When expecting a child, would you want it to be deaf?

I wouldn't want kids but if I did I would be happy to have a deaf child or a blind child.

I wouldn't want kids but if I did I would be happy to have a deaf child or a blind child.

Same here. While chidren are not in my immediate future, I wouldn't be opposed to having a deaf, blind or deafblind child.

Deaf Child By Choice ?

If you had a hairlip and a cleft palate would you want your child to have the same?

Why purposely breed for imperfect children? So that the whole family can live off of SSI and Welfare?

I can understand ADOPTING an imperfect child, they certainly need the love and security that we have to offer, but to purposely plan and target a child to be deaf? No! Utter stupidity to suggest it.

IF I gave birth to a deaf child, or IF my own children did, or even my great grandchildren did, they would be accepted with love and understanding. But I would not WISH deafness on anyone!

Lantana

If you had a hairlip and a cleft palate would you want your child to have the same?

Why purposely breed for imperfect children? So that the whole family can live off of SSI and Welfare?

I can understand ADOPTING an imperfect child, they certainly need the love and security that we have to offer, but to purposely plan and target a child to be deaf? No! Utter stupidity to suggest it.

IF I gave birth to a deaf child, or IF my own children did, or even my great grandchildren did, they would be accepted with love and understanding. But I would not WISH deafness on anyone!

Lantana

I personally don't see deaf chidlren as imperfect. And then to imply that Deaf families all live off of welfare and SSI is absolutely absurd. Are you being intentionall insulting, or do you just have a problem with pragmatics?

Well, if being deaf is NOT being imperfect, then a few million deaf people should NOT be on Disability.

Lantana

Perhaps:
"If being deaf is NOT a disability, then a few million deaf people should NOT be on Disability."

Well, if being deaf is NOT being imperfect, then a few million deaf people should NOT be on Disability.

Lantana

So hearing people are perfect? And disability is not an imperfection....it is a disability. Your phrasing implies that without the disability, perfection has been achieved. I find that disturbing, in particular for the message it gives to a disabled child.

And, exactly where do you get yoru figures regarding "a few million deaf people" and disability payments. Exactly what kind of disability payments are you talking about? And where do your figures come from?

Perhaps:
"If being deaf is NOT a disability, then a few million deaf people should NOT be on Disability."

I never said it wasn't considered a disabiltiy....what I said was it did not make a child "imperfect." As the parent of a deaf child, do you consider your deaf daughter to be imperfect and your hearing children to be perfect?

Think about what you are responding to cloggy, rather than just jumping in because you see my name pon the post.

I never said it wasn't considered a disabiltiy....what I said was it did not make a child "imperfect." As the parent of a deaf child, do you consider your deaf daughter to be imperfect and your hearing children to be perfect?

Think about what you are responding to cloggy, rather than just jumping in because you see my name pon the post.
I wasn't responding to you, it was in responsed to Lantana's post.

You might have the idea that everything is about you... in the real world, it is NOT!

No apology expected..

I wasn't responding to you, it was in responsed to Lantana's post.

You might have the idea that everything is about you... in the real world, it is NOT!

No apology expected..

None offered. And once again, you manage not to answer questions.

Why purposely breed for imperfect children?
So that the whole family can live off of SSI and Welfare?

Lantana

Whoa!!! deaf children are imperfect??? :jaw:

Lantana

Hearing people are imperfection too, have you noticed there's some hearing people with disabilities. there's learning disability, there's reading disability, I could go on but I'm sure you got my point. Let's not forget there's some hearing people on welfare.

no one is perfect in this entire world, Lantana.

It took 8 years for my husband and I to have our wonderful daughter. I remember in-laws asking could my child be deaf/HOH. They were very worried about it, to the point that I refused to see them or have them at my house. My husband and I stated it did not matter because our child would be loved no matter if she had health issues or hearing issues. She was perfect to us and she is.

A child is a gift from God- each and every child. And everyday I look into the my child's eyes and thank God for allowing me the joy of being her mom. It would not matter if she was deaf/hoh or not.

It took 8 years for my husband and I to have our wonderful daughter. I remember in-laws asking could my child be deaf/HOH. They were very worried about it, to the point that I refused to see them or have them at my house. My husband and I stated it did not matter because our child would be loved no matter if she had health issues or hearing issues. She was perfect to us and she is.

A child is a gift from God- each and every child. And everyday I look into the my child's eyes and thank God for allowing me the joy of being her mom. It would not matter if she was deaf/hoh or not.

Beautifully said. :thumb:

Dont blame u. I remember when my mom was with her ex boyfriend and she was pregnant with my 2nd brother. I was 16 at the time. I remember him badgering my mom about how the baby better not be deaf like my brother and I are. He just kept going on and on about it and I remember feeling this worse shame about myself cuz I thought that was all how hearing people saw us, deaf people. It was awful. I am sure he made my mom feel like crap too.

Dont blame u. I remember when my mom was with her ex boyfriend and she was pregnant with my 2nd brother. I was 16 at the time. I remember him badgering my mom about how the baby better not be deaf like my brother and I are. He just kept going on and on about it and I remember feeling this worse shame about myself cuz I thought that was all how hearing people saw us, deaf people. It was awful. I am sure he made my mom feel like crap too.

My mom was the same way, in fact after my first child was born, she had a nerve to call in the hospital to ask if her grandson was either deaf or hearing, and if he was deaf then she wasn't gonna come, she wanted the doctor to do a hearing test before she comes to the hospital to see her grandson. :(

I agree with Cloggy. There are people who turn every conversation into something about THEM.

Let's leave personal generalizations out when we can and use some common sense.

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. ' While people MY age always worked, no matter what, and supported their families the best they could. Why? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SSI IN THOSE DAYS.

If you want deaf children, fine, make them. But please do not hand them to the tax payers to support!

Lantana

I agree with Cloggy. There are people who turn every conversation into something about THEM.

It GOES WITHOUT SAYING that today's deaf person lives at the goverment's expense. ' While people MY age always worked, no matter what, and supported their families the best they could. Why? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SSI IN THOSE DAYS.

If you want deaf children, fine, make them. But please do not hand them to the tax payers to support!

Lantana

All I can go on is my experiences, I have not had SSI. I work. I have private insurance and support my family. I went to college. so not all deaf people live at the governments expenses.

there are many people in need of government assistances, it was created to assist.

Lantana

This is without a doubt the most innaccurate and bigoted comment made for quite some time. If you are going to make accusations such as that, you certainly need to be prepared to back them up with statistics and citations.

All I can go on is my experiences, I have not had SSI. I work. I have private insurance and support my family. I went to college. so not all deaf people live at the governments expenses.

there are many people in need of government assistances, it was created to assist.

Exactly. In fact, the vast majority of those who receive disability disbursements in the form of SSI or SSDI are not deaf.

Back