What to do if an important document goes missing?

Done contacted the person. I'm wondering if they're scrambling or something, cause the pay didn't show up when it was supposed to?

Well! The point person just responded back. Hold please.

Update: It was mailed on time, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

This is why federal employees have to submit direct deposit forms prior to starting. If it were me, I'd request the pay the day the work was completed and not wait for it to be received in the mail. Bills I can wait for, not payments.

Laura

oh my. must be a quite sizable wallet you have there!

Oh, yeah; have you seen ladies' handbags these days!? No wonder they don't build attics in houses like they used to! :lol:

This is why federal employees have to submit direct deposit forms prior to starting. If it were me, I'd request the pay the day the work was completed and not wait for it to be received in the mail. Bills I can wait for, not payments.

Laura

If you don't want to get paper bills, why not go paperless? I do that with all of my bills, and it not only saves time and trees, it allows me to pay on-line, as well. Easier than sending out a paper check, which I still have to do for my rent. :(

As for submitting direct deposit, if I find a job, I sure as the heck am gonna make that a priority of mine as soon as I step inside that door-- no waiting for paper checks.

Here's the story. I did some computer work a few months ago, and just last week, they were supposed to send me a check for the work, and the amount of time from the place it gets sent from to here is 24 hours. It's now close to Monday afternoon, and it hasn't yet shown up, and now I've made an official inquiry as to why I do not yet have it.

I am also of the understanding that the holidays just ended; that's no excuse for a late document, and I wanna know why I don't yet have it, and I'm hoping it did not get stolen along the way, cause if it did, I may never see my pay, and I swear, if I got robbed, I'm not gonna be happy.

Are you aware that when people say "the check is in the mail", there is a very, very good chance you are being lied to? That is the number 1 excuse people have when they don't pay their bills.

Do you have a signed invoice for the work you did, including the customer's full name, address, and any other detailed info?

If not....you will have to show up on Judge Judy's show with that customer and face her wrath....and let her decide who is full of it.

p.s. If you did some work for a friend, or a friend of a friend, or a friend of a friend's third cousin, good luck getting the money....

Are you aware that when people say "the check is in the mail", there is a very, very good chance you are being lied to? That is the number 1 excuse people have when they don't pay their bills.

Do you have a signed invoice for the work you did, including the customer's full name, address, and any other detailed info?

If not....you will have to show up on Judge Judy's show with that customer and face her wrath....and let her decide who is full of it.

p.s. If you did some work for a friend, or a friend of a friend, or a friend of a friend's third cousin, good luck getting the money....

No friends or family. It's a legit business, but it's gonna take time, with the extreme weather that's going on right now. The mail hasn't been here for a few days, and probably won't be here until at least Wednesday.

There is that, too. That's why I'd better make darn sure I know where it's at before I ask for a new one. If I do ask for a new one and I find the old one, I would return the new one back to where it came from and tell them I'd found the old one, and that they could keep the new one.
That's not the way it works.

The payer cancels the old check before writing and sending the new check. Even if you find the old check you can't cash it. You must use the new check.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

Reba said:
There is that, too. That's why I'd better make darn sure I know where it's at before I ask for a new one. If I do ask for a new one and I find the old one, I would return the new one back to where it came from and tell them I'd found the old one, and that they could keep the new one.
That's not the way it works.

The payer cancels the old check before writing and sending the new check. Even if you find the old check you can't cash it. You must use the new check.

Oh, okay. Looks like I needed a refresher, cause I've not had to deal with physical direct deposit in a long time, but that'll be changing this year.

If you don't want to get paper bills, why not go paperless? I do that with all of my bills, and it not only saves time and trees, it allows me to pay on-line, as well. Easier than sending out a paper check, which I still have to do for my rent. :(

As for submitting direct deposit, if I find a job, I sure as the heck am gonna make that a priority of mine as soon as I step inside that door-- no waiting for paper checks.

I get both, paper and online account. I pay my bill from one check online and I pay towards that same account via paper. That way the credit card doesn't make money off me and I pay for my travel expenses and gas ahead of time. I know it's different but that's how I keep zero balance on my cards.

I get both, paper and online account. I pay my bill from one check online and I pay towards that same account via paper. That way the credit card doesn't make money off me and I pay for my travel expenses and gas ahead of time. I know it's different but that's how I keep zero balance on my cards.

That's an interesting method there. Seems to work well for you.

Well, it's looking more and more like someone decided to pocket the check for themselves, as the mail arrived today, and it's not yet shown up, and it should have. I've asked both the person responsible for cutting the check and the person in another department where the heck is it? Holidays are done; weather delayed the mail twice, and after all was said and done, it did not show up. I know it wasn't directly deposited into my bank, because I recently checked my account 48 hours ago, and it's not there. If I ever find this thief (if there is one), that person had better have a good hidey-hole.

When I read the title I thought you either physically misplaced an important paper (like a birth certificate), couldn't find a file you saved on your computer, or got a letter from the IRS saying they can't find any of your tax returns.
Agreed. I was ready to hop on an internet site and download the necessary document :) . Glad it was just pay - and that's important but with a contract (assuming you had one), it's a hop, skip, and an L train to small claims.

Our Asheville post office processing plant was obliterated. I'm responsible for collecting homeowner dues. I had two problems. All mail is now routed an hour south of here (no more Asheville post marks) and the Sec. (my partner for now) sends late fee notices. Both missing checks were replaced. I pleaded how anal-retentive and process-oriented I am. One check arrived one month later and the other two months later. I returned them to the owners so they could see I did not lose them. So, these days junk just happens.

Take care. Glad you got paid and we all overreact at different times (well, maybe the Dahli Lama doesn't).

SBirn said:
When I read the title I thought you either physically misplaced an important paper (like a birth certificate), couldn't find a file you saved on your computer, or got a letter from the IRS saying they can't find any of your tax returns.
Agreed. I was ready to hop on an internet site and download the necessary document :) . Glad it was just pay - and that's important but with a contract (assuming you had one), it's a hop, skip, and an L train to small claims.

Our Asheville post office processing plant was obliterated. I'm responsible for collecting homeowner dues. I had two problems. All mail is now routed an hour south of here (no more Asheville post marks) and the Sec. (my partner for now) sends late fee notices. Both missing checks were replaced. I pleaded how anal-retentive and process-oriented I am. One check arrived one month later and the other two months later. I returned them to the owners so they could see I did not lose them. So, these days junk just happens.

Take care. Glad you got paid and we all overreact at different times (well, maybe the Dahli Lama doesn't).

Still hasn't shown up yet. Should have done so today.

Frisky Feline said:
i didnt read it all, did the check arrive yet?

No, and I am MAD. There's some explaining to do.

Tousi said:

No, and I am MAD. There's some explaining to do.

I wouldn't be MAD at this point yet but that's just me.......

Ah, well. It is you, because after all the chaotic mess we were in, I should already have it.

Back