When expecting a child, would you want it to be deaf?

I agree with Cloggy. There are people who turn every conversation into something about THEM.

Let's leave personal generalizations out when we can and use some common sense.

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. ' While people MY age always worked, no matter what, and supported their families the best they could. Why? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SSI IN THOSE DAYS.

If you want deaf children, fine, make them. But please do not hand them to the tax payers to support!

Lantana

I dont live off on SSI...I have a full time job and I pay my taxes so your point is????

This is without a doubt the most innaccurate and bigoted comment made for quite some time. If you are going to make accusations such as that, you certainly need to be prepared to back them up with statistics and citations.
Jillio, can you back up your statement "This is without a doubt the most innaccurate and bigoted comment made for quite some time" with statistics and citations?

Jillio, can you back up your statement "This is without a doubt the most innaccurate and bigoted comment made for quite some time" with statistics and citations?

If all deaf people were living off on SSI now, then my coworkers and I wouldnt be working now. What more statistics do u need?

I found the statement upseting. I fill out a lot of paperwork for children getting SSI and all have development disabilities and they need the assistances.

Jillio, can you back up your statement "This is without a doubt the most innaccurate and bigoted comment made for quite some time" with statistics and citations?[/QUOTE

I can most certainly back it up through statistics, and those statistics are readily available from the Social Security Administration. But we are talking government assistance that is specific to the U.S. so you are simply jumping into an argument for arguments' sake.

And to say that all deaf people are living off of government funds is absolutely a bigoted comment. It speaks for itself. And, its innacurracy is obvious.

Additionally, it is not my postion to disprove the claims that another has made. Lantana made the claims, it is up to Lantana to support them.

I found the statement upseting. I fill out a lot of paperwork for children getting SSI and all have development disabilities and they need the assistances.

Absolutely, vallee. My son has never recieved a penny of SSI, nor SSDI.

I agree with Cloggy. There are people who turn every conversation into something about THEM.

Let's leave personal generalizations out when we can and use some common sense.

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. ' While people MY age always worked, no matter what, and supported their families the best they could. Why? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SSI IN THOSE DAYS.

If you want deaf children, fine, make them. But please do not hand them to the tax payers to support!

Lantana
The deaf person is not the only one have SSI too hearing person have SSI too

Point is: if someone is not handicapped then they should not have SSI.!

Well, there are many able bodied and able minded people collecting welfare. Sure, some deaf people abuse the SSI and SSDI system and I dont agree with it. However, what Latanta said that today's deaf people lives at the government's expense is a blatant lie.

Well, there are many able bodied and able minded people collecting welfare. Sure, some deaf people abuse the SSI and SSDI system and I dont agree with it. However, what Latanta said that today's deaf people lives at the government's expense is a blatant lie.

No,
what Lantana ment was that when a d/Deaf person says that deafness is not a disability, that he/she is not disabled, then he/she should not use the SSI/SSDI system.

Excuse me, cloggy, but SSI and SSDI require documentation of "disability that intereferes with one or more of life activities." SSI is Supplemental Security Income, and is temporary assistance that allows one with a disability to train for employment, and to receive income while they train. As it is a temporary assistance designed to gain and maintain employment in the disabled population, one does not need to pay into the system in order to qualify (i.e. awards made to children with disabilities to insure that they are educated and receive additional services allowing for them to become productive adults.) However, it is temporary, and no one "lives off of "SSI for a lifetime.

SSDI Social Security Disablility Income and one must have worked and paid into the system in order to qualify for benefits. It is only used in cases of severe disability when working would create a situation of making the disabiltiy worse. Few under the age of 50 qualify for SSDI, and even if they did, their limited payments into the system via paychecks would limit the amount that they can draw. Payments are made in an amount determined by the amount that has been contributed over a period of time. One must go through numerous medical exams, and legal hearings in order to qualify. The average payment made through SSDI to disabled individuals is less than $700.00 a month.....hardly enough to allow one to live with necessities, let alone any form of luxury.

And the terminolgy used here in the states is "disability", not "handicap".

To me there is a big differences between handicapped and a disability. I don't see myself as handicapped.

I have a step-sister who gets SSI and she has seizures from years of drug uses. She also moved from New Jeresy to Tennessee because of Tennessee's insurance (TennCare). That is someone who abuses the system.

I helped a family this last year get SSI for their son who is mentally retarded. They need the assistances so they can provide a good home for him. This family did not know that they had an option.

on the other hand

I also had a family years ago that had 9 children. The mom was teaching her children to act "dumb" so they can get tested for Special education and get SSI. She would come daily to ask if I would get her test so she could get her money. None of them are deaf or HOH. That is an abuse of the system.

