Which do you prefer for US travel? Airplane, bus, or Amtrak?

Boring.

Europe, Mexico, and Southwestern are more fun.

I hope to travel to Europe someday. I have traveled to several cities in the USA and to Mexico.

I know some people don't like public transportation, and some prefer to drive themselves, but if you didn't have a car, and you had limited options for travel, which would you take?

I take the CTA every now and then, but I mainly take the Metra, and as for long distance travel outside of IL (if I ever do it, that is), well, I can't fly, and I haven't ridden Greyhound in 25 years, so Amtrak would be the logical choice.

What about you? What's your choice for long-distance travel? Amtrak, bus, or airplane?

doesn't matter. any mode of transportation is fine with me. personally - I prefer to do it myself because I really enjoy the process of getting there by any means. that's why I'm slowly working to get certified in as many vehicles as I can.... plane, copter, boat, whatever.

I just returned back from Vermont skiing trip. 4 hours drive back to NYC.... dropping off friends in Brooklyn and south NJ... and then back home. about 6-7 hrs of drive. no problem. this summer - I rode my motorcycle to RIT (5 hrs) and Toronto (8 hrs).... and Boston last year - 3 hours.

couple years ago - I met up with daredevil (an ADer) and her friends for skiing trip in West Virginia... 8 hrs. the funniest part was driving on local road from highway to Snowshoe Mountain... it was 3 hours long and the last 1-2 hours of the drive was very gas-consuming process cuz I had to be on 4x4 mode since it was snowing pretty heavy and the mountain road was treacherous. I had to fill up twice during that period... dang 4x4 mode drained my tank pretty fast but it was a beautiful enjoyable moment :)

my truck currently has about 27,000 miles and it's only 2 years old. I've racked up probably 40,000+ miles total on motorcycle in 4 years.... could be a lot more if I live in area with all-year around weather. I'm a long-distance driver. I can tolerate probably maximum of 10 hours of driving a day. would be very nice if I have a car seat cooler....

The Illini doesn't have many agents working the stations, but I'm sure they keep the equipment on standby somehow, but I do know that Chicago Union Station, where I board the Illini at, has the equipment, and most likely Champaign, as well, as there are ticket agents there, but other than these two, I don't know too much about.

And the Metra DOES has equipment and a section for wheelchair people-- it's in a section for disabled people, and by federal law, if someone is in a wheelchair, the people sitting there must move. I can also ask them to move, as I am deaf, and have the right to sit in that section if I so choose.

Why would only being deaf give you that right?

I never traveled on Amtrak but did go on a train in Canada once.

I haven't flown since before 9/11 - just no money or ability to do that.

Used to take the bus every few months to go home when I was in college in a different part of the state. Greyhound, it was tedious but ok. I used to love going on planes when I traveled with my parents more.

Guess they all have the goods and bads-

Because they have two sections clearly labled saying senior citizens and/or disabled people have the right to ask to sit there. It's the law.

I was told (when frustrated with parking at my old college) that being deaf qualifies me for the handicapped parking. I would feel so guilty taking that spot, as with taking the spot of someone with mobility problems or very pregnant women even knowing that I can run as far as I do, that I am very fit, but qualify for special seating or parking??

It's a case by case basis.... just because you're deaf doesn't mean you're perfectly mobile either.... different types, I know that.

And the post below, rechargeable hearing aids? Mine are all battery :)

Because they have two sections clearly labled saying senior citizens and/or disabled people have the right to ask to sit there. It's the law.

Well that's really for those who have difficulties walking around such as missing a leg, paralyzed, etc....

Even though I'm deaf I don't need to park at the handicapped spot, get the idea?

I was told (when frustrated with parking at my old college) that being deaf qualifies me for the handicapped parking. I would feel so guilty taking that spot, as with taking the spot of someone with mobility problems or very pregnant women even knowing that I can run as far as I do, that I am very fit, but qualify for special seating or parking??

It's a case by case basis.... just because you're deaf doesn't mean you're perfectly mobile either.... different types, I know that.

The CVS downtown near CUS is selling rechargeable hearing aides. I saw them myself.

I think grummer was joking

Would you do it? Deaf Californians do not get to park their vehicles in HC spaces.......whatever on earth for?

Would you do it? Deaf Californians do not get to park their vehicles in HC spaces.......whatever on earth for?

I wasn't referring to driving. I was referring to public transportation. As for handicapped parking, it varies by state.

I never saw myself add having the right to sitting down when taking public transportation just because Iam deaf. in my view, those spots are for people with mobile issues, chronic pains, or the elderly who are obviously very weak.

I wasn't referring to driving. I was referring to public transportation.

He was trying to make a point by asking what would you do if you had a car. Would you seriously park in a handicapped spot just because you're deaf? I'm all about disability rights but that's just plain ridiculous!

I never saw myself add having the right to sitting down when taking public transportation just because Iam deaf. in my view, those spots are for people with mobile issues, chronic pains, or the elderly who are obviously very weak.

correct, mobility is not a d/Deaf issue.

and yes above i was joking about plugs for recharging lol

Oh, okay. Now I got it. For the handicapped parking, I would let those with wheelchair or severe mobility issue park in those spots.

As for public transportation, if a wheelchair person came on the bus or train, then of course I have to move-- it's common sense. Sorry for not being clear.

Oh, okay. Now I got it. For the handicapped parking, I would let those with wheelchair or severe mobility issue park in those spots.

As for public transportation, if a wheelchair person came on the bus or train, then of course I have to move-- it's common sense. Sorry for not being clear.

Yeah but you're talking about making people that have no disability move, it's still abusing it. For those of us with strictly hearing problem it's probably pretty safe to say it would never occur to us to sit in the disability section.

And pssst you didn't see rechargeable hearing aids for sale at CVS :roll:

Back