What to do if an important document goes missing?

One more piece of advice. Direct deposit.

For employed people only. I wasn't hired on an official basis, so I have to wait until it shows up, but if I DO ever get hired for a job, that is exactly what I will do, rest assured.

Remembering the time I misplaced a $5,000 check...:roll:...tore the bedroom up and down.....raising "cain"....I did find it tho'....

Heck now they mobile banking as well. You can take a picture of your check and deposit from say.....your bathroom. Where ever.

That's why I need to upgrade my phone-- so I can have more features. I DO have mobile banking already, but not the picture of my check part, though, and that would be nice to have.

For employed people only. I wasn't hired on an official basis, so I have to wait until it shows up, but if I DO ever get hired for a job, that is exactly what I will do, rest assured.

Government checks can be direct deposited. In fact they push people to do it to save on paper. (and stamps I'm sure)

ah that reminds me of this little incident few weeks ago.

a couple weeks ago - I was cleaning my truck to get ready for a road trip to Toronto... I found a check on the floor in passenger area. I contacted my friend about it and he was so relieved because he was getting his ass chewed out by his gf for "misplaced document". I mailed it to them and all is well. they were in my vehicle earlier for a ride to surprise party in city.

Remembering the time I misplaced a $5,000 check...:roll:...tore the bedroom up and down.....raising "cain"....I did find it tho'....

OMG $5.000 I would have been sick. I misplaced a $60 gift card from Christmas Eve. I went out to the garbage and picked through some pretty gross stuff. Didn't find it out there. Decided I was not going to dig in trash anymore. Came in, got a drink, placed it on this white tupperware thing I use next to my chair and there it was. I had been looking for a red envelope, it was white and blended right in. I hate when I misplace something.

Government checks can be direct deposited. In fact they push people to do it to save on paper. (and stamps I'm sure)

Yes, and it's also federal law, too.

Government to Use Direct Deposit, Stop Printing Checks - ABC News

All Government Benefit Checks Moving to Direct Deposit in 2013 - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/ArticleFolder/269/Direct-Deposit

I started government direct deposit as soon as I heard about it nearly 4 years ago. Still do it to this day.

hmm.... why not just explain your situation and ask for another check?

For $5,000? Yeah, I don't think many people are gonna give you another $5,000 check if you misplaced the first one and couldn't find it, but if you found it, and did deposit it, then there's no need to mention it got misplaced.

It was a personal check...and I needed to take it to the bank that very day....Found it after tearing my wallet apart since I had stuck in wayyyy back in there....

For $5,000? Yeah, I don't think many people are gonna give you another $5,000 check if you misplaced the first one and couldn't find it, but if you found it, and did deposit it, then there's no need to mention it got misplaced.

you can just notify the bank to cancel that check and write another one. and I don't think somebody would dare to double-deposit it... that's just asking for a jail time.

They cancel the first check and reissue a new one. It's done.

It was a personal check...and I needed to take it to the bank that very day....Found it after tearing my wallet apart since I had stuck in wayyyy back in there....

That deep? Yikes!! I tend to leave that kind of stuff locked up until I'm ready to make a deposit, so I don't do THIS.

I bet you stuck it way in the back so you wouldn't lose it, right? :lol:

you can just notify the bank to cancel that check and write another one. and I don't think somebody would dare to double-deposit it... that's just asking for a jail time.

There is that, too. That's why I'd better make darn sure I know where it's at before I ask for a new one. If I do ask for a new one and I find the old one, I would return the new one back to where it came from and tell them I'd found the old one, and that they could keep the new one.

oh my. must be a quite sizable wallet you have there!

They cancel the first check and reissue a new one. It's done.

Happened to me once before when my government checks were stolen. I never found out who it was, but they had to re-issue new ones, which I had to wait 2 weeks for. After that, I began direct deposit, and I haven't had any problems since then.

Back