In any program, people abuse the system. Also in any program, people who need it, get it and make the best of it. We can't make generalizations that all deaf/HOH people do this.

some hearing people who is not a disabity or hasnoicap do collcet SSI
some people who is on drugs or alcoholic do collect SSI

some hearing people who is not a disabity or hasnoicap do collcet SSI
some people who is on drugs or alcoholic do collect SSI

If someone has a history of drug or alcohol addiction, they can collect SSI while they are undergoing addiction treatment. However, if they are currently using alcohol or drugs, they cannot collect SSI. The SSI is provided only during the time that they are undergoing rehabilitation and return to work training. And as alcohol and drug addiction is considered to be a disease, and it does affect one or more of life's functions as determined by SS criteria, it is also considered to be a disability.

If anyone who does not have a disability is collecting SSI, they have managed to completely hoodwink the medical doctors, the rehabilitation counselors, the psychologists, and the legal system. You can't just go in and say, I have a disability" and collect money. You have to have documentation from several sources. People can apply at any time and for any reason, but to receive an award, documentation must be provided proving disability. And many more people are turned down at the application level than go on to receive an award.

To me there is a big differences between handicapped and a disability. I don't see myself as handicapped.

I have a step-sister who gets SSI and she has seizures from years of drug uses. She also moved from New Jeresy to Tennessee because of Tennessee's insurance (TennCare). That is someone who abuses the system.

I helped a family this last year get SSI for their son who is mentally retarded. They need the assistances so they can provide a good home for him. This family did not know that they had an option.

on the other hand

I also had a family years ago that had 9 children. The mom was teaching her children to act "dumb" so they can get tested for Special education and get SSI. She would come daily to ask if I would get her test so she could get her money. None of them are deaf or HOH. That is an abuse of the system.

In any program, people abuse the system. Also in any program, people who need it, get it and make the best of it. We can't make generalizations that all deaf/HOH people do this.

It would take more than a kid acting "dumb" to receive an SSI award.

If someone has a history of drug or alcohol addiction, they can collect SSI while they are undergoing addiction treatment. However, if they are currently using alcohol or drugs, they cannot collect SSI. The SSI is provided only during the time that they are undergoing rehabilitation and return to work training. And as alcohol and drug addiction is considered to be a disease, and it does affect one or more of life's functions as determined by SS criteria, it is also considered to be a disability.

If anyone who does not have a disability is collecting SSI, they have managed to completely hoodwink the medical doctors, the rehabilitation counselors, the psychologists, and the legal system. You can't just go in and say, I have a disability" and collect money. You have to have documentation from several sources. People can apply at any time and for any reason, but to receive an award, documentation must be provided proving disability. And many more people are turned down at the application level than go on to receive an award.

That is true, but in all programs, there are people who abuse it. I do believe that the majority really need it and it is there for them.

It would take more than a kid acting "dumb" to receive an SSI award.

Thats true, but you had to have meet this mom. Oh my, she was in a get rich quick. She thought of everything. Of course even when we said that to her, just like you are saying - it takes more than to act dumb. She just moved them from school to school. What is sad is the children in that terrible household.

OK i understand that, I hate when some people think deaf person always collect SSI it not ture some are look for job and some job out there don't wants to work with deaf person

That is true, but in all programs, there are people who abuse it. I do believe that the majority really need it and it is there for them.

There will always be abuses. But it is extremely difficult to abuse the Social Security system. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but there are too amny safequards in place for it to happen frequently. I agree with you. I would go so far as to say that I know of at least one individual that deserved the SSDI that he had applied for, was turned down 3 times, eventually had to sue, and after medical testimony from several doctors and rehab counselors, finally received his award. But he was unable to work for 3 years with no income before he was given his award. The reason it was so hard for him to collect.....he was only 48 years old, and they automatically turn down any application for a person under 50. However, he had several heart attacks, and has a pacemaker/defibrillator, takes several medications. Despite that, he continued to work until his defibrillator began to go off on a regular basis, causing him to become unconscious. The last time it happened, he ended up in the ER with a gash to his head that required 17 stitches. His doctor ordered him to give up driving, and to apply for SSDI, due to several other limitations in what he could safely do. Despite that fact that he had worked steadily since he was 16, and had paid into the system for 32 years, he had to sue to get approved. My whole point is, the vast majority of those receiving SSI or SSDI are well qualified to be receiving that minimal amount of assistance.

OK i understand that, I hate when some people think deaf person always collect SSI it not ture some are look for job and some job out there don't wants to work with deaf person

I agree with you.

Back