking on me and calling me name?
I never pick on you and I never call you bad name...
did you ever notice that? Huh? Stop being so mean to me like that.

Stop.

I'm just saying she isn't famous.

What is the different between famous and well known?

Are you saying Joseph Mesa is famous?

What about I King Jordan, is he famous or well known in deaf community?

What about Ridor or whoever?

What does famous really mean?

I thought that someone who is really FAMOUS is like OPRAH, everybody KNOWS HER....
you can ask someone... oprah? and they said "yeah we know Oprah".
but if you ask someone... marlee matlin? they will ask, "who is that?"

I forgot the name of the movie she was in.

I keep thinking Silence of the Lamb.

I don't know....

I know you probaby gonna google it up and find out... that is ashame.

If Marlee Matlin walked down the street, nobody would know her. She can go to grocery store
and everything... and Paparazzi wouldn't even take her pictures.

Last edited:
I was shocked to read her comment toward Deaf culture in the article somewhere. That is why, we lost respect her. If I see a guy who knows about this book. I will get the Title name of the book. He just left my agency few weeks ago. Dang !

Kalista, HK was BOTH deaf and blind and she once said if she had a choice of one or the other, she said she would rather be blind than deaf. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think she ever vilified deaf culture that I know of. Try to find your source.

I did find this by HK:

"I am just as deaf as I am blind. The problems
of deafness are deeper and more complex,
If not more important, than those of blindness.
Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it
means the loss of the most vital stimulus - the
sound of the voice that brings language, sets
thoughts astir, and keeps us in the intellectual
company of man."

Thank you, Reba!! That is not pillorying deaf culture, now is it? I mean not really; it's just a personal opinion of HK's and who better to make that comparison? Lol....Thank you again, Reba!

I thought Harlan Lane and William Stokoe are hearing? They do deserve to be revered in the Deaf culture because of they did for the Deaf.

Anyway, I bet Paddy Ladd will be famous because of his Deafhood concept.

I know of a few deaf actors: Eric Malz, Terrylene, Phyllis French. I've never met Phyllis French but I know Terrylene because she was in my English and history classes and I've seem Eric Malz around MSSD.

I'm not sure if I should call Ridor famous or infamous.

Yep, you are correct.

Bernard Bragg has written his autobiography called "Lessons in Laughter". He is one of the founding members of National Theatre of the Deaf. It is an excellent read.

Tousi..I agree with you about Phyliss... my classmate who was an actress along with Phyliss.. then she had tumor in her brain... had surgery removing tumor... She lost her memory for while...Phyliss was with her along giving her moral support along with me..I applauded her for givine her moral support....You might know Freda Norman ... Phyliss always visits with her...Thats how i got to know Phyliss long enough..She is real a cool person.. she is also a beautiful... her ASL.. is awesome....I have lots of respect for her...

I also met Lou Fant..he was awesome also...other deafies are alright... i dont have much respect for them...I respect Phyliss and Lou..

SyxPorkie, yeah, about Phyllis and Lou except that Lou is/was hearing. Freda? yes, I know her and have visited with her a couple of times outside of CHAD but I am closer (age) to her sister, Jane.

SyxPorkie, yeah, about Phyllis and Lou except that Lou is/was hearing. Freda? yes, I know her and have visited with her a couple of times outside of CHAD but I am closer (age) to her sister, Jane.

Isn't Lou Fant a CODA?

Yes, Jillio, IF he's still alive! Lol! He might definitely be deaf now! And that's no mis-pronounciation. Lol!

why you keep picking on me and calling me name?
I never pick on you and I never call you bad name...
did you ever notice that? Huh? Stop being so mean to me like that.

Stop.

I'm just saying she isn't famous.

What is the different between famous and well known?

Are you saying Joseph Mesa is famous?

What about I King Jordan, is he famous or well known in deaf community?

What about Ridor or whoever?

What does famous really mean?

I thought that someone who is really FAMOUS is like OPRAH, everybody KNOWS HER....
you can ask someone... oprah? and they said "yeah we know Oprah".
but if you ask someone... marlee matlin? they will ask, "who is that?"

I forgot the name of the movie she was in.

I keep thinking Silence of the Lamb.

I don't know....

I know you probaby gonna google it up and find out... that is ashame.

If Marlee Matlin walked down the street, nobody would know her. She can go to grocery store
and everything... and Paparazzi wouldn't even take her pictures.

I don't care about you, you are just a troll to me - I am not going to agrue further more, because I am threadjacking this thread. My apologises everyone.

But in this bold above under DFM's comment. You know, that I am from Australia, let me tell you, I have met King Jordan personally when I visited the University nearly 9 years ago.

Yes, Jillio, IF he's still alive! Lol! He might definitely be deaf now! And that's no mis-pronounciation. Lol!

LOL! One of the first books I purchased many years ago was his dictionary titled "The American Sign Language Phrase Book." I still think it is one of the best on the market.

Oh gosh, I hate her. Helen Keller's Quote "Deaf people are dumb and feel sorry for themselves". I saw this somewhere in the article. I remember, Deaf people have no respect for Helen Keller, she thinks - DeafBlind is far better than Deaf. Jeeze...

My best friend, Elaine Durchame dislike her Quote either. Elaine is DeafBlind person. She gave a beautiful presentation at my base last October Disability National Awareness. Everyone loves Elaine.

:confused: I read a lot about Helen Keller and know her quotes, this isn't one of them unless you can back up your claim here.

She did said if she had to choose between being deaf or blind, she would choose blind, just like myself, if I had to choose between being deaf or hearing, I would choose hearing.

Don't hate the person but hate what she said ( if that's true )

:confused: I read a lot about Helen Keller and know her quotes, this isn't one of them unless you can back up your claim here.

She did said if she had to choose between being deaf or blind, she would choose blind, just like myself, if I had to choose between being deaf or hearing, I would choose hearing.

Don't hate the person but hate what she said ( if that's true )

Angel, hopefully, you saw posts #17 all the way down to the last one of page one....

Deafilmedia-- stop trolling in my thread.
jclarke-- stop feeding the troll.

Any more trolling in my thread, I'll report you to the moderators, Enough!

I wonder if Helen Keller said all those things cuz she was born in a time when Deaf people were pratically completely isolated? If she was born in our times, maybe she would have a different perspective, do u think?

Wow, many of you know a lot of famous American deaf people, but not International. I guess you guys need to travel more to find out more about deaf famous people over the world. Ever heard of Alexei Svetlov? Those Russian TOY SHOW?

Back