White privilege

Please object that to Obama, not me, on when black students who deliberately underachieve in order to maintain their social status among their peers.

You seem to be ignoring the point that there are white students, as well, who deliberately underachieve in order to maintain peer status.

Now, back to white privilege. And. let's leave Obama out of this topic, if you please. It is not about an individual, but about a sociological phenonmenon.

You seem to be ignoring the point that there are white students, as well, who deliberately underachieve in order to maintain peer status.

Now, back to white privilege. AQnd. let's leave Obama out of this topic, if you please. It is not about an individual, but about a sociological phenonmenon.

It's more prevalent in minorities from what I can see. Ironically, some even deliberately underachieve and "act black" to try and attempt to fit in and be a part of that "privileged" group.

It's more prevalent in minorities from what I can see. Ironically, some even deliberately underachieve and "act black" to try and attempt to fit in and be a part of that "privileged" group.

Actually, it isn't more prevalent in minorities, and the research confirms that. SES has more to do with underachievement than does race.

But you are confusing the topic. We are discussing the phenonmenon of white privilege. It has nothing to do with academic underachievement. And, BTW, "acting black" is a phrase that is as racially offensive as is "acting white".

Please object that to Obama, not me, on when black students who deliberately underachieve in order to maintain their social status among their peers.
When I was in school (1956-69), the black students were among the high achievers. Their parents wanted them to have a better life. Their goals were a college education and a profession.

"Privileged" group? Maybe the "cool" group but I don't think they are "privileged."

When I was in school (1956-69), the black students were among the high achievers. Their parents wanted them to have a better life. Their goals were a college education and a profession.

And according to the latest data, that holds true today for the vast majority of African American families. "Underachiever" is an unfortunate stereotype that is less than accurrate.

Which is actually a very good example of white privilege in action. It is generally assumed that black children are underachieving at a greater rate than are white children. That stereotypical assumption ends in assumption (mistaken though it is) to differences in expectations, and consequently, treatment.

At my sons middle school Honor Society, there are about "even" blacks & whites....even I was "surprised". It's a good feeling, tho'. And a proud achievement to their parents also (and to themselves).

I do remmy years ago, when this mixed couple had a baby, and when the nurse brought in the paperwork for them to fill out, the husband asked her..."what do I write down for the baby....black or white...or what>?"....The wife said, put down White.

I must have showed some concern or whatever...because the baby "looked more black than white"....and she said. We're gonna put down "white"....because the baby would "have a better chance in life."....That was her opinion.....She "acted white", did not socialize with blacks at all, even tho her parents (from Canada) were both black & white.

And, too...one of my neighbors, who is black, had a cook out at his house. And it was all whites, no blacks.....go figure!

"Privileged" group? Maybe the "cool" group but I don't think they are "privileged."

It's also seen as a "privilege" for those that "qualify." It's not something that's automatic. More of like you "earning" your way in to become a part of that "in crowd." So, yeah, to fit into a "cool" group works well, too.

And according to the latest data, that holds true today for the vast majority of African American families. "Underachiever" is an unfortunate stereotype that is less than accurrate.

Which is actually a very good example of white privilege in action. It is generally assumed that black children are underachieving at a greater rate than are white children. That stereotypical assumption ends in assumption (mistaken though it is) to differences in expectations, and consequently, treatment.

I like to see that "latest data."

At my sons middle school Honor Society, there are about "even" blacks & whites....even I was "surprised". It's a good feeling, tho'. And a proud achievement to their parents also (and to themselves).

I do remmy years ago, when this mixed couple had a baby, and when the nurse brought in the paperwork for them to fill out, the husband asked her..."what do I write down for the baby....black or white...or what>?"....The wife said, put down White.

I must have showed some concern or whatever...because the baby "looked more black than white"....and she said. We're gonna put down "white"....because the baby would "have a better chance in life."....That was her opinion.....She "acted white", did not socialize with blacks at all, even tho her parents (from Canada) were both black & white.

And, too...one of my neighbors, who is black, had a cook out at his house. And it was all whites, no blacks.....go figure!

Those are good examples of the consequences of white privilege.

I like to see that "latest data."

As I've told you, it is readily available. You have also been referred to several volumes that will serve to provide you with information. Simply saying "I'd like to see that data." is not sufficient. You must make the effort to access it. Otherwise, you don't truly want to see it.

CJB, that may be the case about the grades thing but it may also be that they do not want to be perceived as "acting white."

“Acting White” : Education Next

That link has an exellent read on the very vexing subject of "acting white" on how this was done using surveys and such.

It has much more to with that than just acting white. In fact a lot of people of color who "act white" benefit from psychological white privilege--the idea that most white people feel more comfortable around people of color that are "non-violent and well-spoken." Obama is a prime example. I've been in situations where there was a black person present for example, and people were making fun of black culture, because in their minds they had actually forgotten that there is a black person in the room. They had gotten so caught up in the black person's culturally "white" behaviors.

The child-rearing disadvantages I'm talking about are different from just acting white. They have to do more with the figuaritve chais that many memers of the African-American community still live with today, the idea that the world is a place of crushed dreams, financial restrictions, and so on. Many black families are quicker to use corporal punishment, a residual effect of slavery when slaves couldn't afford to have their children misbehave in the slightest in front of slave masters. The higher percentage of teen pregnancy among black women compared to the percentage among white women is indicative of the cultural norm to bear children at a younger-age, which also points to a less education-oriented culture. Those are just some of many examples.

As I've told you, it is readily available. You have also been referred to several volumes that will serve to provide you with information. Simply saying "I'd like to see that data." is not sufficient. You must make the effort to access it. Otherwise, you don't truly want to see it.

Link(s) please since you are making the claim.

oye! what's going on.... *catching up from post #1*

:zzz:

It's also seen as a "privilege" for those that "qualify." It's not something that's automatic. More of like you "earning" your way in to become a part of that "in crowd." So, yeah, to fit into a "cool" group works well, too.

Actually, this has nothing to do with the concept of white privilege. You are now talking in group variances.

That is a prime example of the figurative chains many members of the black community still live with today.

Link(s) please since you are making the claim.

I've told you where to find it, koko. Be responsible for accessing that for which you seek answers. I have quoted no specific study, and therefore, am not obligated to provide any links or citations.

That is a prime example of the figurative chains many members of the black community still live with today.

Exactly. There appears to be some confusion here between the concept of white privilege and stereotyping.

It has much more to with that than just acting white. In fact a lot of people of color who "act white" benefit from psychological white privilege--the idea that most white people feel more comfortable around people of color that are "non-violent and well-spoken." Obama is a prime example. I've been in situations where there was a black person present for example, and people were making fun of black culture, because in their minds they had actually forgotten that there is a black person in the room. They had gotten so caught up in the black person's culturally "white" behaviors.

The child-rearing disadvantages I'm talking about are different from just acting white. They have to do more with the figuaritve chais that many memers of the African-American community still live with today, the idea that the world is a place of crushed dreams, financial restrictions, and so on. Many black families are quicker to use corporal punishment, a residual effect of slavery when slaves couldn't afford to have their children misbehave in the slightest in front of slave masters. The higher percentage of teen pregnancy among black women compared to the percentage among white women is indicative of the cultural norm to bear children at a younger-age, which also points to a less education-oriented culture. Those are just some of many examples.

Agree. We have these obvious and not so obvious reasons. It becomes a rather convoluted exercise.

Agree. We have these obvious and not so obvious reasons. It becomes a rather convoluted exercise.

Not so obvious to the people not experiencing them. Painfully obvious to the people who are targets of such social phenomena.

Back