What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

1) Talking to me from a different room
2) Talking with food in the mouth
3) Mumbling
4) Turning their head in a different direction
5) People with heavy accents calling me on the phone AFTER I have told the annoying company to use native English operators.
6) People who say 'Huh?' when you tell them you have a hearing impairment. These people should have Q-Tips shoved into their ears till they bleed.
7) Getting pissed at me when I don't understand them after they do one of the above.

And don't even get me started on the 'Never mind'.... :nono:
Haha, my dad beat my ass for never mind, never understood until I experienced it myself...

The futility of certain people who continue to communicate and do not understand the necessity to adapt if they want communication to be effective.

There is at least one person I work with who talks to me all the time and falls completely silent to me no matter what. I pretend to hear him until I cannot take it anymore and just tell him I cannot hear a single word.

Trying to make struggles seem more universal and minimal to justify the lack of adapting or accepting the way I hear (or not) .. that goes out to the parents out there.

.. oh and this one, "I think ASL is a beautiful language" ..
I think shared culture of any kind is beautiful if you understand the context.
I see it as a necessary and optimal way to communicate, maybe the more I learn, the more that beauty of the language itself will reveal itself.

So many people do this and it drives me batty.

I even have a co-worker who has a deaf son, so it seems like she would understand not to do that, but she still does.

Yeah, slowing your speaking only makes lip reading harder... you ass tart. :roll:

Wow, someone with a deaf son does that?! That's just pathetic... :shock: You'd think they'd be more understanding... Maybe their son if younger and they haven't got the full understanding yet? :hmm:

Yeah, slowing your speaking only makes lip reading harder... you ass tart. :roll:

Wow, someone with a deaf son does that?! That's just pathetic... :shock: You'd think they'd be more understanding... Maybe their son if younger and they haven't got the full understanding yet? :hmm:

Good guess, but no. Her son is in his 30's. She might just be old-fashioned or old school or something.

I had a woman the other day at church hear me vocalized with my kids. She then asked me (with an accusatory face) how long I had been deaf. I told her that I wasn't deaf, I was hard of hearing, and that I lost my hearing about a year ago. She proceeded to say I couldn't be deaf because I " DONT SOUND LIKE THIS" and she made a scrunched up derpy face and started talking with her tongue between her teeth. I'm guessing she was trying to emulate a deaf persons voice. Worst part was that this lady signs during service..... like she's aparrantly been around enough deaf people to have a working knowledge of pse/asl.... I almost threw up I was so mad.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I had a woman the other day at church hear me vocalized with my kids. She then asked me (with an accusatory face) how long I had been deaf. I told her that I wasn't deaf, I was hard of hearing, and that I lost my hearing about a year ago. She proceeded to say I couldn't be deaf because I " DONT SOUND LIKE THIS" and she made a scrunched up derpy face and started talking with her tongue between her teeth. I'm guessing she was trying to emulate a deaf persons voice. Worst part was that this lady signs during service..... like she's aparrantly been around enough deaf people to have a working knowledge of pse/asl.... I almost threw up I was so mad.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

What a weird person.

Yesterday we went to the spice store, and although I had my list written on my iPod, the owner had to ask me the sizes I wanted. Unfortunately, "small" and "bigger" aren't two of my best letter combinations to pronounce and I know I sound like a very small child.

He got the first small size with just a bit of and involuntary smile, but when we got to "bigger", the smile was huge and he said something to my husband like, "She is definite, on the bigger size for this one." Arghhh...

When we left I told my husband that type thing used to really irritate me but I am becoming more relaxed in my old age. My husband told me, "No , you are shaking with fury..."

Oh well, someday I won't let that sort of thing bother me. Or I will just remember everything that could come up and write it out before I get there. :aw:

Yesterday we went to the spice store, and although I had my list written on my iPod, the owner had to ask me the sizes I wanted. Unfortunately, "small" and "bigger" aren't two of my best letter combinations to pronounce and I know I sound like a very small child.

He got the first small size with just a bit of and involuntary smile, but when we got to "bigger", the smile was huge and he said something to my husband like, "She is definite, on the bigger size for this one." Arghhh...

When we left I told my husband that type thing used to really irritate me but I am becoming more relaxed in my old age. My husband told me, "No , you are shaking with fury..."

Oh well, someday I won't let that sort of thing bother me. Or I will just remember everything that could come up and write it out before I get there. :aw:

so know the feeling

1. My big frustration with hearing people is some of them still don't believe that d/Deaf people have their own culture and some of them still ask me questions about signs even they already know signs or something they already learned about ASL and Deaf Culture.

2. If someone keeps sending me many texting messages such as same questions many times about Deaf Culture or/and ASL I already answered, I would to warn them I will press harassment charge if they continue to harass me.

3. If someone keeps asking me about Deaf Culture or/and ASL I already answered, I walk away and ignore them. Or I can tell them they can go to ASL classes.

I had one today. I went up to campus to pay on my law school tuition. I was wearing my HA in my right ear and this work study student (undergraduate student I assume) was helping the office staff. She notices my pregnant belly and asks something quietly. I didn't understand her (I think she was deliberately whispering) and asked her repeat the question. She asked, "How do pregnant women wear hearing aids?"

I sort of just stared at her and replied, "We wear them so babies can hear idiots approaching." Apparently she believed because the office staff laughed at this girl. Typically people don't notice my HAs...so I was rather surprised this happened.

I'm a bit annoyed. I'm not even deaf and got asked a stupid question...it made me appreciate how deaf people somehow manage to deal with stupid questions all the time.

My pet peeve is some hearing people (most of them are professionals) know what is the best for Deaf children. They are such dumb.

Just like anything else in life; some do, some don't.....we have to educate one person at a time. Things are much better today for us than 50 years ago so keep on trucking'.......

Just like anything else in life; some do, some don't.....we have to educate one person at a time. Things are much better today for us than 50 years ago so keep on trucking'.......

Yes, educating some people is really exhausting, if you ask me.

Back