What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

In general, any noise is not a good sign. It means something is wrong usually. Better have them let us know so we can take care of it.

I was notified that my washer was beeping. So I go and look and the lights are on and blinking. No clue why so I turned it off. Don't want to waste lights/electricity. Other time, was notified one of the smoke alarms was beeping. Needed batteries.

In general, any noise is not a good sign. It means something is wrong usually. Better have them let us know so we can take care of it.

I was notified that my washer was beeping. So I go and look and the lights are on and blinking. No clue why so I turned it off. Don't want to waste lights/electricity. Other time, was notified one of the smoke alarms was beeping. Needed batteries.

Creaky floors?

Have I, as a hearie, ticked you guys off lately? I feel bad that this thread sooo long. I feel like a loser being a hearie and all. :-(

Creaky floors?

Could be a serious structural issue.... Possibly even termites or carpenter ants. Creaky floors, especially in homes built in the last 20 years can be a very bad sign.

BecLak wrote:
Exactly yet people still insist I speak with them. Just because I can, doesn't mean it's the better way. They say I'm outnumbered so I have to comply. Written Language is a middle ground, why can't they be courteous enough to at least meet in the middle? It doesn't hurt them any especially since nearly everyone texts these days.

I'd like to respond to this. At least in the United States, in public schools, children are taught to conform to the ways of the school. For "hearies" (of which I am one) speaking is easier and faster than writing. It wouldn't occur to most hearing people that speaking might not be the best way to communicate. Thank you for opening my mind to that.

I personally haven't seen this movie yet but my sister has. I really want to see it.

Me too.

I have seen the movie "Sound and fury" and "Children of a Less God". My fave tv show is "Sue Thomas FBeye" I love Sue Thomas and her dog Levi.
He is such a smart dog. I wish I had a dog like that. But, my mountain dog
helps me alot and I love him.:ily:

Have I, as a hearie, ticked you guys off lately? I feel bad that this thread sooo long. I feel like a loser being a hearie and all. :-(

it's ok. People make mistakes all the time. I'm a hearie myself. You live in
learn. God forgives and so should the Deaf community. Just be yourself and don't cover your mouth when you communicate with a deafie. Make sure you don't mock them, but understand them. It will be ok.

I miss being in the deaf community. I live in the mountains. No deafies here.
Thanks for your post.

BecLak wrote:
Exactly yet people still insist I speak with them. Just because I can, doesn't mean it's the better way. They say I'm outnumbered so I have to comply. Written Language is a middle ground, why can't they be courteous enough to at least meet in the middle? It doesn't hurt them any especially since nearly everyone texts these days.

I'd like to respond to this. At least in the United States, in public schools, children are taught to conform to the ways of the school. For "hearies" (of which I am one) speaking is easier and faster than writing. It wouldn't occur to most hearing people that speaking might not be the best way to communicate. Thank you for opening my mind to that.

Usually when I see a deafie, I ask if the sign or speak. I don't ask if I see them signing. I only saw 1 deafie in the mountains where I live. I saw her signing and I knew she was a signing deafie. I said hello and introduced myself. I love to sign to deafies. So it's no problem. What makes me mad at hearies is, they know sign language but prefer not to use it.

I'm old school when it comes to the deaf community.:ty:

I hate when friends or family talk to me while I am not in front of them. (Like talk to me while I am facing the other direction.) THEN tell me "I was talking to you." I get this.. 'are you kidding me' look on my face. Like, HELLO I couldn't hear you!!! Why would you even attempt that!?

Unfortunately it happens a lot. My fiance will scream up to me from downstairs... and sometimes I do actually hear he is screaming but not what he is saying 90% of the time. It just makes me so angry he would/will come up to me and say 'I was yelling upt o you' or 'I was talking to you'. It infuriates me!

THEY FORGET I AM HoH!

I get that a lot! It didn't dawn on me why people do that until a hearing friend said "You talk so well that I forget you're deaf". Stereotypes.. don't you hate them?

My pet peeve as HoH goes along the lines of:

Wife: "Darling can you come here please?"
Wife: SHOUTS: "Darling I need you!"
Me: "Where are you?"
Wife: "I'm here"
Me: "Where?" :shock:

You know, with only one ear capable of receiving semi-decent levels of sound, I have absolutely zero location skills as to WHERE the sound (if I hear it) comes from...

And don't even get me started on the 'Never mind'.... :nono:

I'm a newbie and hoh. The list of frustrations with people is pretty spot on from what I see. Not much to add to it except its hard to explain to people that my hearing isn't the same every day. People don't get the news about fluctuations and distortions and why I heard their voice one day and couldn't the next. I don't expect them to know all that is happening but I try to tell people and usually get blank stares.

And I found people don't get that my hearing aid doesn't always help me. It's not a magic tool as someone said. Anyway I enjoyed these posts and learned some as well

I have one vent for anyone. I hate when no one can change the roll of toilet paper after they emptied the roll and you realize it to late. Is it that hard to do? Ok that may be way off topic.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

:lol:...(at this thread)....what's ticking me off is one friend who constantly (but maybe) not meaning to...is insulting my intellect....:giggle:...She seems to think (or believe)....I'm not understanding of anything....I've yet to :roll: at her...BUT...sooner or later...feel I'm gonna give her a lesson...and it will be "well learned".

I have a manager who thinks I can hear everything he says whether he is near me, walking away and talking or on other side of our shop. I've explained over and over that I can only hear within a few feet and he has to face me etc to talk.

Maybe I can get him hypnotized or something.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I found it hilarious for me. I work with hearing people. There are a few of my co workers in my office. They knew that I am Deaf, and use ASL all the way, yet they continue to raise their voice so loud when they talk to me. :lol: One of them finallly figured out that return to normal voice after a year and he's my supervisor. One new supervisor came two weeks ago, and he raises his voice so loud. Ironic that I spotted my supervisor smiled on his face when he saw me and the new supervisor were having a conversation. :lol:

:lol:...(at this thread)....what's ticking me off is one friend who constantly (but maybe) not meaning to...is insulting my intellect....:giggle:...She seems to think (or believe)....I'm not understanding of anything....I've yet to :roll: at her...BUT...sooner or later...feel I'm gonna give her a lesson...and it will be "well learned".

video that then you tube it lol

This could be a new one for most of you, some people use charades to get their point across. On occasion, I take a break from using my CI, sometimes I am sensitive to sounds and I feel like a cat about to hit the ceiling on a pin drop! Seems coincidence loves to invite itself unexpectedly. So toward the end of my work hour, sans CI, a guy apparently asks me where the restroom was located. I told him I could not hear him and as I was reaching for my CI, he proceeded to mimic the 'urinating & shake it' stance. Blushing and all, I pointed to a location directly behind him. :crazy:

:laugh2::laugh2:
thats funny

When someone KNOWS you can't locate sounds, and yells "I'm over here". Where the -bleep- is over here!?!

Back