What's your dinner tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the farmer's market
last weekend I went to what i thought was the site of our relatively new Winter Market and the place was hosting a musky presentation instead:(
well, maybe this weekend...

as a kid in my family we ate lots of kosher dills, yum! So we had pickle jars scattered about - very good for my "Monarch-raising" efforts.
that's a good deal for a dollar, Mrs. Bucket!

never did get my coffee:lol:

We go to our local Farmer's Emporium Farmer's Market and they have the quart size plastic jars of sour and half-sour jumbo pickles. There are about 5 pickles in the jar for $2.49. They also have pickled carrots, cauliflower and onions in the same size for the same price. There is also a whole section of foods specially prepared for the Jewish population here. They retire down here and so there is a lot for them to choose from.

Tonight, I am making sweet turkey sausage with sauteed onions and peppers, pasta and peas.

that looks like something I could try making for my hubby, Kristina.
how do you prepare it?

that looks like something I could try making for my hubby, Kristina.
how do you prepare it?

The turkey sausage is from Jennie-O and I just cook it like the package says, then I add the sliced onion and peppers with my Smart Balance butter and some soy sauce, or balsamic vinegar or even Worcestershire sauce. Serve the sausage and veggies over the pasta. Make sure there is enough sauce and if you want, thicken with corn starch and orange juice.

I'm having broiled lamp chops with mashed potaoes, salad and carrots.

Pizza. I have a dairy-free one and the family has a supreme to eat. then we will have ice cream. I have my dairy-free made with coconut milk.

For TWA

3 pounds pork shoulder
Water
1 tablespoon McCormick Seasoning (a must, or salt) Read the ingredients in the McCormicks, you will see why it is so good on this type of regional cookingl
2 large garlic cloves smashed and chopped
1 medium white onion, medium dice or chunks
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder (really, I like more and maybe a pinch of thyme and some cumin if you like it)
Salt
Pepper
warm corn tortillas (soft of course)

Cut the meat and the fat into 1-inch cubes or chunks if you like it that way. Almost cover the meat with water in a heavy and wide pan, I like to use one of those porcelain covered iron pots. Add the McCormicks or salt and boil it but dont put a lid on it. When the water boils, set the heat to simmer, and cook it until all the water has cooked out. Now the meat should be really tender, but not stringy or falling apart. Dont overcook it.
Lower the heat a little bit more and cook it till all the fat has rendered out of it. Keep turning the meat until it is lightly browned all over. This whole part should take about 1 hour or a little more. A slow cooker is good too if you like it soft and stringy, a lot of people do. I dont but its good for tacos like that.
Take the meat out of the pan.
Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of the fat and heat over medium low heat. Add the onions and saute until soft and almost clear. Add the garlic, meat, and chile powder. Cook for a few minutes more, stirring constantly. Season, to taste, with salt or McCormicks and pepper.
Serve this with corn soft tortillas. Some Mexican ladies here do this like stew and add chunky potatoes with the water and others put a palm full of masa in at the last to thicken and flavor it. I think it makes it too much like carne guisada.

This is a little bonus I hope you like

Azteca Avocado Salsa:
3 papayas, peeled, seeded, and diced small
2 mangoes, peeled, diced small
3 avocados, cut into small dice or chunks
1 large red onion, cut into small dice (I really think less onion is better, my husband likes a lot)
1 or 2 red or green jalapeno pepper, minced (If you like them, red is sweeter. My kids like both)
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
2 large limes or limones, juiced
3 tablespoons olive oil, never use mayo

Mix it all together very gently in an earthenware or ceramic bowl or dish.

We drink agua fresca with this, here is a good recipe for a favorite kind that is like an ade.
1 cup sugar
1 qt pure water
Juice of two fresh oranges or 2/3 cup
Juice of two large lemons or 3 T lemon juice
Juice of one lime or 2 T
1 washed orange, sliced
1 washed lemon, sliced
1 washed lime, sliced

Mix the sugar and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and stir till the sugar dissolves. Cool it a bit. Mix this just before serving and serve over ice. I use a big glass pitcher, put ice chunks in it then add everthing and swirl it.

Hope this is what you needed.

Mmmmmmm. I am full and satisfied just from reading this. Thanks Nanna!

We are going out but not sure, which want to a restaurant tonight! :)

Stepmother's Saturday dinner hosting, so I am going to a restaurant also , but don't know where.

MIL has some "Autumn Ministries dinner" this evening and since I drive, I am stuck with it as well. Covered dish at the church.

Son is fixing chicken cacciatore for the family.

I'm having chicken breast stuffed with melted goat cheese with sun dried tomatos, olives, smashed potatoes and salad.

Wirelessly posted

Won ton soup

Pizza, pasta, salad with blue cheese, Diet Coke. (Cici's)

My moms recipe for baked chili-cheese dogs. Simply wonderful. We also had slaw, baked beans, tater tots for the grandson and fresh fruit salad toss.

LDNanna, would love to see that recipe for the baked chili-cheese dogs if possible.

Tonight, I am fixing baked tilapia, rice and peas with a tomato salad.

I made a yummy pot roast today with carrots and potatoes. Mmmmmm !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back