Pick one

• Deaf/deaf/hoh world

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Hearing world

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • explains anything

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
What do hearing people have to offer? Are they generally willing to learn ASL? I don't think so, and what do I think they have to offer for Deaf people? "FIX THEM or else" Like trying to invent CI, trying to set up oral only Deaf school, and so on? Is that what they offer?

We the Deaf people wanted is some damn respect and not treating Deaf as dumb. What I mean is, I rather hearing Hearing people discover Deaf person and said, oh cool! never heard of that, and become curious and open mind than running amok and screaming "Im so sorry your Deaf"

Hearing people often offers sympathy for Deaf, do you expect us to accept and needed these kind of pity? Hell F... NO! These hearing people are sick, period!

I'm getting my associates in ASL interpretation this year and then on to my bachelors. I hope to assist deaf and/or HOH kids who can only afford mainstream schools or who's parents for whatever reason chose not to send them to a specialty deaf school. I'm not sure if I want to go that route with it or medically. Interpreting for sick or injured hospital and doctor's office patients. I would never encourage anyone to have a CI unless for some reason they really wanted to try it. I hate the idea of it being done to babies by hearing parents when they're too young to have a say. I know a deaf man whom wanted to hear his mother's voice and got a CI he only had it a month though before having it removed because the noise bothered him. I also would never encourage oral communication only being taught to deaf people. If they want to learn cool, the more you know about anything is good I guess. "Knowledge is power" etc. I personally love ASL though. More of my friends are deaf or severely HOH than hearing these days and I really appreciate the culture of communication in particular. It's a lot more direct, open and honest than most hearing/talking conversations when you're getting to know someone. I'm hearing, I don't pity any of my deaf friends I know they're capable and equally intelligent as a hearing person some hearing people have high or low IQs I believe that's the same with deaf people. A male deaf friend had to tutor me through math last year actually, that's my worst subject.. he's pretty much good at all subjects haha. Sometimes I have questions about certain cultural aspects, less now than I did 2 years or so ago but still I try and always ask in a polite and respectful way. I know several other hearing people that are learning ASL for different reasons also. Gallaudet University is 50% hearing and 50% deaf or HOH. That's where I hope to get my bachelors from. I don't think we're all bad. :)

I'm getting my associates in ASL interpretation this year and then on to my bachelors. I hope to assist deaf and/or HOH kids who can only afford mainstream schools or who's parents for whatever reason chose not to send them to a specialty deaf school. I'm not sure if I want to go that route with it or medically. Interpreting for sick or injured hospital and doctor's office patients. I would never encourage anyone to have a CI unless for some reason they really wanted to try it. I hate the idea of it being done to babies by hearing parents when they're too young to have a say. I know a deaf man whom wanted to hear his mother's voice and got a CI he only had it a month though before having it removed because the noise bothered him. I also would never encourage oral communication only being taught to deaf people. If they want to learn cool, the more you know about anything is good I guess. "Knowledge is power" etc. I personally love ASL though. More of my friends are deaf or severely HOH than hearing these days and I really appreciate the culture of communication in particular. It's a lot more direct, open and honest than most hearing/talking conversations when you're getting to know someone. I'm hearing, I don't pity any of my deaf friends I know they're capable and equally intelligent as a hearing person some hearing people have high or low IQs I believe that's the same with deaf people. A male deaf friend had to tutor me through math last year actually, that's my worst subject.. he's pretty much good at all subjects haha. Sometimes I have questions about certain cultural aspects, less now than I did 2 years or so ago but still I try and always ask in a polite and respectful way. I know several other hearing people that are learning ASL for different reasons also. Gallaudet University is 50% hearing and 50% deaf or HOH. That's where I hope to get my bachelors from. I don't think we're all bad. :)
Only up to 5% of any entering class can be hearing according to Gallaudet's rules.

When I spoke to an admissions administrator she said the student population was close to 50/50 hearing and non. I'm sure it's a lot harder and more selective to be accepted as a hearing person though.. oh well, I can hope :)

Back