When expecting a child, would you want it to be deaf?

There will always be abuses. But it is extremely difficult to abuse the Social Security system. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but there are too amny safequards in place for it to happen frequently. I agree with you. I would go so far as to say that I know of at least one individual that deserved the SSDI that he had applied for, was turned down 3 times, eventually had to sue, and after medical testimony from several doctors and rehab counselors, finally received his award. But he was unable to work for 3 years with no income before he was given his award. The reason it was so hard for him to collect.....he was only 48 years old, and they automatically turn down any application for a person under 50. However, he had several heart attacks, and has a pacemaker/defibrillator, takes several medications. Despite that, he continued to work until his defibrillator began to go off on a regular basis, causing him to become unconscious. The last time it happened, he ended up in the ER with a gash to his head that required 17 stitches. His doctor ordered him to give up driving, and to apply for SSDI, due to several other limitations in what he could safely do. Despite that fact that he had worked steadily since he was 16, and had paid into the system for 32 years, he had to sue to get approved. My whole point is, the vast majority of those receiving SSI or SSDI are well qualified to be receiving that minimal amount of assistance.

I agree with you. It does not stop others from trying to get it. My dad had an early warning stroke at 57. He had to fight for his disability. He was in a wheelchair unable to work or even move one side, but they had to sue for it.

Do you think people make this generalization about SSI because of maybe one person they know gets it or they can't get SSI?

To me there is a big differences between handicapped and a disability. I don't see myself as handicapped. .....
:sure:
"if someone is not disabled then they should not have SSI.!"

(do you see yourself as disabled?)

Right, I do see myself as a disabled but as a handicapped ? no

Cloggy you're not deaf so its easy for you to sit here and label us.

Wow you really got me on that one. I see my hearing loss as a disability. I don't think of myself as disabled.

I have a skill, I have a degree, I do have a career. I guess that empowers me. I also am independent. I felt this way with HA and I feel more so with my CIs.

Thats true, but you had to have meet this mom. Oh my, she was in a get rich quick. She thought of everything. Of course even when we said that to her, just like you are saying - it takes more than to act dumb. She just moved them from school to school. What is sad is the children in that terrible household.

There are those parents out there, I know. IMO, chidlren's services need to become involved in these sort of cases.

Wow you really got me on that one. I see my hearing loss as a disability. I don't think of myself as disabled.

I have a skill, I have a degree, I do have a career. I guess that empowers me. I also am independent. I felt this way with HA and I feel more so with my CIs.

Agree with you on that one, vallee. Having a disability and being disabled are two different concepts. Being disabled means that you allow your disability to place obstacles in your way that prevent you from achieving. Obviously, you have not done that. Therefore, you are not disabled, even though you have a disability.

There are those parents out there, I know. IMO, chidlren's services need to become involved in these sort of cases.

been there done that - Very difficult to take children away from families. Every year I have at least 4 to 5 class to children's services. I only have had one children removed and that was a sexual abuse case. ( I teach in a very low income school, we have upward 67% free and reduce lunch so we are a title one school). This is the first year I have not had a call to children's services.

I agree with you. It does not stop others from trying to get it. My dad had an early warning stroke at 57. He had to fight for his disability. He was in a wheelchair unable to work or even move one side, but they had to sue for it.

Do you think people make this generalization about SSI because of maybe one person they know gets it or they can't get SSI?

They perhaps know of one person who collects SSI, and they don't know the difference between SSI and SSDI, nor the criteria to qualify, and think that SSI and SSDI are some sort of government support like welfare programs. I find it funny that those who work all their life certainly do not turn down their SSA payments when they retire. They feel entitled to it because they paid into the system by working. Well, disabled individuals that collect SSDI have also paid into the system, and receive benefits based on that amount. They simply receive their benefits earlier because they are unable to continue to work. It is the same as taking an early medical retirement. So I certainly don't understand all of the criticism.

And SSI is not a lifelong payment, but a temporary supplement allowing those with a disability to become independent and sef sufficient in order that they will not need to rely on assistance such as welfare programs. So I don't understand the generalizations made about SSI, either.

been there done that - Very difficult to take children away from families. Every year I have at least 4 to 5 class to children's services. I only have had one children removed and that was a sexual abuse case. ( I teach in a very low income school, we have upward 67% free and reduce lunch so we are a title one school). This is the first year I have not had a call to children's services.

Yeah, I know. It is very difficult to have a child removed because Children's Services has the mission of keeping families together if at all possible. But referral in a case like this can at least result in the parent being monitored and madated through legal channels to attend parenting classes, etc. Not exactly a solution, but its better than nothing.

Wasn't out to "get you". :cool:
I was expecting that kind of answer. It is how I look at my daughter.

Thanks researcher :)

I wonder how many are children?

Kaitlin comes through again!

Oh, and just because a child is deaf does not mean that they automatically qualify for SSI. Once again, the parents' combined income has to be in the lower SES category. So I would venture to say that the number of deaf children receiving SSI is not proportionate to the actual number of deaf children in the U.S.

As for me.. I have no preference. I wasn't born deaf so I feel that in the future my children will be hearing or deaf it all depends on the male genes who I marry and his family history.

As for SSI, I would rather to work than to sit at home collecting from the government. That's way I feel.

When expecting a child, would you want it to be deaf?

It doesn't really matter. Once this child is born... that's it and it will tell me what this child have. I will always love this child unconditionally... no matter, whether this child be deaf or hearin'. This child is MY blood and flesh and I will always accept this child. A child is a gift from LOVE in despite of " what ".

What about you, Cloggy ? When you expect a child, would YOU want this child to be deaf ? ( FYI, please do not call a deaf child " it " ... ok ? :ty: )

What if, LOVE give you a deaf child when expectin' a child - what are you gonna do with this deaf child that is born from the mother ( be it your gf/or wife ) ? There's neeever a " want ". There's always " happen ". Sooo...it's why I said earlier in this post that I will always accept this deaf child if, there's happen, not a want. Love decide, not you or me or anyone. ;)

I see the same about my hearing loss too.

Wasn't out to "get you". :cool:
I was expecting that kind of answer. It is how I look at my daughter.

I know Cloggy!

My mom always said I have choice how to raise you - one to be handicapped or two to use your ability not your disability.

One thing you and jillio have agreed on is you both are/have raised your children not to be handicapped. You might not agree on the ways to raise your children, but each parent is different. So hats off to the two of you for not looking at your children's disability as an inability.

In any program, people abuse the system. Also in any program, people who need it, get it and make the best of it. We can't make generalizations that all deaf/HOH people do this.

That's correct, Look at that line where vallee said will you, Lantana.

Good post again, vallee. ;)

As for SSI, I would rather to work than to sit at home collecting from the government. That's way I feel.

One does not "sit at home" while collecting SSI. If you will see the explanations provided elsewhere in this forum, unless you are a child who receives SSI payments through age 18, then you must either be a full time student or training for a job, or be employed at least part time while looking for full time employment. SSI is temporary assistance.

Back