Which do you prefer for US travel? Airplane, bus, or Amtrak?

PHP:
I hate hate hate flying because it gives me vertigo but it's fastest.... I fly sparingly. I like trains when possible.

Me, too. What is vertigo? That's new to me.

Wirelessly posted

ohmylight said:
PHP:

Me, too. What is vertigo? That's new to me.

Bad motion sickness, basically. The spins.

Dizziness: Lightheadedness & Vertigo Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment

Along with panic attacks, I get very air sick.. Last time I flew was 15 years ago. I was so sick during the flight to New Jersey, I cried and cried dreading to fly back home. I am Like Mr T. on the A-Team. You will not get me to fly again unless I am knocked out.

The only thing I haven't tried is driving. It is my next plan with RV trailer behind me.

Best experience travel coast to coast...

Amtrak+Empire+Builder+at+Marias+Pass+MT.jpg

Best rail route is "Empire Builder", I would travel there AGAIN!

Worst is... Traveling on these dogs! NEVER again! Sometimes, they are more expensive than train!

Plane is alrighty, it is more expensive than train!

Sorry, my experience tend to shows it is CHEAPER to travel on rail!

Just curious, when you go on a train how do you handle transportation once you get off? Do you rent a car, walk, ride a bicycle or whatever?

In the US, I prefer driving. You can go anywhere you like and not stick to to any strict schedules. Highways are for the most part well maintained and serviced. Unless you go somewhere extremely remote, you don't have to worry about gas or food. I would love to travel in a class B RV one day.

Hate flying.

Not keen on busses either but at least they are good value.

AmTrek is great for short distance, but not long distance. Sleepers are so expensive and trains are frequently late. When I lived China, I absolutely loved long distance train traveling. Sleepers there were very comfortable and affordable.

I used to fly planes few times mostly going between from New Mexico and Minnesota when I was young. Planes are all right, not excellent. Then I went on trains going to Chicago getting back to New Mexico few times. Only problem when I stopped in Chicago I had to stay with a relative who lived in Chicago for a day and then boarded the train going to Albuquerque, New Mexico.

And then when I don't have a car, I used the Greyhound bus traveling to Ontario, Canada. When I was in Canada, I used the Greyhound buses a lot because they are cheaper to travel. When I have my car, I traveled a lot on the roads. So no problem.

I made it here in Santa Fe, New Mexico by car all the way from Ontario to New Mexico. I am glad that I am back here with family. :)

I wonder if Amtrak is wheelchair accessible.

Probably pull an RV like diehardbiker would be best for me, but I would like to try an Amtrak train.

Probably pull an RV like diehardbiker would be best for me, but I would like to try an Amtrak train.

They are accessible. Hope you get an opportunity to try it out sometime.

Some yes, I believe. You gotta contact Amtrak for more information.

Just curious, when you go on a train how do you handle transportation once you get off? Do you rent a car, walk, ride a bicycle or whatever?

I have family that picks me up, and I stay with them for the duration of my stay. If I were to head out of state for a vacation, I wouldn't know what to do or where to go, as I usually stay inside IL.

Amtrak is fun. In fact, I'm considering snapping holiday photos from each Amtrak stop on the Illini on the 20th. Keep an eye out for them on the 23rd or 24th.

The long distance trains have handicap bedrooms (one per sleeping car) and handicap bathrooms (one per car) plus areas for wheelchair passengers in coach.
The short distance (commuter trains) I've ridden in have an area on one end if each car for wheelchair passengers & handicap bathrooms.
Depending on the train & the platform, there are a number of ways to get a wheelchair person (or scooter) on the train.

The long distance trains have handicap bedrooms (one per sleeping car) and handicap bathrooms (one per car) plus areas for wheelchair passengers in coach.
The short distance (commuter trains) I've ridden in have an area on one end if each car for wheelchair passengers & handicap bathrooms.
Depending on the train & the platform, there are a number of ways to get a wheelchair person (or scooter) on the train.

The Illini doesn't have many agents working the stations, but I'm sure they keep the equipment on standby somehow, but I do know that Chicago Union Station, where I board the Illini at, has the equipment, and most likely Champaign, as well, as there are ticket agents there, but other than these two, I don't know too much about.

And the Metra DOES has equipment and a section for wheelchair people-- it's in a section for disabled people, and by federal law, if someone is in a wheelchair, the people sitting there must move. I can also ask them to move, as I am deaf, and have the right to sit in that section if I so choose.

lol, no. Im not in US, I'm in New Zealand, but seriously,
planes are ok but long as weather is good, bumpy rides are frightening as hell. Buses very cheap and how good bus trip depends on how good the driver is... trains because you get to see all the scenary but it is pricy over here so overall, I prefer planes

On Friday, our flight landing in New Orleans went through some serious turbulence due to thunderstorms in the area. My anxiety shot up! I was sooo happy when we touched ground. Then going back to Baltimore, we flew in a snowstorm.

To answer the OP's question...for long trips, planes because I prefer to minimize the time spent on traveling and more time to enjoy whatever destination we go to.

However, I don't like flying but I tolerate it.

The problem with traveling far by driving or by trains is that my husband and I both have full time jobs and we don't have the luxury of time to take more time off for traveling. When we plan our trips by driving (we have an RV), we choose destinations close to us or if we plan a destination that requires more than 8 hours of driving, we will fly.

Back