Pick one

• Deaf/deaf/hoh world

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Hearing world

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • explains anything

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
Vacationguy234 READ red font and be prepared to be humiliated.

Only few times, I had actually fantasizing that I was one of few Evil Deaf scientists happened to discover the virus that would wipe out the world of sounds, making everything soundless, and it spread real fast but not overnight. We were the only ones that got antidote reserved for hearing people who have heart of Deaf world and interpreters. During that time, Deaf people said to the world "See what we are talking about? Wake up!" Hearing people were forced to give up the audism and figured out how to live without the world of sounds.

Sit back and watch the show how freak out they are, and how dumbass they are when they can't handle without sounds, and pondering why they complaining of all noises while they were able to hear.

Dream about it. Those are people who have sons, daughters and friends who are deaf without the capital D. They are people who care and it's not because of some small group that they are doing it.

There are too many deaf without the capital D too. you silly!

Right! Looks like you read it carefully and know what antidote means.

you're talking about wrong hearing people. that's a bunch of good people up there who understood us and learned ASL to communicate with us but that's not who we're referring to.

Dream about it.
about what?

Those are people who have sons, daughters and friends who are deaf without the capital D. They are people who care and it's not because of some small group that they are doing it.
what? we don't have any problem with them. and that's not who we're referring to either.

Deaf_Power_by_flamefox101.jpg

Count me in!

It always comes back to this with the Deaf Community. It's never about bringing people together. The people never do anything to further better relations.

Your comment towards DHB about him sharing his dream even though he knew it wasn't serious didn't help bring good relations between Deaf and hearing people. U offended him. If u didn't like it, u can put him on ignore but all of us have the right to express our dreams and not feel threatened.

I go for the Deaf community and the Deaf Culture, too. I am so comfortable to talk with them in signs. I hate hearing people forcing us to be like them and not have the accommodations in mainstream schools and other public places.

ASL rocks. :rockon:

I created the thread here to see how many of you who are comfortable with hearing world or not. I notice that some of you talk about trying to be able to hear. It confuses me that the poll shows that any kind of hearing loss are high percent. Im lost as to why some of you who don't want to learn ASL or ask for some feedback about ASL or or willing to be open minded about Deaf culture. That is the whole point.

Ah, this make it more clear what you were asking.

A: Hearing people who suffer significant hearing loss are often in some level of denial.
B: don't see a benefit to learning ASL because their friends and family will not make the effort to learn it too.
C: don't have or want to develop new Deaf friends that will make them feel more "disabled" by being a constant reminder they can no longer hear, hence why they are now using ASL to talk to someone else...
D: people fear the unknown.
E: All of the above!

This is also why we often see people with severe to profound hearing loss refer to themselves as hearing impaired or hard of hearing and deny that they are deaf...

A: Hearing people who suffer significant hearing loss are often in some level of denial.
B: don't see a benefit to learning ASL because their friends and family will not make the effort to learn it too.
C: don't have or want to develop new Deaf friends that will make them feel more "disabled" by being a constant reminder they can no longer hear, hence why they are now using ASL to talk to someone else...

This is also why we often see people with severe to profound hearing loss refer to themselves as hearing impaired or hard of hearing and deny that they are deaf...

Thank you for sharing here. That's what I am thinking the same thing.

There's certain people who in the hearing world who I enjoy and love very much and want to be with. Overall outside of forum with bigger world I'm very comfortable in the Deaf/deaf/hoh world and feel more natural in it than in only the hearing/Hearing world.

Ive learned from here and from hubby that many deaf people aren't exposed to the bigger d/Deaf world because of fears and ignorance of parents and "Experts". This is a kind of institutional oppression I think that leads to personal oppression. It's a vicious cycle. In order to break that, I think people can share like DHB brought up, and the beautiful artwork that Jiro found and put up.

Botti:D

A: I agree though I never denied I was losing my hearing. I accepted it as part of my life.
B: Had considered taking ASL with my husband & girls early on but didn't have the $$ or time. My youngest daughter & I just finished Step 5/6 (they combined the classes) this past spring. We use it some. She, being a lot younger, has a better time if it then I do (my fault because I don't practice).
C & D: I'm a bit uncomfortable in new situation & will hesitate doing new things.

I'm more "cozy" with the deaf community. Most of my friends are deaf but I do have some hearing friends.

I'm not really comfortable anywhere right now. I'm in some weird limbo between the two. I know enough sign to get by but I still sign slower than I'd like and I don't know anyone from the Deaf/HOH world yet (trying to work up the nerve to go to the events in my area) and I can hear enough to get by if I try hard enough but I still miss a lot from the Hearing world.

I just stay home and talk to my fish.

Which hearing or Deaf/deaf/hoh/Late deafened world did you notice that you feel so COZY to hang out with?

Pick one, unless you have an explanation.

Just vote.

It depends on the person, not their disability or lack of one. I'm comfortable with anyone I have things in common with.

Laura

Back